MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-07-22 12:46:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Installation only 98% Complete?

I have had a report of a failed full installation at 98% complete (during/after installing system.mdw).

The message indicates that the customer isn't running from an administrators account:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications.  Please rerun this installation from an administrators account".

But since the install is 98% complete, it appears that the message is incorrect (and the customer assures me that he has Admin rights).  The customer is running WinXPpro sp2 and has over 30GB free disk space.

When the customer tried to uninstall, he gets the error "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file" -- so it seems he now can't uninstall before trying a reinstallation.

Anyone else seen this during an installation of v0.605?

#2 2006-07-23 05:48:59

yahs

Re: Installation only 98% Complete?

John
have been using 604 for a week or so everything okay.
Looking at the post I decided to try 605 upgrade. everything was okay same as before
on trying a full installation of 605 encountered a few problems
first try - downloaded and ran mp3.exe from desktop ended up with 3 shortcut links none of which worked - windows reporting drive / file / folder unavailable not able to delete etc
next try - clean install from my usual (different) drive went okay but still no automove feature
installed 57 on top to restore automove then upgrade to 605 and scanned a music folder to test but i got an error message - path not found for a track that exists.
ignoring that, i then did a complete scan of my music folder which has been scanned with previous versions of mp3boss without any errors
i got this error message
Form_Active() Eventerror #76 occured in Main. Path not found. Do you wish to retry i said yes the scanning process started again and stopped with the same error later so i said no
In File list i had about 7000 entries instead of the expected 15000.
I can easily remove the offending file/files to a different folder and scan again but not sure why i haven't had this error before as these are not new files and i haven't changed anything. looking at the file with tag & rename can't see anything different. it is a cd copy and the rest of the tracks scanned okay.

sk

#3 2006-07-23 06:14:02

yahs

hi john
fresh install of v57 scanned all music no problems reported. files missing from 605 were scanned and show in list
tried to upgrade to 605 got the message about table structures
message said
required version 1.08
actual version 1.07

after many attempts including force upgrade i get a message saying upgrade not needed so i close the dialogue box and restart mp3boss to be greeted by the message that the table structure needs to be upgraded - this seems to be an endless loop ???
sk

#4 2006-07-23 07:44:25

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I found an error in the v0.605 switchboard which might incorrectly report a problem with the table structure -- I've fixed this in v0.606 (out soon). 

You might be able to work around this by going into Configuration and enabling MusicDNS scanning (on the Scanning tab).  You can turn off that feature afterwards if you want...the process of enabling it will create the missing fields.  I've moved field creation into the switchboard startup in v0.606.

Let me know if that fixes the problem.  Thanks for the report!

#5 2006-07-23 11:40:57

yahs

hi john

installed 605 (full version) for another go
musicdns scanning already had a tick so unticked and reticked which produced an error said i had to connect to internet to enable feature which i did

the file on which the scan stopped last time caused the scan to stop and i noticed the "musicip" logo appear ( i have a screen shot if you want it) and then i got a dialogue box asking if i would allow internet access to complete scan which i did. the scan then completed so everything worked okay and yes the file did not have the artist in the tag (don't know how i missed that)

sk

#6 2006-07-23 11:58:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

So is v0.605 working OK for you now?

I should have mentioned in v0.605 release -- that if you have MusicDNS scanning enabled, it requires active internet connection, and requires several seconds for every song.

The MusicDNS logo appears the first time a song with a missing artist is scanned.  MP3-Boss then calculates the PUID and tries to find out if that song is already in the MusicDNS database.  The MusicDNS scanning statistics are actively updated during the scan...you'll see something like:

102/250

next to the MusicDNS logo.  That means 250 songs were scanned and submitted for MusicDNS and 102 of those songs were matched up.  I find that about 50% of the songs submitted will have a match.

#7 2006-07-23 14:20:32

yahs

John
Sorry, but yes 605 is working well, can't stress enough what a great program mp3boss is. However automove still requires a v57 install followed by an upgrade. is v57 still available as a download to new customers, as it has proved to be totally reliable for me.

sk

#8 2006-07-23 22:05:51

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I plan to do a check of exactly what files are installed during 0.57 -- to see if I can identify if there is simply a library file that is missing. 

While v0.57 was quite stable, it didn't handle all of the strange ID3v2 tags that v0.6xx can handle...and most people aren't willing to install both.

I'm very surprised that Automove is still requiring v0.57 followed by v0.605!  I just wish I could reproduce the problem here!

#9 2007-07-28 07:04:55

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

mccaffjt wrote:

I have had a report of a failed full installation at 98% complete (during/after installing system.mdw).

The message indicates that the customer isn't running from an administrators account:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications.  Please rerun this installation from an administrators account".

I found this information -- evidently some computers (especially Dell) have security rights that won't allow the installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … -US;313222

Another article suggests that you look at your registry settings:
Note: Microsoft recommends you make a backup of your registry before making any changes to the system!

The permissions under the following registry entry may need to be reset:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetup

1. Run regedt32
2. Navigate to the key
3. Click on Security and then Permissions and make sure the following accounts have the correct permissions:

Administrators | Full Control | This key and subkeys
Power Users | Full Control | This key and subkeys
System | Full Control | This key and subkeys
Users | Read | This key and subkeys

Please let me know what you did to fix the problem.  THANKS!

Board footer