MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-02-15 17:37:22

tincan

Scanner and Reports Issues

ACTIONS
Started these notes on 2/15/05. Started evaluation of the Scan window.
Scan window seem to be straight-forward and and it's help files are well written and clear.

Sorry about the delay on this next list. My main computer has been down for a few days. Kept shutting and restarting without warning. Spent a day trying to find a virus even though Norton said I was clean. Searched the net for my symptoms and decided what I had was not like anything reported. Did a file search on my system for all the recent malicious viruses. Removed a couple recent applications and double-checked the registry to ensure they didn't leave any residuals. Unchecked all my startups but still had the problem. Since the problem frequency was anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours, I dreaded disabling the Services. But after doing so, the problem was fixed and I spent the next two days bringing them back in groups until they were all back and the problem didn't reappear! I think that while I was waiting for the next restart, I reviewed the Add/Remove programs and removed a couple, and I ran Ad-Aware and SpyBot which also removed two that had slipped by. So the problem must have been associated with one of the items removed even though none were supposed to be malicious. And then I slowly discovered that bringing the services back up also screwed up my connections in Foxfire and Thunderbird - I was blaming DirecWay at first.

SYSTEM
-Upgraded from MP3B 0.4 something to 0.593.
-Windows XP, 512Mb, P4 (2.3MHz), many peripherals, one-way satellite

internet.

BUGS
-May not be a bug: Attempted to scan MP3 CD. Scanned and listed 110 files, then MP3B appeared locked. The CDROM drive was repeatedly spinning up and back down for around 2 minutes. Finally the Directory review screen came up, I clicked done, and a scan started. The scan showed 108 files and the tracks were now in my List view. Now that I think about this, it probably was not a bug, but just a long processing time for a CD that had over 48 hours of old-time radio. Should the user be warned of an apparent hang? Or should there be some indication that the scan was working?

-Next I tried to create, for preview, a CD Label and then a CD. I don't understand which is which and the help file was no help. Is one of these the jewel-case label and the other for the CD? Whichever, I left the above CD in the drive and selected that CD in the "GetCD" box. I selected Preview and then Print Labels or Report 1 and received
a "Please select a CD volume first." Perhaps I don't understand. The help files need some explanation on "CD Label" and "CD." Also, nothing appeared in the "Select CD Volume(s)" so I am totally lost as to how  one uses these two report tabs.

QUESTIONS
See bugs on Reports.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
-Help text on Scan window, next to last paragraph: "(normally you would change the to Overwrite at the same time)." A word is missing and I think it should be 'selection.' It could also read ok if "the" is deleted.

-There seems to be a lot of unused space in the Scan window. If you don't have plans to fill some of this area, I would suggest putting some warning/helpful text near the radio buttons. Your note on when to use overwrite vs. refresh scan type, and notes on keeping "Review  Directory Categories ...," and "Add New Files ONLY" could be helpful
here.

-Quick note on "Delete Record" button in List view. I am in that age bracket where I notice my contemporaries still use 'record' to mean something like "Kingston Trio, Live at the Purple Onion." Since I copied an extensive library of "records" to CDs a few years ago, I don't use that term anymore (or too often). But is there possible
confusion between "record" meaning one track in MP3B, and "record" meaning the equivalent of a directory in MP3B.

-Preview Reports Help file: I would change the topic order to Reports, Preview Report, and Print Report. My reason is that the term "Report" is used differently in databases than some people are familiar with. This is basically a label-maker and playlist printer and I think a lot of users would think reports are some statistical thing.

-Reports - Close window: Another of those not-like-Windows comments. One really great thing about Windows is that it forced a great degree of commonality across applications. But it also gives us blinders when things are not where we expect them. Out of habit, I clicked the big red X and closed the whole application. The next time, I looked all over the window for a close button and found it hidden in the button bar on the far left. I would suggest moving the Close button away from the left side (where it almost looks like an exit from MP3B) and over to the right, still on the button bar, where it is more obvious. Might also label it "Close Reports." Same on Preview Report.

-Preview Report: Is it possible to add the total number of pages near the page number so that it is something like page x out of y pages?

-I entered an album name in the category filter and the program would not allow me to simply type the album in the Album filter. I had to delete the Category filter entry first. Minor gripe

#2 2005-02-16 10:47:10

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Scanner and Reports Issues

tincan wrote:

ACTIONS
...The CDROM drive was repeatedly spinning up and back down for around 2 minutes. Should the user be warned of an apparent hang? Or should there be some indication that the scan was working?

Normally *something* should change on the scan screen while it is scanning (e.g., Last Directory scanned).  If there were a huge number of files, all in one directory, I guess it could take awhile before the screen updates -- particularly if there are huge embedded ID3v2 tags.  Are you sure that nothing changed on the screen for 2 minutes?  Was the screen maximized (if not, the status line isn't shown).  2minutes seems like an awfully long time...and might indicate a bad block on the CD.  However, it might also be a problem with adding the new "CD fingerprint", since that requires a CRC32 on all or most of the files on CD.

CD Label and then a CD. Is one of these the jewel-case label and the other for the CD?

CD Label is used for the jewel-case label.  The other creates a number of reports that particularly useful for CDs.

"Please select a CD volume first."

If the GetCD didn't find the CD in the database, then a scan is started.  There was a bug if the Scan page wasn't already up -- since that page is needed for certain functions to create the CD fingerprint (Now fixed -- v0.594).  Or, maybe the database wasn't refreshed yet and so the code didn't realize you had selected a valid CD.  Once you get a preview, I think you know what each report is for (since shows an exact image).

There seems to be a lot of unused space in the Scan window.

The page allows up to 10 directories & category information...which completely fills the page on an 800x600 screen.

Record vs Record

Very difficult...not sure if there is a solution.  Maybe once I add an "Album View" like the "Artist Fixup," it won't matter as much.

...the program would not allow me to simply type the album in the Album filter. I had to delete the Category filter entry first.

I have seen this too -- due to 'autocomplete" knowing what you REALLY want! Not sure if I can fix this.

I'm going to take a look at your help & general comments separately.

Board footer