MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-13 03:56:24

AtlGuy

Customized Fields

I would be great to beable to insert a customize field.Into MP3 so that I could sort on this personal field for Example. I would Like to a field called source  I would put "File From Jim" or Internet and then to group these files by common sources. I like to track where my file comes from. Currently I use the comment field problem with that is if I update a comment i risk losing the comment info in MP3 if there is a new update to the tag

#2 2004-12-13 04:17:05

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Customized Fields

Did you know that the "Comment" that is shown on the first tab of Detail View is a long (64KB) separate comment that you can use for each file?  During scanning, it is set to the same as the short (256char) comment, but you don't lose the information when you update.  Few ID3 tag comments are longer than 256chars.

There are a ton of ID3v2 tag fields for URLs that are on the detail page.

It would be easy to add a field "Source" to the FileInfo tab of the detail page.

#3 2004-12-13 04:39:30

AtlGuy

Did know that about the comment field.

I knew the comment field was 256 char.  Let me see if I understand this.
Say if I update comment field in MP3 Boss and for some reason and the I updated the comment field in my mp3 editor it will append to the bottom of the comment Correct? This will throw offthe sort because of the addtional charcters

Let me try this once I RIP a CD and Place a comment in the MP3 the comment wont be updated agian  so I can sort on the comment in my application("Internet" Mike's Database") I will use for my purpose Where the file came from. If I send the file to a friend. I dont care about the comment if they want to delete it more power to them

Jim

#4 2004-12-13 06:03:04

AtlGuy

I have given this some thought.. I would like to see customize fields because some of my mp3 files already have comments in them and I don't want to add addtion al info to that field. I would not be able to sort on that. It would be Nice to add adtional fields on the fly "Source" or "Location" or CD Volume ect..

j
smile

#5 2004-12-13 06:51:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The comment in List View is the normal ID3 tag comment.  MP3-Boss supports 256 chars here (ID3v1 only supports 30chars).

The comment on the first page of detail is 64KB...and it will append the information so that it isn't lost.

AtlGuy wrote:

I knew the comment field was 256 char.  Let me see if I understand this.
Say if I update comment field in MP3 Boss and for some reason and the I updated the comment field in my mp3 editor it will append to the bottom of the comment Correct? This will throw offthe sort because of the addtional charcters
Jim

#6 2014-05-28 18:27:11

symasoret

A great exchange of information.

Board footer