A Summary of Newsgroup postings made to R.G.M.H.
Please excuse the rough look of the following
simple text. I hope to have a more complete and readable tome
on the subject of slapping paint on little metal (and plastic)
men up one day. Until then, I hope those who manage to work their
way through the following will find something of what I have to
The original question that a poster on RGMH asked was how to
paint American Civil War figures in a neat and clean way prompted
all my subsequent postings. So while the 'Gettin Good' articles
dealt specifically with the ACW in all the examples, the techniques
and methods can be applied equally to ancients, napoleonics, fantasy
and science-fiction. As a visit to my photo galleries should demonstrate.
- Gettin' Good: An introduction,
explanation and disclaimer.
- Part 1: How to get good at
painting? A professional's opinion.
- Part 2: How to get good at
painting? Dissenting opinions are heard.
- Part 3: The selection, care
and feeding of brushes.
- Part 4: Questions and answers
from the gentle readers.
- Part 5: A primer on using stains
- Part 6: Ragged Rebs (or painting
irregular units in a regular way).
- Part 7: Painting Ponies I.
Just what sort of beast is that, anyway?
- Part 8: Painting Ponies II.
Your basic black, brown and chestnut horses.
- Part 9: Painting Ponies III.
Fancies - whites, greys, duns and finishing touches.
- Part 10: A primer on stripes,
checks and tartan plaids.