MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-09-19 20:31:41

ralph

v0.603: ID3v2 genre tags

Re:  version 2 genre tags.  I tried a tag update on set of bluegrass files.  MP3b filled the v2 genre field with the number 89.  Is 89 a  'lookup' number for v2 genre?

#2 2005-09-20 17:11:51

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: v0.603: ID3v2 genre tags

Yes -- 89 =Bluegrass.

For the ID3v2 genre tags -- I guess I should be filling in the text instead of the ID3v1 number?

What should I do if the song has Genre + User_Category that is different than the genre?  Should I do something like:

Oldies, Christmas

Or should I leave out the User_Category?  Or should I do something else?

#3 2005-09-20 18:55:02

ralph

The subject of genre has always been a difficult one for me, especially as my library size and range increased.   Once I got MP3B, good-formed genre was important in order to sort and search.   But, I always had great difficulty in deciding between related types.   For instance, is an album salsa or latin?  Or, country or bluegrass?  Should tracks within an album be the same genre?

I typically ignored ID3v2 tag genre.  In fact, I used a utility to "preprocess" Mp3's to remove v2 data.  Recently I acquired an MP3  player (Creative Zen).   I think it requires v2 info so, now I have to pay attention to these fields if I want a good display.  Hence, I think I need "bluegrass" for instance, not "89".  I'll have to test that out.

#4 2005-09-20 22:09:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I agree that it is VERY difficult to figure out the genre -- especially because of the strange standard selection for ID3v1 genre.  That's why I added Category & Category1 to MP3-Boss...and so now the question about where that information should go in the ID3v2 tags.

While you're looking at the ID3v2 tags -- what other ID3v2 tags should I be writing?  For this first release, I decided not to write tons of information to the ID3v2 tag (since really that means a second tabbed page in the TAGS form).  But are there certain ID3v2 tags that I should write in the next release?

#5 2005-09-23 11:52:27

ralph

I loaded, into my MP3 player,  a track that had an ID#v2 tag recreated with MP3B.  What I noticed was that genre on the display came out as '89',  Eventhough, the v1 tag said "bluegrass"  So, it looks like Creative gets display info by default from v2 and makes no numerical to text conversion.   So for my purposes, MP3B should load text in the genre field.  It looks like Winamp, on the otherhand, does make a numerical to text conversion.   I don't understand all that.

The question of what other info to load, needs to be posed to other users.  I personally never liked the idea of "bloated" file size with long comments, graphics, lyrics, etc.  When you have a large collection if it adds up, in my opinion, useless space.  Next having to load these sometimes very large files into MP3 players means you don't get very much except for extended transfer times.  Personally, I never needed more than v1 info, until I found some players look for v2 only.

#6 2005-09-23 18:54:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The spec. indicates that it should be making the conversion...but it might depend on whether it is a ID3v2.3 or 2.4 tag.  Think I should add this to MP3-Boss configuration?  And what about how to store multiple genres?  Should I be storing (2) (89) to mean Country, Bluegrass?  Configurable?  I'm interested in finding out what your mp3 player does when it sees multiple genres.

Good point about the info. stored in ID3v2.  Right now, I'm just storing the ID3v1 information (although each item can be 255 chars instead of the 30char limit of ID3v1).  You wouldn't believe how frequently I find files with 1MB-3MB of graphics embedded in the ID3v2 tag -- now that definitely is a problem for an mp3 player!

The short text fields really don't bloat the ID3v2 tags...but I'm just not sure which ones should be added.  Do you think I'll need to make this configurable?  Maybe I should have a "Clear Pictures" in cleanup?  Or maybe "Clear Pictures if >xxKB"?

ralph wrote:

I loaded, into my MP3 player,  a track that had an ID#v2 tag recreated with MP3B.  What I noticed was that genre on the display came out as '89',  Eventhough, the v1 tag said "bluegrass"  So, it looks like Creative gets display info by default from v2 and makes no numerical to text conversion.   So for my purposes, MP3B should load text in the genre field.  It looks like Winamp, on the otherhand, does make a numerical to text conversion.   I don't understand all that.

The question of what other info to load, needs to be posed to other users.  I personally never liked the idea of "bloated" file size with long comments, graphics, lyrics, etc.  When you have a large collection if it adds up, in my opinion, useless space.  Next having to load these sometimes very large files into MP3 players means you don't get very much except for extended transfer times.  Personally, I never needed more than v1 info, until I found some players look for v2 only.

#7 2005-09-25 07:04:36

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've looked at a large number of genre fields in the ID3v2 tag.  It looks like the common format is:
(89)Bluegrass

So I'll try that in the next release.

However...not sure if I should try to have Genre, Category1, and Category2 stored in that field.

The spec seems to show that:
(2)(89) is OK.

But should that be:
(2)Country(89)Bluegrass

or...
(2)(89)Country/Bluegrass

or?

I've also seen entries like:
Comedy Parody Rock Hip Hop Urban
...which obviously doesn't match a single ID3v1 genre tag...although perhaps it matches 5 genres.

#8 2005-09-25 23:12:46

ralph

I didn't know the parentheses was operational.   Maybe I can manually edit a few tags, using your examples, and see what it does when loaded in my player and also in Winamp. 

Man...this gets complicated.   Maybe V2 is not worth the trouble.  But nevertheless the world has jumped on the v2 bandwagon.

#9 2005-09-26 04:33:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've coded the parenthesis for the next revision.  So far I'm still ignoring the UserCategory and UserCategory1 information.

Unfortunately, the ID3v2 specification tries to be all things to all people...making for an extremely complicated specification.  Plus each revision reads a little differently. 

I've decided to add those fields (e.g., composer, original artist, copyright, URL) that Winamp v5.x supports to ID3v2 on the Create_Tag form (it just barely fit...I may need to make the form larger, or probably need to go to a tabbed form once I allow creation of WMA or OGG tags).

Here's the full list that I intend to add:
ID3_Category
ID3_TPUB (Publisher)
Composer (ID3_Composer)
Orig. Artist (ID3_TOPE)
ID3_TCOP (Copyright)
ID3_TSSE (Software/Hardware used for encoding)
ID3_TPOS (Part Of Set)
ID3_WPUB (Publisher URL)
ID3_WXXX (User URL)
ID3_WOAR (Artist/Performer URL)

Board footer