MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-14 18:38:37

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Cracking MP3-Boss

The beta registration checking code in MP3-Boss has been changed to lock out access to the database if a cracked/hacked code is used.  It is hard for me to believe...but evidently a lot of people think MP3-Boss isn't worth $15, although they like it when it is free...smile

I figure I should disable access, since obviously that registration code was nonworking/buggy, and I wouldn't want mp3-boss to run when things are right! big_smile

I know the code works.  When I first started beta testing, I didn't limit access to only registered users.  About the 3rd person that tried the beta told me that for some reason his database stopped working shortly after installing the beta.  It was only after a few back & forth questions that he finally admitted that he got an illegal registration code from 'a friend' (who got it from the web). :x

If the database is locked, I plan to charge $15 to fix the problem.  Another $15 to  register MP3-Boss.  Otherwise, the person can uninstall Mp3-Boss, and re-install the old version if he wants to continue to use the illegal copy.

What are your thoughts on this?  Is this asking for trouble?  Should I warn the users before the upgrade?  Opinions?

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

p.s.
While I don't appreciate having registration codes distributed, I have to admit I admire the crackers' skill.  Evidently they even did some code sniffing to crack MP3-Boss...since they distributed a temporary code that I never distributed.  To tell you the truth...I'm not sure that even I could have done that! roll

#2 2004-12-15 05:20:14

paulmccowan

Re: Cracking MP3-Boss

I believe this is the only thing you can do.  Just don't "fix" it where a registered user can't get in to the program.

I have told you on many occasions that you should charge a lot more than you do.  There are always people out there trying to get something for nothing.

Happy Holidays.

#3 2004-12-16 09:16:24

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Instead of immediately disabling...should I give a short countdown -- like 5 uses -- before disabling all access and requiring $15 + $15 to register? 

The only problem is...the more code involved in the registration check...the easier it will be for the crackers to find & disable.

John

#4 2004-12-17 05:31:13

paulmccowan

"Crackers" will always find a way to break your code.  Just keep the registration the way it is, and simple.

#5 2004-12-20 06:17:04

AtlGuy

You do need to make some money at this John.. .. to keep you developing. Very Cool product.. Gotta keep you happy

Jim

#6 2004-12-20 06:19:37

AtlGuy

It's worth the 15 bucks... and them some....

#7 2004-12-20 08:39:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

So you don't think the person deserves the chance to repent? smile

It would be very easy to include a 'Illicit registration code warning:' during the installation, to give people a chance to back out of installation (see below).

John

Illicit registration warning:
if you are using a cracked/hacked registration code, do NOT continue with this installation as that code will completely deactivate mp3-boss.  Fixing the deactivated program will require an additional fee.  Please purchase a valid registration prior to upgrading.

paulmccowan wrote:

"Crackers" will always find a way to break your code.  Just keep the registration the way it is, and simple.

#8 2004-12-20 08:55:33

AtlGuy

Im a firm beliver in giving someone a chance to repent. Just one chance  because in the endf karma will bit them in the spam and bites really hard

#9 2004-12-27 18:41:18

Jay93

mccaffjt wrote:

So you don't think the person deserves the chance to repent? smile

It would be very easy to include a 'Illicit registration code warning:' during the installation, to give people a chance to back out of installation (see below).

John

Illicit registration warning:
if you are using a cracked/hacked registration code, do NOT continue with this installation as that code will completely deactivate mp3-boss.  Fixing the deactivated program will require an additional fee.  Please purchase a valid registration prior to upgrading.

I like this Idea alot.

#10 2005-01-11 16:16:40

tincan

Those charges seem fair to me. All your are asking is the $15 that should have been paid in the first place, plus a fee (a very small fee) to fix the database. Obviously, anyone who wants the problem fixed, also wants to use MP3Boss.

I've never attempted to bypass any registration codes and I don't think anyone is really griping about the $15. I think those who try to crack the registration see it as a challange, but then I am from the old school of right and wrong.

#11 2005-01-22 19:16:51

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

So you think $5 to fix the database (instead of $10 or $15)?

John

Board footer