MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatibility Problem?

#1 2006-06-15 20:54:39

tjc

Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatibility Problem?

john

i reinstalled to a new drive using new 603 but am also getting that 2501 error everytime i try auto move i also get a prompt to set winamp directory even though it is set properly i uninstalled everything and tried the 603 beta still same thing seems to scan ok

#2 2006-06-16 04:36:20

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatibility Problem?

What version of Winamp are you using?

#3 2006-06-16 04:58:49

tjc

5.23 latest i downloaded it last week before i reinstalled mp3boss
i think i have some older versions on a back up

#4 2006-06-16 07:58:26

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Did you do a clean install with v0.603, or an update installation?

Is the problem only on automove?  Does the error appear as soon as you click Automove, or later?  Does it depend at all on the automove settings?

Anybody else seeing this problem with v0.603?

#5 2006-06-16 08:56:41

tjc

clean install with 6.03 then copied database as above they were from the beta version on 603
i only read your first post in this tread when it didn't work i uninstalled everything and deleted any remainng file including my original databases and tried the beta 603 and rescanned my drive from scratch

from what i see it is auto move as soon as i click on it

#6 2006-06-16 11:34:28

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I assume you are clicking on the AutoMove button that you see near the top of the screen (when in List View)?
Did you get any error messages during the installation?  Did it go to 100% or did you have to stop the install?

What *.MD? files are in your mp3boss directory?

What version does MP3-Boss report?

#7 2006-06-16 18:53:13

tjc

yes

no error on install went 100 percent

config
data
dupes
dupework
profiles
mpeg
update
system

#8 2006-06-17 06:03:16

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Not that I understand what could go wrong, but could you re-download and install again just to verify it wasn't a corrupt installation?

If it still behaves the same, ZIP your MPEG.MDE. DATA.MDB and CONFIG.MDB files and send them to me.  I'll see if I can find anything.

Anybody else seeing this?  The only thing that would seem to explain the automove window is a corrupt MPEG.MDE file.

#9 2006-06-17 08:11:07

tjc

well does this give you any idea

i was trying to reset my spam filer using norton and i got an error messgae about a script error turns out i had installed internet explorer beta seven uninstalled that now that program is working but your program still gives error reinstalled and rboot and still same i sent you the files

tje winamp problem seems to have gone away since i took off explorer seven

TJC

#10 2006-06-17 15:07:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Wow -- interesting that Internet Explorer beta would have caused a problem with MP3-Boss/Winamp.  I'll take a look at the files you sent and see if I can duplicate the problem here.

#11 2006-06-17 17:01:59

tjc

i hope so i sure miss your program now that i have my computer back up and running i need to reorganize about 500 gigs of music that i recovered from my crash

TJC

#12 2006-06-18 17:56:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Is it possible that you copied over old copies of Dupes.mdb and dupework.mdb?

Please zip and send me those files.

Do you get any errors at all about "unable to reattach database file" when you load mp3-boss?

#13 2006-06-18 18:31:56

tjc

well when i first installed it i copied the old files that were working on beta 603, but as i said i uninstalled everything including deleting the directory and all and then reinstalled and scanned the directory that has about a dozen files. the winamp problem was corected when i got rid of ie seven beta. i just sent you the dupe files.

TJC

#14 2006-06-19 04:30:10

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'm trying to track down what might have happened...but in my searching, found the following about the IE 7 beta -- looks like quite a few programs have problems with it.

http://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/answers/ie7beta.htm
Our Advice - Stay Away From I.E. 7 Beta
Windows XP Home, Media or Professional Editions

All of us want to be on the cutting edge of technology. Don't we? We all want to be the first to try new things, especially things from Microsoft. Don't we? Somehow, we guess it's normal to assume anything Microsoft puts out there, beta or not is going to work pretty well without messing up our "Microsoft" Windows computers.

It's OK to install Internet 7 beta if you have a second computer, but we're advising you not to install it on your main computer. Microsoft advises the same thing but apparently nobody listens to them. We've received literally hundreds of emails from people complaining about this or that program not working correctly after installing Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta (that's Internet Explorer's new name, by-the-way). Microsoft warned you and we're going to warn you: Do Not Install Windows Internet Explorer Beta 7 unless you:

a. Don't mind having some programs on your computer cease to function correctly
b. You have a strong urge to destroy things
c. You really get a kick out of uninstalling and installing software.
d. You have a second computer to install it on

Right now we think Windows Internet Explorer is on the right track but it's sluggish, ponderous, and not ready for primetime. It's only in beta testing now, so you have to cut Microsoft some slack. We're sure they'll work some of the bugs out of it and speed it up before it comes out of testing and goes "gold" as they say. At least we hope so.

Take our advice and do not install Windows Internet Explorer on your main computer or any computer you rely on daily for productive work. 

I found reference to this to fix a problem with the IE beta...but don't know whether to recommend it:
If you have extracted the IE7 setup installer, run xmllitesetup.exe from the update folder.

#15 2006-06-19 09:14:56

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Have you tried repairing the database & data?

Start/All Programs/MP3Boss/Optimize Database
Start/All Programs/MP3Boss/Optimize Data

...while your files look fine, I noticed that the table needed to create the initial settings for the AutoMove dialog only has a single record.  Normally it would have a single record PLUS the record that would be created next.  However -- your tables still all worked fine for me here.

Have you rebooted your computer after uninstalling IE7 Beta?

#16 2006-06-19 10:32:28

yahs

john
I found internet explorer beta seven  a waste of time slow, crashes and not worth the effort.
I have installed mp3boss v603 on a number of different pcs using different versions of winamp including version 5.23. As I only need a database with playlists, I don't use all the features of mp3boss.
My advice for what its worth, is to store your music on a separate hard drive/partition and install mp3boss to this drive/partition.
if windows crashes fix drive c, reinstall mp3boss and rescan the hard drive. Everthing works perfect, every time, though if you want to keep all your settings such as playcount and ratings etc then you need the old mde and mdb files.

#17 2006-06-19 11:09:06

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Have you specifically had trouble with mp3-boss after installing Internet Explorer 7 Beta?  Or didn't use it IE7 enough to know?  I'm worried that IE7 beta might be doing something that causes mp3-boss problems.

#18 2006-06-19 15:36:01

tjc

John
here is the exact message again.

"unable to open the specified window. Please try again later. (Err: 2501)"

i rebooted this time i uninstalled evrything i even deleted the access 97 runtime directory reinstalled from the web and same error. winamp does work fine however. could it be that something is in the registry files causing this i thought when i unistalled winamp that runtime would also uninstall but it doesn't a quick scan of the registry has a ton of references to runtime but i don't like messing with the registry to do much surgery at this point

as far as the comments from yahs

john
I found internet explorer beta seven  a waste of time slow, crashes and not worth the effort. ALL BETA PROGRAMS HAVE SOME RISK THEY COME WITH THE TERITORY.
I have installed mp3boss v603 on a number of different pcs using different versions of winamp including version 5.23. As I only need a database with playlists, I don't use all the features of mp3boss.
My advice for what its worth, is to store your music on a separate hard drive/partition and install mp3boss to this drive/partition. THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE
if windows crashes fix drive c, reinstall mp3boss and rescan the hard drive. Everthing works perfect, every time, though if you want to keep all your settings such as playcount and ratings etc then you need the old mde and mdb files. NO PROBLEM DOING THAT BUT THE ERROR KEEPS COMING.

the main reason i use the program is to sort out and rename thousands of files i have not found another program that does it as well if i only wanted to use winamp and the limited features it has in this area i would be happy.

TJC

#19 2006-06-19 15:52:38

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Have you tried uninstalling MP3-Boss before doing the installation?

The problem might occur if your database was corrupted, but what you sent me looked fine.  I've posted the problem to the web to see if anyone else has seen something like this.

Did you use the "Full Install" version of MP3-Boss when you reinstalled?

#20 2006-06-19 16:09:41

tjc

i uninstalled mp3boss first then deleted the runtime directory then reboot then install mp3boss

yes downloaded it new version 603

i even tried booting to safe mode and still got the same message

#21 2006-06-19 19:51:00

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

So far haven't found anything strange that loads when AutoMove loads.

Besides IE7 beta -- had you loaded anything else?  I'm figuring that the problem is with a specific DLL or OCX file that was overwritten when IE7 beta installed, but just can't find anything obvious.  Unfortunately (in this case), the DLL and OCX would only load if the MP3-Boss version is newer.

How about your version of the following files:
Comcat.dll
hlink.dll
oleaut32.dll
stdole2.tbl
urlmon.dll
wininet.dll
winsspl.dll

Do you see any with a date that corresponds to IE7 beta?

#22 2006-06-19 22:17:30

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Could you try loading Dependency Walker?

Unzip depends21_x86.zip to a directory, and then double-click on depends.exe to run the program.

From the Dependency Walker menu,
File Open: c:\program files\access 97 runtime\MSACCESS.EXE

Profile/Start Profiling:
Program Arguments:  c:\program files\mp3boss\mpeg.mde
Starting Directory:  c:\program files\mp3boss
(change these to the directories on your system)

Note: you may need to use Program Arguments:
/excl  /runtime  /profile "MP3 Boss"  /wrkgrp "C:\Program Files\MP3Boss\System.mdw" "C:\Program Files\MP3Boss\mpeg.mde"

When you click OK this should load MP3-Boss.  Go to the List View window and click AutoMove.  Then go back to Dependency Walker and click Profile/Stop Profiling (this will close MP3-Boss), then click File/Save As... and save the MSACCESS.DWI file.  Zip that file and send it to me.

Sorry the instructions aren't so easy!

#23 2006-06-20 08:25:41

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Is Mp3-Boss on a remote network drive?  If it is, perhaps the following will help...

A work-around for the network-drive-as-internet-source issue has been posted
on the Microsoft Connect bug database for IE. Posted here for your benefit.

"To work around this, you can manually add the servers to the Local Intranet
zone Sites list. Servers should be added as file://<servername>
Then when you browse to a mapped share on that server, it will be in local
intranet zone."

#24 2006-06-20 17:02:07

tjc

John
i had to out of town for a few days ill check the file versions when i get home
and run the dependency walker see what that does

i installed it on a brand new hard drive right out of the box and a new processor and motherboard and memory chips basicaally everything was new
1 booted to western digital cd to format dive
2 rebooted to windows xp sp 1 disk loaded windows
3 rebooted and loded intell mother board disk drivers etc
5 ran windows update including sp2
4 the following were loaded but not sure of order all installations ran fine without errors as far as i can remember a lot of reboots
a microsoft small buisness office
b newsrover
c quicken
d norton internet explorer and systemworks
e quicken
f sony picture gear
g xpexplorer
h mp3boss used 603 and copied over files as described in earlier post
ran microsoft update which got more updates for windows and office it did update something for excell, word and access

one of the  hard drive showed up as a nextwork drive before i repartitioned it not sure why that was or when i partitioned it the 3 250 gig drives i repartitioned each of them on drive at a time moving files from the old 200 gig and the 180 gig drives that had mp3 files on them i only have 4 drives on pc now one 150 gig raptor which is the c drive sata and three 250 gig western digital drives

motherboard is intell, processor is pentium 4 3 ghz mempry 4 gig dual channel

nice fast machine

since discovering error with winamp uninstalled ie beta seven winamp loads ok now but still get error on automove

tried uninstalling just about everything

ill try your sugestions thursday or friday and let you know

TJC

#25 2006-06-21 01:23:24

yahs

john
looking at this info i decided to check out automove - not a feature i use as fortunately all my music is sorted

standard setup of windows xp (service pack 2 with ie6)
using a clean registered version of v603 i clicked on the automove button in list view and got the following error message
"Unable to open the specifed window. Please try again later (Err: 2501)

i uninstalled v603 installed v57 tried automove, it worked. upgraded to v603 which then had to change the table structures but when it finished clicked on automove, it worked.

uninstalled everything including back ups etc, did a clean installation of v603 clicked on automove- error message as above. suspect something in 603 not quite right
sk

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatibility Problem?

Board footer