MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-03-20 08:38:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

v0.599 Beta released - March 20, 2005

NOTE: 03/21/2005 -- a Form_Activate error bug has been found in this release. 

A v0.600 Bugfix release will be available within a day or so...YOU MAY WANT TO WAIT FOR v0.600!

Lots of fixes, and a major new feature.

Configuration "SendTo" tab lets you create up to 3 new right-click menu options in ListView to send the selected mp3 file to a music editor, hex editor, alternate player etc.
Bugfix: Shuffle status wasn't being updated/set correctly for Winamp 5.x
A number of fixes to Artist Fixup (some of these may have been the cause for sporadic reports of Artist Fixup changes being lost):
First artist automatically loaded into the song-title table when the form is loaded. Correct row is highlighted after the title is updated.
Artist/Title/Category correctly updated from the song list table.
No longer able to select more than 1 title at a time in the song list table.
KeyUp/KeyDown now correctly moves the scrollbar in the Artist list when multiselect is OFF.

Beta 0.599 update release:
http://www.creaturesgreat.com/mp3update599.zip

Beta 0.599 full version release:
http://www.creaturesgreat.com/mp3boss599.zip

In theory you should only need the v0.599 update release.  However, if you want to do a full installation, you can use the v0.599 full version release.  Don't forget to backup what you have!  In particular, it is possible that a final release might require that you revert back to v0.582 data (or earlier) because of database update issues.

#2 2005-03-20 16:20:09

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: v0.599 Beta released - March 20, 2005

I was testing the new SendTo command, and realized I didn't document it at all.

To add a menu item, you need to go to the new "SendTo" tab in configuration (available from the Switchboard).

Once you are there, you double-click one of the commands in the "Progam to Execute" List Box.  That will add that command in the next free Shell position.

If the program isn't listed, just double-click "<CUSTOM>" and browse to the program you want to run. 

I recommend making one of the programs the ALBA extractor so you can very easily unwrap your Albumwrap albums.  You can get the ALBA extractor (usually works better than Albumwrap extractor) at:
http://alba.sourceforge.net/

If you want the original Albumwrap extractor, you can get it at:
http://www.infamus.com/albumwrap/extractor.html
because of a serious Albumwrap bug, this extractor is mainly useful if the wrap has been damaged by tag editing
Albumwrap Info

I already found a SendTo bug:
If you've already loaded ListView, any changes to the Shell description won't be updated until the next time you run MP3-Boss.

#3 2005-03-21 12:15:06

yahs

John,

Downloaded and installed 0.599 upgrade last night, but I have had problems.

I have MP3Boss on Drive L:\program Files\MP3BOSS so I asked to install on top as I have done with previous versions. However after the install finished, I opened MP3Boss but it still said v 0.598. I then tried another install this time to Drive C:\programFiles\MP3Boss and I got version 0.599 to appear. However the opening screen was very slow abd after Winamp had loaded, I got the following error mesage when I clicked on Mp3 List.

Error in sublist

Form_Activate() EventError #5 occured in Sublist.
Invalid procedure call or argument.

Do you wish to retry?

If I say yes nothing happens, if I say no the message disappears and the program runs as normal. All my data is in place complete with my changes of font etc.

This message now appears every time I run MP3Boss

I have used Control panel to uninstall Mp3Boss and I tried again however I didn't get the MP3Boss icon on the dektop to run the program and if I click on the mpeg or data file in Mp3Boss directory My Access 2003 kicks in and says I can't run those files. When I click on the Access97 runtime I get a message saying it can't find the file as no database specified.

I'm about to download the full 0.599 program and do a complete reinstall, but if you need to know anything let me know and I'll see if I can recreate the problem

SK

#4 2005-03-21 13:04:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

yahs wrote:

Downloaded and installed 0.599 upgrade last night, but I have had problems...after the install finished, I opened MP3Boss but it still said v 0.598.

Has anyone else seen this?  The installation routine hasn't changed at all in many versions.

...the opening screen was very slow...

The first load after an update can be slow because configuration information is being updated.  By "Opening Screen" do you mean the switchboard or List View.  I'm not sure why the List View load speed changes sometimes.  MP3-Boss waits until Winamp is loaded and returns version information before it shows the List View screen.  If Winamp is slow to load, then this can be a long wait.  Maybe I should start Winamp load when MP3-Boss is sitting at switchboard?

...I got the following error mesage when I clicked on Mp3 List.
Error in sublist.  Form_Activate() EventError #5 occured in Sublist. Invalid procedure call or argument. Do you wish to retry?  If I say no the message disappears and the program runs as normal.

I have duplicated this bug.  It happens when there aren't any Right-click SendTo menu items configured.  Let me know if the error goes away when you add a SendTo item (SendTo tab in configuration).

...uninstall Mp3Boss and I tried again however I didn't get the MP3Boss icon on the dektop

Was this with a full installation?  Any idea what happened? 

I'm about to download the full 0.599 program and do a complete reinstall...

Let me know if the installation goes OK.  I will get a 0.600 beta out soon with a fix for the Form_Activate error.

Thanks for your help!

#5 2005-03-21 14:00:02

yahs

I have downloaded and installed the complete 0.599 program I tried drive L: and asked for the old database to be restored which it did but I still got the error on startup.

Yes the first load up after an upgrade is often slow and sometimes asks for registration but the screen I am refering to is the Switchboard. My copy of Winamp v0.58c loads pretty quickly so that isn't a problem.

I used Control panel to remove MP3Boss and did a fresh install to drive c: and asked for a new database.

I have rescanned my music folder and reloaded the program. Everything ran smoothly, MP3Boss starts quickly and Winamp loads when I click on MP3List  but the error message remains. ( There is a brief outline of a message box that appears greyed out on the right hand side of the switchbox before Winamp Loads in a different part of the screen and just below where the error message about the Form_Activate appears)
I suspect that the data on L: has been corrupted but not sure how or why. I have applied all upgrades since 0.57 doing a mixture of upgrading and fresh installs

I'll check out your comments about the SendTo option and let you know what I get

SK

#6 2005-03-21 14:15:26

yahs

John

Yes, the error does go away when you add a SendTo option as you suggest.

I am still getting what looks like a text box before Winamp loads.
I haven't changed the default screen colours so I have the main switchboard on a grey background.

When I click MP3 List A grey (background colour) rectangular box appears just under the m of mp3 in the web address down to the line where Reports is listed ans across and off to the right of the switchboard area. Once winamp has loaded in a different part of the screen the box disappears and everything works fine.

My impression is that the program works quicker than the previous  versions

SK

#7 2005-03-21 15:09:01

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

yahs wrote:

Yes, the error does go away when you add a SendTo option as you suggest.

Thanks for confirming this.

I am still getting what looks like a text box before Winamp loads.
When I click MP3 List A grey (background colour) rectangular box appears just under the m of mp3 in the web address down to the line where Reports is listed ans across and off to the right of the switchboard area. Once winamp has loaded in a different part of the screen the box disappears and everything works fine.

What resolution screen? 
Does anybody else see this?

My impression is that the program works quicker than the previous versions

Probably because you are using MM:SS for songlength.  The new version speeds that up (the HH:MM:SS times are stored instead of calculated).

#8 2005-03-21 15:10:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

yahs wrote:

I suspect that the data on L: has been corrupted but not sure how or why. I have applied all upgrades since 0.57 doing a mixture of upgrading and fresh installs

Have you tried "Optimize Data" and "Optimize Database" from the Start/Programs/MP3Boss menu?  Maybe that will repair the problem.  If this doesn't fix it, could you send me a ZIP copy of DATA.MDB and I'll take a look?

#9 2005-03-24 11:56:28

yahs

John

Haven't used my Pc for a few days so a few points about 0.599.

I have removed all my old data as it wasn't needed and I have everything up and running okay, so I don't have a problem with old data as such.

I do have a problem/query though with the opening screen as I mentioned. On running MP3Boss today I get to the switchboard okay, then when I click on Mp3 List I get what looks like an empty control or form box that flashes white before Winamp loads. I've tried this with different screen resolutions and it makes no difference. I am using  1024 x 768 most of the time. Another thing that happened today is that after winamp loaded I did not get the normal list view just a plain grey background. I minimised the screen then maximised and got the normal list view. This doesn't happen if I then close and reopen MP3Boss (having also Closed winamp) but if I reboot and reload MP3Boss I am geting the same start up effect. As I say, it looks as though an empty form or control box (same size as the Winamp Control box) is trying to load then the screen goes grey and I have to close and open to see the data in List view.

SK

#10 2005-03-24 13:01:36

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

yahs wrote:

John
I do have a problem/query though with the opening screen as I mentioned...
SK

Could you get a copy of the screen and email it to me?

Have you added a SendTo item so that you don't get that Form_Activate problem?

#11 2005-03-24 13:50:50

yahs

John,

I have added a SendTo item to stop the Form_Activate problem but I am unable to get a screen shot. Printscreen just gives an icon and Corel capture says it is an incomplete Bitmap. I am inclined to start again at 0.57 and apply all the upgrades to see what happens.

SK

#12 2005-03-24 14:30:57

yahs

John
I've rolled back to 0.57 and I still get the opening screen as described above. I'm going to roll back my copy of winamp and see what happens. If nothing changes, I'll restore an image file from a few weeks ago and start again, as I'm pretty sure I didn't have this screen before I upgraded to 0.599

SK

#13 2005-03-24 17:43:18

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Anyone else seeing this screen problem?

#14 2005-03-25 14:57:17

yahs

John
I think I have solved my problem with the screen. After trying different settings, I have a copy of winamp 5.05 with no plugins installed and my screen problem has disappeared. I had a number of plug-ins such as audiostocker, pitchfork, stockmuxer and milkdrop. I 'll probably reload one at a time for my own benefit to see where the conflict is.
many thanks and look forward to the next release.
SK

Board footer