MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2012-02-06 21:37:41

frustmu
Website

I have a metadata question?

I have some audio of my buddies father signing well known songs on reel to reel. I've recorded the music using my laptop and I will be burning this to CD for his family. Using iTunes, I am going through each one and giving it the correct ID3 info. My question is, what is the correct info for each field? I do not know the year these were recorded, so I was thinking of going with the year I started the project.

#2 2012-02-07 15:41:16

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: I have a metadata question?

Sounds like a fun project!

Very good question, but no easy answer!

Since this is for your use, I'd think about what you (and they) want to remember about the files.  For instance, maybe you want to add a comment "Recorded by Frank Smith between 1990-1995" or something similar, along with the date that you have converted the song to CD.

There are tons of ID tags that you can use in addition to the ID3v1 title, artist, album, year and comment fields -- but if you stick with those fields, almost all music programs will recognize the information.  MP3-Boss allows you to store a ton of additional information -- take a look at the ID3v2a (Detail) tab and you'll see there is room for copyright year, release year, recording date and recording year (in addition to the ID3v1 year tag!).

One question - will you be recording the results as an audio CD or as a collection of mp3 (or other format) song files?  Remember that mp3 tags won't transfer over to the CD audio format -- you'll need to put that information into the artist/title information for each song.

Board footer