MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-03-02 02:47:17

bbrodka

Using Song Fingerprints

Many of us would love a way to auto correct missing or invalid meta data in our tags, We want to do it painlessly with as little manual typing as posible
Several companies are starting to offer song fingerprint databases on-line for programers to write aplications around

AMG in my opinion, would be the best option, as they have the cleanest database, but there licensing fee may be high, BUT consider making it a paid option for MP3-BOSS
http://www.allmediaguide.com/lasso/

Another ooption would be MusicBrainz, But I find there data is not as acurate, as it is user submitted, but it is FREE, and would be better then nothing
http://www.musicbrainz.org/products/cli … nload.html
Musicbrainz DB is released under the public domain.
http://www.musicbrainz.org/news/licenses.html

Some other interesting info relationg to song fingerprinting
http://www.audiblemagic.com/software_api.html
http://www.audiblemagic.com/documents/SongID DataSheet.pdf
http://www.relatable.com

Last edited by bbrodka (2005-03-02 02:47:55)

#2 2005-03-03 04:29:50

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Using Song Fingerprints

I noticed that there wasn't any pricing information...that gets me worried!

For the free fingerprinters, I can't directly support c code/modules in MP3-Boss, so that is a problem.

#3 2005-03-03 15:19:21

bbrodka

I did get an email from them all they really told me was it was for developers only, I asked if anyone had an utotagger using their data but they did not provide me any info, I searched and searched.

If you think you could do the project, see how much they want, if it is a one time fee, I would be willing to anny up a few hundred bucks to help you if needed, posibly others would feel the same anyone out there? - opinions?

If you could make it to market with this, I think you would be the first one to do it, AMG metadata would be the cleanest database in my opinion

#4 2005-04-04 09:56:35

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

bbrodka wrote:

I did get an email from them all they really told me was it was for developers only, I asked if anyone had an utotagger using their data but they did not provide me any info, I searched and searched.

If you think you could do the project, see how much they want, if it is a one time fee, I would be willing to anny up a few hundred bucks to help you if needed, posibly others would feel the same anyone out there? - opinions?

If you could make it to market with this, I think you would be the first one to do it, AMG metadata would be the cleanest database in my opinion

I sent them an email a few weeks ago...no response.

#5 2006-03-12 13:18:00

bbrodka

John, A Posible new solution just evolved today
Check it out smile
----------
MusicDNS is a fingerprint-based metadata lookup system. Free for non-commercial use.

What Can You Do With MusicDNS?

Anything you want! MusicDNS is built on the Open Fingerprint Architecture, which lets anyone in the world identify their music acoustically. The only limit is your imagination. Here’s some of the ideas we’ve heard so far:

- Find duplicate songs (songs which have the same portable unique identifier will be from the same master recordings)
- Fix your metadata (you can retrieve accurate artist and title metadata and update your tags)
- Connect into a bigger world of data (you can use portable unique identifiers to find out more about your tracks from MusicBrainz – the biggest community music metadatabase in the world)
- Share information about your songs at an acoustic level (for instance, adding portable unique identifiers into your playlists will allow people to easily see which of those songs are also in their collection. You could add acoustic id’s to any website which lets people submit information about music – this will allow other tools to quickly and accurately connect data from different websites).

What’s your Big Idea? Now you have the power to make it happen!

For more info, check out http://www.musicdns.org

#6 2006-06-04 15:43:25

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I sent a request to GraceNote today, since it doesn't look like MusicDNS is actually doing anything other than CDDB.  MusicBrainz TRM looked cool -- but they are discontinuing all support this September (2006) -- since the lookup method doesn't scale.

I would REALLY like to implement this in MP3-Boss -- I've tried a bunch of different available techniques, and none of them seem to work very well unless you already have all the information about the song.

#7 2006-07-12 11:34:45

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

It looks like GraceNote is very commercial oriented...meaning probably not interested in a 'fun' project like MP3-Boss.

I actually have the MusicDNS example.exe working now...using MP3-Boss to get the PUID if the song doesn't include the artist tag.  However, it looks just about half actually have the PUID information in the MusicDNS database (or maybe the matching is just bad).  I'm currently testing it on my files.   It DOES seem to make it easier to get good Artist/Title information when the filename format isn't any good.  Instead of processing several songs per second...it takes probably 5 seconds to process a single song (and that is on a 2.2GHz AMD 64 X2 Dual with 2GB RAM)...and while processing, the computer is not very responsive. 

Is 5-10 seconds per song worth it?  How long does it take TagRunner (or other tag-search programs) to get similar information? 

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

#8 2006-07-22 15:18:28

bbrodka

I still think MusicDNS is the way to go, it is starting to mature

I also use their MusicIP program, he just sent me a pre-beta ver 1.7 which will now do tagging on he artist and tittle at this point, more tags will follow
MIP did take a long time to fingerprint my files, and I store the fingerprint in the tag
Once fingerprinting is done MusicDNS seems to be able to process requests very fast, I submited over 8,000 files at one time and it was done processing them within 5 or 6 min

I think the secret is to add the fingerprint to your database or tag
The way you have to do things now is you have to generate the fingerprint, then do the lookup and fingerprinting is resouce intensive

#9 2006-07-22 15:36:25

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

v0.605 stores the fingerprints, but doesn't show them.  It also stores information on which songs were sent for fingerprinting, and which songs returned artist/title information.

v0.606 will show the fingerprints in the detail view.

#10 2006-09-12 08:40:10

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

v0.606 lets you get the fingerprints for only the songs that don't have tags, or for ALL songs.  However...the calculation is VERY slow -- about 5000 songs processed in 24 hours.

At some point in the future I'll add the ability to rescan fingerprints for songs that are missing the fingerprint.  That way you can do a quick scan to fill up your list...but get better information at a later time.

I also plan to use the fingerprints as part of duplicate checking...to show songs that are 'identical' even if they have different bitrates.

Do you have examples of songs with embedded fingerprints?

I'd appreciate your comments!

Board footer