MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-01-12 15:58:16

tincan

First beta notes

This is my first beta post and my first impressions of both my original installation and the 0.593 upgrade. Hope the organization helps. Each topic starts with a "-" in order to avoid non-ascii formating.

ACTIONS
Notes started: 8:12 PM 1/11/2005
-Installed 0.593. Reviewed button bars for all views.
-Attempted to read a CD.
-Checked List View to see if there were any obvious corruptions of my existing database and found none.

SYSTEM
-Upgraded from 0.4 something.
-Windows XP, 512Mb, P4 (2.3MHz), many peripherals, one-way satellite
internet.

BUGS
-old version wouldn't read CDs. Clicked on "Refresh CD/DVD" (I think that is what you said to do in the forum). Screen flickers when I do that, like something is being flashed on the screen too fast to actually see. Have a directory "F:\" in the scan list and attempted to scan with only that directory selected and no subdirectories names. Message "Unable to locate any new files to scan." So either this is still a bug or I do not understand. Also, I found the CD test in Drive Volumes and that correctly identifies the drive as well as noting that there was non-writable disk in it.

QUESTIONS
-What is the Category1 box at the bottom of the List View and why is it locked?

-Related to my CD scan problem, I've re-read the Help on Drives and Directories (now labelled "Review Drives/Directories") and I am a little confused. It seems the only thing I can do in Drive Volumes is check some info and delete a volume. I understand the Directories Review but it would seem that I should also be able to add a directory and a volume.

-Noticed a new Configuration screen (it popped up after I rebooted the system which is odd since I had already configured on the original installation). Some things that are not obvious to me and are not in the help files:
..Volume adjust choices
..Paths to skip
    - I like this but do I add skips on that last line?
    - Is this only for the drive that contains the system files     (plus A:\ & B:\)?
    - Player timeout - what purpose?
    - BPM settings - what purpose?

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
-It is not clear in the Help\Contents\List View that the Tag Update Utility needs to be run to update the tags. In the beginning, it took me some time to figure out why changing the album in MP3Boss was not reflected in WinAmp until I tried the utility.

-Closing the Switchboard screen using the upper right "X" close button closes MP3B (I'm too old to change habits like this). Suggest it close only the Switchboard.

REQUESTS
-Buttons in icon bar to access other views while in Scanner and Artist Fixup

-It might be just the way I work, but I use the filepath a lot to create and move files in my own hold-until-sort/reviewed/burned, or fake album names for the audio CDs I make, etc. Nearly every filepath dealing with music is way to long - it fills the MP3B List View making use of other columns very difficult. I could, of course, move all my music directories to higher level, but then I would have to change the defaults in about every music program. Have you considered offering some form of filepath truncation? Example: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\My Radios\Swing becomes something like C:\...\My Radios\Swing. As of now, the Filepath column occupies about 65% of my MP3B List View real estate.

KUDOS
-I like the new Utilities screen. Much less intimidating and some new functions.

#2 2005-01-13 05:12:27

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: First beta notes

BUGS
-old version wouldn't read CDs.

Neither the old nor new version will read audio CDs, but both should be able to read CDs that you've created with mp3 files on them.

Clicked on "Refresh CD/DVD"...something is being flashed on the screen too fast to actually see..

I'll take a look at that...to make sure that at least I put a message on the status line saying that the refresh is completed.

What is the Category1 box at the bottom of the List View and why is it locked?

The Category1 box is the "User_Category1" setting for the song that is currently being played.  This was only recently added, and so no information is in help.  It goes along with Rating (which is active only for the song currently played).  It is locked if you aren't playing a song because it is possible to highlight a bunch of songs in List View.

I would like to add a directory and a volume.

Once you've scanned a song on a volume or in a directory, it is automatically added to the list...since normally mp3-boss shouldn't care about drives or directories that don't have songfiles, I don't have a way to add to those lists.

Volume adjust choices

This is really a bugfix for certain songcards.  If your volume works correctly, there isn't a need to adjust this.  Some songcards don't provide feedback regarding the currently volume level. This setting lets mp3-boss work with those cards.

Paths to skip - do I add skips on that last line?

Yes, add new paths on the last line.  Because almost everyone will want to skip the listed paths, I've only made those yes/no selectable (you can't delete them).  Other than the paths that have already been defined, you can add/delete paths.  You can add any paths you want to skip -- you can even skip all those Barney Christmas songs if you want! wink

Player timeout - what purpose?

If you have a very slow computer, it may take Winamp more than 10seconds to load...if so, set this timeout for as long as you want so you don't get the message 'the mp3 player didn't load in 10 seconds...do you want to continue trying'.

BPM settings - what purpose?

These are useful if you want to use AutoBPM to automatically determine the Beats per Minute (BPM) for all of your songs.  Normally only DJs need to know the Beats per Minute, so probably you can leave this disabled.  If enabled, Mp3-Boss will read the status from AutoBPM (installed separately), and update the song information once it determines that the BPM informaiton is stable.

Tag Update Utility...not clear...

This area causes a lot of confusion.  I don't automatically update the tags because it would slow down editing and because you can't do it for songs that are on CD anyway.  Perhaps I should add a status line showing the number of songs that have updated/not yet written tag information.

Closing switchboard closes Mp3-Boss

The switchboard needs to remain running for mp3-boss to work.  It is normally the only way to choose the menu selections.  Do you think I should get rid of the [X]?  Or ask before closing?

Buttons in icon bar

I've had this request before...the only problem is that a button bar uses quite a bit of screen real estate.  Not a problem at 1024x768 and higher, but at 800x600 there isn't much free.

List View filepath

This is a real/working filepath, so I don't think I can shorten it.  If you change the information here, you will actually move the file to the new location.  People use this a lot (with CopyDown) to organize their files.

New Utilities screen

Thanks -- glad you like it...and it gives me much more room than the old format.

Thanks for your comments!

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#3 2005-01-14 16:21:18

tincan

Thanks for very clear explanations.
Re: tags written status line - I wouldn't add the status line since I think it might confuse. I would edit the Help file to make the update process more clear, and, maybe, update tags on exit from MP3Boss.
Re: X in Switchboard. Removing it might help a new user. If so, I would put the Close and Exit text in large font or bold or some kind of emphasis.
Re: button in icon bar. How many users who would buy MP3B use 800x600? Not many is my guess, but how about an option in the form of "modifying the button bar"? Nice idea for later.
Re: filepath. My experience is more with real-time OS and my database programming experience is shaky at best but I was thinking there must be a difference between the actual filepath and the displayed filepath. If so, the user could enter his own, short name for the beginning of a long filepath, but the software recognizes the correct filepath. If not reasonable, tell me. I do use the copy down after filtering to quickly move and edit records. But I can't make my screen any wider and I spend most of my time scrolling left and right and moving columns around.

#4 2005-01-14 20:21:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

tincan wrote:

Thanks for very clear explanations.
Re: tags written status line - I wouldn't add the status line since I think it might confuse. I would edit the Help file to make the update process more clear, and, maybe, update tags on exit from MP3Boss.
Re: X in Switchboard. Removing it might help a new user. If so, I would put the Close and Exit text in large font or bold or some kind of emphasis.
Re: button in icon bar. How many users who would buy MP3B use 800x600? Not many is my guess, but how about an option in the form of "modifying the button bar"? Nice idea for later.
Re: filepath. My experience is more with real-time OS and my database programming experience is shaky at best but I was thinking there must be a difference between the actual filepath and the displayed filepath. If so, the user could enter his own, short name for the beginning of a long filepath, but the software recognizes the correct filepath. If not reasonable, tell me. I do use the copy down after filtering to quickly move and edit records. But I can't make my screen any wider and I spend most of my time scrolling left and right and moving columns around.

Good point about automatically updating the tags when exiting.  I think I'll add this as a configurable item.

I'll take a look at the Switchboard [X].

Last time I looked, somewhere around 30% of the people going to the website used 800x600, so I'm reluctant to get rid of 800x600 support.  I'll think about the button bar.  I really need to figure out how to improve all the screens to make them easier.

Filepath -- I think there is too much chance for error if I try to shorten what you see, unless I were to create a 'read-only' view for filepath.  Have you taken a look at AutoMove/AutoRename to see how to automatically move/rename files?  Once the paths are all setup...they probably aren't quite as important and so you don't need to show the whole path.

John
http:/www.mp3-boss.com

Board footer