MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-11-04 20:17:23

ralph

How to use the Directory Review Screen

I've been a long time user of MP3 Boss.  Even with that experience I am still greatly mystified with the purpose or possible uses of the Directory Review Screen when scanning new tracks in.  That is especially the case when I scan a "parent" directory, for instance called "Rock", and the screen lists several folders. I understand that list represents mp3 folders that I have yet to scan in to the database. 

My folders are generally organized my genre and specific CDs are in subfolders.  I think most folks use that kind of organization. 

- What is the use of the options under "Select Directory organized by;"?  Does this but my complete CD tracks into a different kind of directory structure? 

-  What is the point of the ID3 override question?

My additional complaint is that after having this screen appear, and when I realize I don't want to yet scan in the - let's say - 20 folders (300 tracks).  I can't find a cancel or terminate button.  If I close screen the scan proceeds.  I get into more trouble with this screen than it is worthwhile to me to use.

Might be good to have a more explanatory help page on what the options presented on this screen would do if selected.

#2 2007-11-05 18:04:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: How to use the Directory Review Screen

The only reason you would want to review the directories is if your directories are organized in some way that it makes sense to specify the category (and the files don't have category tags).

In your case, you should uncheck the selection "Review Directory Categories after directories are scanned" on the Scan page.  That way the screen won't come up at all.  The default (for new installations) is to uncheck that selection.

The "Review Directories" dialog was more useful when ID3 tags were rare -- that page allowed you to automatically populate the Artist/Album/Category information even if there wasn't any tag information.

You are able to specify the Artist/Album/Category on a per-directory basis in the "Directory Review" screen.  Click in the table on the left side to see what you specified for a given directory (you set the default Directory Organization in the Configuration).  If you select a default directory organization of "None", then MP3 Boss won't try to use the folder information to fill any of the categories (for that directory).

The ID3 tag override means -- don't use the specified information if an ID3 tag with the information exists.

Excellent point about no cancel or terminate button!  I'll add one.

#3 2007-11-05 19:15:35

ralph

Re: How to use the Directory Review Screen

Thanks.  I just unchecked the box to review directories.  It works fine now.

Board footer