MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-02-16 17:29:45

premium82

Questions

1) Mp3 Boss is not identifying m4a files when it scans. I have m4a selected under Config>filetypes. They show in explorer but not in list view.

2) I have rated, renamed and updated the tag on many of my mp3s in list view.
Some of ratings are not showing up in explorer. I run Vista.

3) What is the difference between the user category that you can set while the song is
playing beside the rating buttons and genre?

I forget my other issues, but I'm sure I'll remember. Thanks.

#2 2008-02-17 02:19:29

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Questions

Are you using the official release or the beta?  The version 0.640 beta cleared up some problems with scanning m4a files.  If you are using the v0.637 version ... you might want to try the v0.644 beta.

1) Can you send me a couple of the m4a files that are skipped?

2) I'm don't know what tags Vista reads to determine the rating.  If Vista reads the "popularimeter" tag -- the file is updated with the new rating only after you click the Tag button in MP3-Boss and write the tags.

If only some of the ratings are showing up -- any idea why?  Can you show me some screen shots to show what is going on?

3) The User_Category is a 'superlist' of Genre.  Genre is a fixed listing of categories (defined by the ID3v1 spec -- each Genre is associated with a number from 1 - 255), while you can define your own user_categories.

#3 2008-02-17 12:23:36

premium82

I just downloaded and installed the .645 beta. No problems with the m4a's, they showed up.

I'm not sure which tag vista reads either, and truthfully I'm just starting to learn about tags and tagging. I have no Idea why only a select few would not show up. I sent you one of the mp3 files that has been rated, given a title and artist, and had the tag updated in Mp3-Boss..but the changes wont show in explorer. .

When I installed the new version of Mp3-Boss, I gave one of the songs a new rating with Mp3-Boss and was going to update the tag to see if the change would show in explorer. However when I click on the tag button I now get a "Enter Parameter Value" dialogue box.
asking for "ID3v2.ID3_TMED" I have no idea what this is about.

#4 2008-02-17 15:40:50

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Can you try the same thing again?  I'm not able to reproduce the problem here (and normally that error would mean that the underlying form is missing a field).

It might be that the installation didn't go quite right -- it takes about 45 minutes for me to upload all of the files (I have cable-modem, so slow uploads), and you might have gotten an incomplete upload (although normally the incomplete file should say that it is corrupt).

If you can reproduce the problem, please send me your mp3boss.log file.

Anybody else seeing the same problem?

#5 2008-03-11 15:46:30

premium82

Sorry have been away...But to pick up where we left off:

1. Not all tag edits preformed with Mp3Boss are showing up in explorer. Screen shots and affected file attached.
2. Since update unable to open the tag dialogue box 'ID3v2.ID3_TMED' error. Re-downloaded and installed.
3. Attached file from below as well.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

#6 2008-03-12 04:44:59

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I found one problem in v0.651 that might be part of the problem -- could you send me your MP3Boss.LOG file so I can check?  It turns out that under certain conditions I wouldn't write to the tag now if both the user_category and ID3_Category were empty.  I've fixed that in v0.652.  If that was the problem, you'll see this error for each file that had the problem:
3/11/2008 8:52:26 PM (75146.98):          Tag 2Error ( 13) Benny Benassi - Love Is Gonna Save.mp3 [Type mismatch]

However, it looks like the fundamental problem is because the Windows thinks the ID3 header is compressed -- and Windows (and Windows Media Player) doesn't support compressed headers.  When I tried to play the file in WMP, I got the error message (C00D0BB8) shown below.  Once I deleted the ID3v2 tag (using Mp3-Boss), and then re-created it in Mp3-Boss ... Explorer shows the title and Artist (Love is Gonna Save.mp3 vs Love is Gonna Save1.mp3).

What is a bit strange is that the only obvious difference between the original 'bad' and final 'good' tag is that byte 6 is 0x40 instead of 0x00.  According to the ID3v2 2.4.0 specification, this means that an extended ID3v2 header is present:
     The second bit (bit 6) indicates whether or not the header is
     followed by an extended header. The extended header is described in
     section 3.2. A set bit indicates the presence of an extended
     header.
...however, it looks like the actual extended header was empty.  What tagging software did you use to create the tag originally?

Perhaps I need to allow a "Delete Tag & Re-Create" option in Mp3-Boss.  Right now, all I do in Mp3-Boss is to update the tag, not first delete it.

Did the new release (v0.651) fix the 'ID3v2.ID3_TMED' error?  I no longer see that error during any of my testing.

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

C00D0BB8: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for the following reason:
You are trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3 headers. The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name, and genre). This information is sometimes called a "tag."
To fix the problem, make a copy of the file and then use a non-Microsoft ID3 tag editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers. After you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play the MP3 file.

Attempting to remove ID3 headers might damage the file and make it unplayable. Therefore, always make a copy of the file before you edit it.
If this solution does not resolve the problem, the file might be corrupted.
Error ID = 0xC00D0BB8, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Board footer