MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-10-29 01:44:18

Sterke-Jerke

Initial scanning never finishes

Hello,

I have been using mp3boss in the past, liked it, but never got around to register. Because a newer version has arrived I thought I give it a new go.
Installation goes OK, except the scanning.

I have an externel USB 200Gb harddrive with 22Gb MP3's in 3600 file's.

My AMD 1800/512MB Windows 2000 PC is now "processing directory"  for a couple of hours. Only 1 dot is showing.....

I even tried it with a small subdir... No go.....
HOw can I correclty finish the scanningproces?

#2 2006-10-29 02:46:27

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Initial scanning never finishes

What version have you tried?  Could you send me a screen capture that shows the problem?

Is this actually during the file scan or the initial directory scan?

If it is a file scan, please send me one of the files that is shown during the pause (to john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net) so I can try to reproduce the problem here.

Anyone else seeing this?  Now that I have audio fingerprinting, some of the files WILL take a long time to scan.

If the problem is during the initial "find all files" scan, the problem could be that you need to run chkdsk on your drive to fix directory corruption -- although the latest versions try to report that problem when it occurs.

#3 2006-10-29 09:17:15

Sterke-Jerke

John,

I cencelled the initial scan, because I did not want all my drivers to be scanned. After I posted the problem I restarted the directory scan and went out for a walk in the forest. Now, 7,5 hours later it is finally fineshed! So now for me not a problem anymore. Only thing is: My external USB drive keeps switching from M: to G: etc. I hop the software can handle that...

#4 2006-10-29 09:45:17

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks for the information.

Do you think the "All Drives" scan was just taking a long time, or do you think something was wrong?  I was recently surprised here to find that my USB drive had quite a few file errors...that weren't detected with Windows but were through MP3-Boss (a chkdsk fixed the problem...but chkdsk verified that there were quite a few errors).

If you think the scan error was from a particular file, please send me the file so I can resolve the problem here.

"Utilities/Misc/Refresh Mapping" lets you change drive letters within MP3-Boss.  If you are running under WinXP, you can change the drive letters with "Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management" -- although if the desired letter is taken by another drive, you'll need to move that drive letter too.  Why is your USB drive switching letters?

#5 2006-11-14 18:14:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I just figured out the problem...sorry I didn't quite understand:

"My AMD 1800/512MB Windows 2000 PC is now "processing directory"  for a couple of hours. Only 1 dot is showing....."

Evidently the latest version will sometimes bring up all the directories instead of just the "Scan Selected Directories" -- and this is a problem if the directories aren't available.  In your case, probably MP3-Boss was trying to find your drive "G:" files when it was "M:" (or vice versa).

It looks like this should only happen if the default category organization is set to "None" instead of the default "Artist".  Did you have the default organization set to "None"?

Next revision will fix this so that it only processes the directories that are specified.

#6 2006-11-15 08:11:15

yahs

Hi John

"My AMD 1800/512MB Windows 2000 PC is now "processing directory"  for a couple of hours. Only 1 dot is showing....."
is the same problem I had.
My default category organization is set to Artist/Aibum. I have 2 hard disks partitioned c/d and e/f. My music is on F: I asked MP3Boss to scan music only, too slow so I stopped, then I asked to scan just 1 directory again too slow. as mentioned before i turned off audio fingerprinting, and tried to work offline. Pc still tried to go online This happens during the initial directory scan. nothing wrong with PC. Earlier versions scan much quicker but maybe not with same results.

SK

#7 2006-11-15 17:26:09

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

After stopping the "Scan ALL drives" scan -- do you think you exited mp3-boss before telling it to "Scan selected drives"?  Or do you think you stopped & immediately selected "Scan selected drives"?

How many directories do you think you have that contain music?  Is it many thousands of directories?

Any chance a previously scanned drive was offline or remapped?

#8 2006-11-16 14:42:07

yahs

John

after a fresh installation and choosing a new database you get the message something like "you don't have any music and you need to scan your computer". I cancel this as i only need to scan drive f: so i then select the  MP3 scanner option from the menu.

i have approx 250 artist folders and they have numerous sub folders depending on how much stuff they have released so rolling stones runs to about 30 subfolders, where as some folders don't have any subfolders. In total i have approx 13,500 titles

no drive offline or remapped.

as mentioned before, personally don't need heavy duty scanning as music is 99% sorted ( i have been using MP3Boss since 2001/2) so from time to time i reinstall 0.57, choose  anew database and everything scans very quickly. I then install the latest version on top. Works fine for me, as i don't use all the available features but quite happy to test run new versions etc

sk

#9 2006-11-17 05:05:24

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've checked to make sure that if both of the "Enable MusicDNS lookup" checkboxes are unchecked, that mp3-boss won't do any web lookups during the scan.  Those checkboxes are on the Scanning tab of Configuration.  Are both unchecked?

The newer versions of mp3-boss will scan for mp1, mp2, mp4, m4a/m4p and wav in addition to mp3 files.  Scanning for additional filetypes means that mp3-boss has to repeat the drive scans....so checking all of them will at least triple the time it takes for a drive-scan (I search for mp? filetypes during a single scan).  If you aren't interested in scanning for anything but mp3 -- make sure you've unchecked the other filetypes (Filetypes tab of Configuration).

I'll do some additional testing, but if I've disabled those features, scanning speed seems to be a few hundred files per minute here.

#10 2006-11-17 17:02:57

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I think I've figured out the initial delay during "Processing directory..." -- the latest version is doing an artist lookup based on the directory structure.  I'll add the ability to skip that lookup.

When I skip the lookup, the initial directory scan processed about 4800 files/minute, and the actual scan processed about 350 files/minute.

I think that is probably about the same as the v0.57 scan rate?

#11 2006-11-18 10:04:29

Sterke-Jerke

As soon as there's a newer veriosn I will test it to see if all goes faster. It could also be a slow external drive. For now all works for me. I have another quesion, but will open a seperate thread.

Last edited by Sterke-Jerke (2006-11-18 10:13:12)

#12 2006-11-18 15:23:37

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The next version will have:
* New tooltip system for the Switchboard & ListView pages
* Spanish tooltips for the Switchboard & ListView pages
* Ability to turn off:
  - Internet lookup when processing directory
  - Smart Artist Lookup (using local table of 17K artists)

Don't forget -- faster isn't necessarily better!  I added those last two features so that you would do less work fixing up artist names after scanning.  But, if your songs are already well categorized, it makes sense to turn off those features.

Board footer