MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-02-26 21:07:41

crux

Winamp's ratings and filenames

Is it possible to copy Winamp's ratings into MP3-Boss?  (and the other direction, too.)

The whole reason I stumbled upon MP3-Boss is I was looking for a way to rescue my Winamp ratings when I move the mp3 files around.

Alternatively, is there a way to fix the filenames in Winamp playlists and the Media Library?  Your website says:

Winamp playlist repair - automatically fix playlist path information for all your Winamp playlists.

But it doesn't do it automatically, and I can't figure out how to make it.

If MP3-Boss could fix the filename info in the Media Library, then Winamp would still have the ratings info.

This is a great product, btw.  I've already found a ton of features I wanted, and a few I didn't even know I wanted.
Thanks!

#2 2008-02-27 05:24:26

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Winamp's ratings and filenames

Winamp Playlist Repair:
Look in Utilities/Refresh.  MP3-Boss goes through the current playlist and tries to update the playlist automatically.

I'll have to checkout the Winamp Media Library a bit -- I plan to add that import/export, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks for the compliment -- glad you like MP3-Boss!

#3 2008-02-28 02:16:24

crux

mccaffjt wrote:

Winamp Playlist Repair:
Look in Utilities/Refresh.  MP3-Boss goes through the current playlist and tries to update the playlist automatically.

OK.  That worked.  ...once.

It worked for a directory that I moved on the same drive.  However, I have an old playlist that I had on another drive (The old list was on F:, the files are now on C:, there is no longer an F: drive.).  When I tried "Refresh Winamp Playlist..." on that playlist, not only did it fail, it started giving me individual error dialogs for every single file in the list.  And there are ~10,000 songs in that playlist.  I had to kill MP3-Boss.

I tried it again moving just one directory via MP3-Boss. This time it gave me an access error which I think is the same one from before I killed MP3-Boss:
Error 2000/2001 in dhShortPath:
The system cannot find the path specified: (3) - \mp3\...
Everything from "\mp3\" on corresponds to the old pathname that the files were moved from.  It's just the drive portion, "(3) -" that's wrong.  It's not stored in Winamp this way.

It appears that I broke "Refresh Winamp Playlist..." for everything.

This is related to another problem I'm having.
I like to move mp3 files around on disk.  I tried using MP3-Boss's ability to change the filename.  But I have to change it separately for each leaf directory, and it's clunky enough to use Copy-Down for one directory.  Also, it leaves the old directories there.  I want to be able to move an entire tree structure at once.  Is there a better way to do this?

I tried moving a directory by hand.  Then I had MP3-Boss rescan the old and new directories.  Now the database had two separate entries for each file, one with the old pathname and one with the new.  Then I ran Utilities - Cleanup - Records...  This fixed the problem, but it seems like there ought to be an easier way to tell MP3-Boss, "Hey, I moved some files around.  Go update yourself."  Is there?

#4 2008-02-28 17:52:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Are the files listed in the Winamp playlist already scanned into MP3-Boss?

The "Drive F: no longer exists" is most like the problem -- when MP3-Boss first checks, it is going to a non-existent drive, and that must cause the failure.  I can see if it is an easy fix.

To move lots of files around, try the "AutoMove" button at the top of List View -- lots of features to automatically move all your files.

There is a cleanup feature when you copy files to CD, but I haven't added a drive move cleanup yet -- although when I do, I think I'll also make a 'crash recovery' version so that you can get the data back even if the filenames change.  MP3-Boss stores an MD5 for every file, so it should be able to recognize files no matter the name & path.

#5 2008-03-21 01:38:14

HaraldF

When Windows explorer shows the rating from mp3boss, why winamp does it not?

#6 2008-03-21 04:59:14

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

What version of Winamp are you using?

I'm assume you mean the ratings in Winamp media library?

#7 2009-03-28 07:20:09

mychucky

Hi John, I am now at the point that I want to rate ALL songs, is there a way to play each in a "preview mode" and for example press F1 for awfull F2 F3 and so on to F5 for Great, and have it move on to the next song as soon as it is rated?

#8 2009-03-28 07:55:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Good idea.

The HotScan is the closest thing right now ... it will play a sample of each song (for however long you specify), and that's why that mode was created.

It wouldn't be that hard to move to the next song instead once the song is rated.

For keypress -- does it need to be a keypress other than the Alt-1, 2, 3... that works now?

#9 2009-04-14 08:58:44

ralph

I use the hotscan all the time to rate a group of songs.  In fact I changed the period of the hotscan to begin at 20sec and proceed to 50sec.  This lets me get past the "intro" of most tracks and into the main music.

It's a great feature.

#10 2010-03-10 10:12:24

unicorn

Hello Mates I am David
Good idea. It wouldn't be that hard to move to the next song instead once the song is rated.

Board footer