MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-08 17:33:27

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Opinions: v0.592 beta ready for release?

So far there has only been 1 report of problems with the v0.592 beta.

I'd like to get as many problems ironed out as possible, and then FINALLY get a new OFFICIAL release out.

Let me know what you think -- other than changing the default settings for CD/DVD scanning, I haven't made any other changes.  So far, my testing looks good...but I need all of you to help identify the problems.

Thanks for your help!

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#2 2004-12-09 09:40:57

paulmccowan

Re: Opinions: v0.592 beta ready for release?

It seems that 592 is working.  I can't see at this point any thing else that is astray.  Go For It.

#3 2004-12-11 05:37:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Should I add a checkbox to the MP3 scanning page:

[x] NEW CD

...which would mean that the program shouldn't even try to identify this CD as already existing in the database?  The problem right now is that it is easily possible that MP3-Boss won't completely scan a CD because the directory structure and volume label are the same as a CD that was already scanned.

It might also be possible to popup a dialog saying that MP3-Boss has identified that a file on the CD/DVD already exists...do you want to treat this as a NEW or RE-SCANNED CD.  Two possible problems with this approach -- probably harder for me to implement, and it might not be possible to give you this message until full scanning is underway (i.e., you might get this message an hour into your scan...and so scanning stops until you notice the message).

Finally, it might be possible to popup an initial dialog saying something like "The volume label on this CD indicates that this CD has been scanned before...", and perhaps even give you a choice of matching CD if more than one CD matches.  The biggest problem with this would be the re-scan choice of "ignore serial number and volume_label" since that choice means that the popup would occur every time a non-finalized CD is scanned.

Comments?

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#4 2004-12-11 09:05:11

paulmccowan

I think the program is OK right now.  "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"

#5 2004-12-12 05:14:38

paulmccowan

Interesting thing happened.  No severe problems however.
My latest scan went well on a finalized disk, HOWEVER, when i look at disk in Form View, and play a particular music file, the program says at bottom that it is checking database, and that record is already in database.  The program locks up, and I cannot do any editing to any file.  All previous disks that have been scanned into program work OK.  Any suggestions.

#6 2004-12-12 06:30:01

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Two possibilities that I can think of:
1) CD has a bad sector...one reason mp3-boss allows you to do bit-by-bit compares is that it is amazing how often there are errors when writing large files.  The other day I looked at a DVD that was giving me problems...there was a large (1mm x 2mm) dust particle on the disk...and when I got rid of the dust...I saw that the image of the particle was burned in perfectly.  So much for THAT song!  Unfortunately, this stuff isn't always caught when burning.

2) Winamp had a problem.  I've found some cases where Winamp will say something like "data file doesn't contain data" in a popup dialog.  Until you close that dialog, mp3-boss waits patiently for Winamp to respond.  I've thought about trying to detect this problem, but I don't think the behavior is documented, and it doesn't happen very often.

Does it always happen when you click the same song?  Do some songs work?  By "look at disk in Form View" -- do you mean "List View"?

paulmccowan wrote:

Interesting thing happened.  No severe problems however.
My latest scan went well on a finalized disk, HOWEVER, when i look at disk in Form View, and play a particular music file, the program says at bottom that it is checking database, and that record is already in database.  The program locks up, and I cannot do any editing to any file.  All previous disks that have been scanned into program work OK.  Any suggestions.

#7 2004-12-12 07:44:24

paulmccowan

The program says Form View.  You may be right about a bad sector on the disk.  When I originally scanned the disk, it took a long time near the end of the scan.  It took about 10 minutes to scan the last 20 songs.

I reinstalled winamp, and other disks play OK, so I am pretty sure that's not it. 
I am not too concerned about this.  Since all other disks work OK, I am sure it's this particular disk.  Just thought I would get your ideas.

#8 2004-12-12 08:29:49

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Where does it say "Form View"?  What button did you press to get to that screen?

John

paulmccowan wrote:

The program says Form View.  You may be right about a bad sector on the disk.  When I originally scanned the disk, it took a long time near the end of the scan.  It took about 10 minutes to scan the last 20 songs.

I reinstalled winamp, and other disks play OK, so I am pretty sure that's not it. 
I am not too concerned about this.  Since all other disks work OK, I am sure it's this particular disk.  Just thought I would get your ideas.

#9 2004-12-12 12:15:35

paulmccowan

It is in MP3 List.  At the bottom left of the screen.

Board footer