MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-05-06 04:29:13

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Embedded Pic directory v0.602

The "Scanning" tab of the "Configuration" dialog has a selection for "Embedded Pic directory".

This is the directory where MP3-Boss stores embedded GIF/JPG/BMP files so that it can quickly show those files on the "Pictures" tab of Detail.

There is a problem if you either have tons of Mp3 files, or if you keep starting the MP3-Boss database from scratch.  See comments below.

Anybody with other suggestions on how to handle this?

>  Ran out of disk space on system disk (C:). Music files
>  were on USB drive (G:). Found 3GB of jpg files in MP3-Boss directory
>  on C:. Suggest that you a) warn user that free space is dangerously
>  low, b) place files on same drive as MP3s or c) give user option to
>  specify location. Running out of space on system drive may be
>  un-recoverable for average user.

>>  I didn't think about this!  3GB of JPG files -- Oh NO!  I'll have to add
>>  a checkbox to NOT save the embedded files.  Any idea why so many?  I guess
>>  13K files x 1MB each = 13GB, so I guess 3GB of embedded stuff is possible.

>>>Size ranged from several KB up to 300KB. Would think that removal and
>>>re-install of MP3-Boss would have cleaned jpg files (there were
>>>thousands of them when I found the folder during cleanup).  They are
>>>gone now and I see what returns during re-scan.

>>>>Does the "Embedded Pics Directory" on the "Scanning" tab of Configuration >>>>point to your drive C:?  I had forgotten that I'd already added that item to >>>>configuration...but I didn't expect 3GB of files.  I suppose if I find that I'm >>>>loading MP3-Boss for the first time after a new install...I could ask if you want >>>>the files from the last install deleted.  I can also add a checkbox "Don't save >>>>embedded pics".  Maybe too I can add the size of all of the files to the >>>>statistics screen, and monitor the freespace for that drive during scanning.  >>>>Comments?

#2 2005-05-07 03:46:21

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Embedded Pic directory v0.602

I don't absolutely have to save the picture data to a separate directory...although the advantage is that you can view the album covers & such in thumbnails under WinXP -- so you get an idea of what you have.  Also, if I have to extract the info. for every detail view, it would take longer (although I could hold off the extraction if you didn't have the picture tab selected). 

I really didn't think that the pictures would end up taking 3GB (I assumed a few percent of the mp3 space at most).

I'll at least add a "Don't write pictures" checkbox.

Comments?

#3 2005-05-16 12:06:19

yahs

John

I don't know if any of this is any use but as regards the problem of storing pictures, before discovering MP3Boss I used (still do!!) a program called orangecd. I use the program to store my cd's in the form of albums, so after a media scan i can download the album cover to match the cd.
Orangecd has a warning message that if the thumbnail exceeds 32k( default setting which can be altered) it asks if you want to store in an external directory and the latest version also asks if you want to store the thumbnails in the database. Another feature is a slider bar allowing you to alter the image quality and consequently the file size

SK

#4 2005-05-16 12:34:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

yahs wrote:

John

I don't know if any of this is any use but as regards the problem of storing pictures, before discovering MP3Boss I used (still do!!) a program called orangecd. I use the program to store my cd's in the form of albums, so after a media scan i can download the album cover to match the cd.
Orangecd has a warning message that if the thumbnail exceeds 32k( default setting which can be altered) it asks if you want to store in an external directory and the latest version also asks if you want to store the thumbnails in the database. Another feature is a slider bar allowing you to alter the image quality and consequently the file size

SK

Sounds like a good idea...perhaps instead of "Don't write pictures" I could set a maximum size.  It is surprising how many mp3 files have 1MB embedded pictures!  Seems like quite a waste of space when mainly you want to just listen to those files.

Board footer