MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-12-15 16:36:35

tjc

sorting options

John
Great program but as my files get more and more now over 125000 i find many times i wish i had more options for sorting the list view

i would like to be able to sort by mutliple fields like artist first then album

also when using the filters in list view i would at times like to filter on a drive i have 6 hard drives and have diferent type of music on each drive like rock on one clasical on another i tried to filter using only file path and type in i:\ for example and it truncates the list as i have 30000 files in that drive. my d drive has over 80000

any options or sugestions would be appreciated

i just tried sorting out over 10000 xmas songs on one drive and can't find an easy way to do it

Thanks TJC

#2 2006-12-16 05:36:28

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: sorting options

Multi-column Sorting:
To sort on multiple columns at once:

1) Drag the columns around to the sort order you want (first sort at left-most position).

2) Highlight the columns

3) Click the sort button (A-->Z or Z-->A).

This will let you sort on as many columns as you want.  Once you've created the sort, you can move the columns around, but obviously if you sort on something else the original sort-order is lost.  You can store multiple sorts & column orders in User Profiles.

Filter-by-Drive:
Take a look at the new version and checkout Utilities/Misc/Advanced Search -- while this is WAY too complicated (and doesn't yet interact with List View), I have been thinking about using something like this as a new button in List View -- so you could filter on just about anything in the database. 

For drive sorting alone, I've thought about (but not implemented yet):
1) Bring up the Review Volumes dialog (now in Utilities) and filter your List View -- but this is probably not great if you want to sort on multiple drives.
2) Add a dialog with all of your drives selectable as checkboxes, to turn-on/turn-off particular drives.  Probably best way to go, but it is quite a bit of work to implement.

Until I add the drive-sort feature, probably the best way to filter by drive is to either add the Filepath, Volume or Volume Comment as one of the sorting columns.  Since you have different music on each drive, you might want to even change the Volume Comment to "Rock", "Classical" etc.

Christmas songs -- I have the same problem!
Eventually I want to add a separate table with descriptors like:
Holiday
Christmas
Adult
Kids
...that would provide the ability to filter out those types of songs from List View.  After all, how often do you want to play XMAS songs during your 4th of July picnic???  Plus...if your kids are selecting songs...only show the Kids songs, and maybe hide/password-protect the Adult-category songs.

Until I get the implement though, the best way to sort out the XMAS songs is to:
1) Create a User_Category of "Christmas"
2) Filter on "XMAS", "Christmas", etc.  and then change User_Category to "Christmas".  With CopyDown...this really won't take long at all.

...now when you Filter for "Christmas" category...you'll get all those songs.

Thanks for your comments!

Board footer