MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2010-12-02 04:44:34

unityjon

Huge big clean up - advise appreciated !

Hi all,
I feel its time to grab hold of my music collection and really sort it out and tidy it up, the question is how ! i know what i want (i think) as the end result, i'd like to see all my songs titled correctly, but what exactly is correct:

1) track name - artist (alot of mine just have this !)
2) Album name - track number - track name - artist
3) track number - artist name - track name

what in your opinion works best  for the above ??

secondly i want to change the folder structure, for some reason i started using Genré root folders > artist folders (if enough tracks to warrant) > album name

would dropping the Genré root directory be much better and just have a massive list of folders by artist name, how will windows (XP!) deal with that ?

I'd realy like to hear opinions and examples of what works for you before i start this mamoth task !

regards.

Last edited by unityjon (2010-12-02 04:45:35)

#2 2010-12-02 05:09:23

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Huge big clean up - advise appreciated !

Great questions!

I've spent a ton of time trying to figure this out ... and collected lots of sample songs to see what is out there.

The default format is a variation of:

Artist - ?Album - ?Track Title

...where often the Album name and Track are missing.  Take a look at AutoMove (a button at the top of the List View screen), and look at the "Auto-rename during move" dropdown choices (Rename-only section, about 2/3 the way down that dialog).  You'll see all the choices I've seen.

Title - Artist isn't nearly as common as Artist - Title (but it is still one of the varieties that help to make it difficult to correctly identify untagged files!).

As long as the Artist is correctly identified (MP3-Boss has a list of 17K common artists ... but there are tens of thousands of less common artists), it is often easy to correctly identify the rest of the information.  It does get difficult when the artist can be numeric (for instance, if Avenged Sevenfold is written as Avenged 7 Fold -- you'd be surprised how often an artist includes a number!).

Once the songs are correctly identified, the AutoMove button can move things around when you want (auto-creating folders).  However, moving takes a long time.  I don't rely on Windows error checking (because I've seen it fail many times when moving gigabytes of files) ... and so perform checksums before and after every file move.  This takes time, but prevents corrupted transfers.

I strongly recommend that if you've already scanned the files ... you let MP3-Boss move the files (either with AutoMove or by changing the directory in List View).  The move is slower than Windows ... but only because it is safer!  Your time is much less, since Mp3-Boss will continue to move files in the background (and can even fixup songs that are being played while moved!).

I don't use a folder structure that starts with Genre, but only because I find it so hard to categorize songs that way.  If you've already done it and it works for you, I'd leave it.  Note that you can pre-define Category (Genre) on a per-directory basis when you begin scanning.

You don't want to have more than ~1000 files in any single directory, because Windows really starts to slow down.  There are stricter limits on the number of files in the root of a drive.

Because Mp3-Boss allows you to search/sort on almost anything (and MP3-Boss 2011 when it comes out will allow multi-item queries) ... the file organization really isn't as important as it used to be.  Use the power of MP3-Boss to manage & play your collection.

Again ... fantastic questions.  Please let me know if you have more questions!

#3 2010-12-02 08:16:24

unityjon

Many thanks for the response i will certainly take that on board, I really want to loose the Genré folders as many artists cross genrés and also Genré are a pet hate of mine, i've only used a few (HipHop, Dance, Funk'n'Groove and copped out with 'other' for the last LOL so i think Alphabetical by Artist is the way forward for me but before i move i'm making sure that each song in each Genré folder has been edited in MP3Boss to show the correct category, removed all the comments and generally tidied up.

When i Filter by Filepath i get a message saying there are too many files for a filtered view  ? thats a little frustrating, but hey ho, i guess just organise list view by the column i want to edit, highlight the corresponding cells, edit the first one then copy down.  <fingers crossed>

I think i'll go for Artist Name>Album>track no#>Title as this seems to be the most logical at the moment.

Thanks for the advice, one less headache to worry about  LOL

#4 2010-12-04 06:58:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

MP3-Boss allows you to specify genre 3 times for every song -- the ID3v1 Genre tag (which is defined set of around 250), the User_Category (which includes those 250 defined genre settings, and User_Category1 (which is usually setup to include only those genres/categories that you use.

Take a look at Utilities/Review/Review Tables ... and click on User_Category and User_Category1 to see or edit those tables.

The "Filter by Filepath" error is a result of the underlying relational tables being composed of both drive & directory information (to make it easier to change/swap drives).  As long as you specify a complete (or nearly complete) path, the result set is filterable ... but specifying only part of a path creates so many possibilities that I have to throw up that error.  You are correct that the normally way of handling this is to sort by filepath.

I think the next revision (based on the Access2010 engine) may make filtering possible again ... since you can individually filter each column.  I'm still not sure what the implications will be on a column like filepath though (since the underlying content is an indexed relational table).

Board footer