MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-12-15 12:04:32

yahs

Feedback

Hi John,
Latest experiments produce the following.

A clean installation of 608 with Internet switched on. (As mentioned prevoiusly, 608 won't scan without internet access, even if Music DNS unchecked)
Processing directory (about 12,500 files) took 21 minutes. Processing files then took 45 minutes.

Problems thrown up in scanning

The following artists are incorrectly assigned     Joe Ely replaced Jewel
                Blindside replaced Blondie
                Linda Perhacs replaced Linda Perry
                Lull replaced Lulu
                Robert Belfour replaced Robert Palmer
                Neon replaced Nena
                Gabrielle Yacoub replaced Gabrielle
                John Parr replaced John Barry.

Also the same problem with a handful of title tracks (2006-10-23 under Questions - Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatability Problem)

One other problem. I have discovered that after registration if I select configuration from the main switchboard i get a databse checksum error (Integrity violation or used database for more than 30 days). Switchboard shows that I have registered. I have to close and restart.
When I restart MP3Boss I can select any item from the main switchboard without a problem, apart from configuration. I tried optimising data/database but no luck.

A clean installation of v 57 cures all listed problems including registration. so currently I run v 57 with 608 installed on top. No problems, no errors. Currently running winamp 5.32.

Don't know if any of this is useful but just a bit of feedback.

SK

#2 2006-12-15 12:36:39

yahs

Re: Feedback

Forgot to mention scanning times for V57
Processing directory - 30 secs
Processing Files - 22 mins

#3 2006-12-15 13:37:03

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

SK,

Try the new release (v0.609) if you can -- I think you'll like the improvements.

If you turn off NewArtist Lookup in configuration, I think your processing directory time will come way down.  Even if you keep it on, I think it is now a lot faster and more accurate.

I'm pretty sure the new release will fix the artist assignment problem (now I require a 95% similarity before I assign the artist -- and you can turn off that feature).

Plus, I think I've cleaned up that database checksum error problem.

Finally, an all-new installer HOPEFULLY finally will cure the problem with having to start with 0.57 and upgrade.

Even with 608 you are getting the problem that I think was due to comdlg32.ocx?  Could you check if it is a problem even with 609?

If you still have the problem, instead of reverting to 0.57 -- could you put comdlg32.ocx in your Windows\System32 directory and see if that fixes it?

#4 2006-12-15 15:09:04

yahs

John,

Thanks for the info.
full installation of 609 completed - no problems.
Registration accepted.
I left all scanning options checked to see how long it takes.
Processing directory 9 mins
Processing File 42 mins (12,685 records)
No errors with any of the artists but the same problem with a handful of title tracks (2006-10-23 under Questions - Internet Explorer Beta 7 Compatability Problem). I looked at these tracks again in Tag& Rename and there are no embedded tags - everything normal. I'm going to do a fresh install tomorrow but this time I will turn off all the scanning lookup options to see what difference if any.
Like the new background colour
SK

#5 2006-12-15 16:12:40

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

SK,

Happy to see that you agree things are improved! 

Could you give me a few of those problem titles so I can see the problem here?

Glad you like the new color -- the new background color can be changed if you want...just change the files "canvas.bmp" in you MP3-Boss directory.

Another new feature is that I'm slowly making the fonts a bit bigger, at least in Utilities.  I think I still need to make them bigger in List View, don't you agree?

Have you seen the new balloon tooltips on the Switchboard, ListView and Artist Fixup pages?  Good or bad?  The advantages I see:
1) You can select the color (default is the Windows default tooltip color)
2) Much more text can be put in the tooltip now -- so I can have other languages
3) The new format seems to work more consistently...a lot of the time, they old tooltips wouldn't ever appear (now you can even control how long you have to wait before they appear)

#6 2006-12-16 12:36:15

yahs

Hi John,
Messages galore today!
I've installed 610 with no problems everything seems to work, except i still have the problem with a few titles.
I have e-mailed a small Excel file showing the files that start with numbers on sheet 1 and sheet 2 has the files that have a different title to the filename. As mentioned, V57 scanned all these correctly and i have looked at the tags so I think everything is at it should be.

I think fonts and size are fine when the user can choose what they want. I tend to use comic sans, regular 12 but that's just my preference so maybe let users choose fonts for each switchboard, if that is feasible.

Tooltips I have mixed feelings on. Microsoft installations that have tooltips constantly popping up are an irritant and again I think some users prefer to be able to switch off (presumably if you set the delay to a very high number they won't appear)

Many thanks for your efforts
SK

#7 2006-12-16 20:34:51

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks for the spreadsheet -- I'll take a closer look.  I might need to get some of the files so I can figure out what is going on.

The List View datasheet and Artist Fixup let you choose the font, but I think I need to let you choose the font for the rest of the List View page.   The Utilities pages have quite a bit of room...so it isn't as big a problem to just default to a bigger font.

The default popup time is set to 0.8s -- but Configure lets you change the time.  A popup time of 999s (over 15minutes!) would pretty much mean you'd never see the popup.

#8 2007-01-03 01:01:58

yahs

John

Did a clean install of 611 yesterday. Everything perfect - all music scanned quickly. the program worked well. Only used the program the one time.

However today I have the same problem as mentioned 26-12-06 which is

"I have discovered that after registration if I select configuration from the main switchboard i get a databse checksum error (Integrity violation or used database for more than 30 days). Switchboard shows that I have registered. I have to close and restart."
When I restart MP3Boss I can select any item from the main switchboard without a problem, apart from configuration. I tried optimising data/database but no luck. also tried removing and re-entering my registration code. Program accepts and my name appears as the registered user on the switchboard. I have closed and restarted about 10 times.

I have a copy of comdlg32.ocx in the windows system32 directory

I have had this peoblem with 608, 609, 610 and now 611. Previously I have reverted to 57 and installed on top which has always worked I will do the same later today.

Haven't bothered with the numerical files yet, figured you probably have more than enough to keep you busy as these latest versions have been flying out. As always, appreciate your efforts.

SK

#9 2007-01-04 07:09:36

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

To fix the problem, try the following:

1) Start MP3-Boss and wait for the "Database Checksum/Invalid Registration..." message
2) Add a space after the registration code
3) Click OK
4) Exit MP3-Boss

...when you restart MP3-Boss, hopefully the problem is resolved.

The latest versions have had some improvements designed to fix this...but maybe in some instances they are causing a problem.  The next release will store some error information in a log file so hopefully I can track down the problem.  Bugs are really tough to fix when I can't see them here!

If the above doesn't fix the problem, could you email me a ZIPPED copy of your DATA.MDB, MPEG.MDE and PROFILE.MDB?

Thanks,
John

#10 2007-01-05 10:57:44

yahs

Hi John

Tried your suggestion as above, but no joy. References all ok.
Using older versions i can install up to and including 607 before the error message appears.
On further investigation with clean copies of XP and Mp3Boss, I can install 608... 611 successfully, use the program and select all options from the switchboard, Scan for files successfully, close and restart, reboot and restart all with no problem. If I then roll the date on, the program loads on the switchboard - my name appears as the registerd user but i get a message saying "as you have not configured your player etc, so I browse to the winamp directory and ok that, the message at the bottom tells me to purchase Mp3Boss at www.swreg.org but my details are already filled in so I okay and exit. Next time I run the program I can access any command from the switchboard except the Configuration option as I get the following message.
Database checksum error!
(001) The database integrity checksums are invalid, or you have been using the unregistered program for over 30 days.
If you are a registered user, please contact the author for help.

Once I have tried to select Configuration I cannot select any other option I have to exit and restart. The first time I select configuration I receive the error message i get access to the configuration page to check my details but the next time i try i just get the error message and I have to exit.

As always I still use the program in my normal way (v 57 followed by an update which always works for me, though installing on top of 611 I had to add a space after the registration code). I like to install the latest versions to check out new features and for feedback purposes so I'm not too worried about a fix

Thanks for all your help

SK

#11 2007-01-05 17:14:35

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Is anyone else seeing this same problem?

Maybe by comparing similarities, I can track it down...

#12 2007-01-11 14:40:24

yahs

Hi John

Sorry to bore you but on the same thread as above

I can install a full copy of 611 and everything works perfect until the next day.

Experiments show that If I change the system date installation works for any date past, present or future.

On the configuration option on the switchboard you get a message thanking for registration on whatever date.

So far I have discovered that if I register on the 11th setting the date to 12(whatever time) the error occurs.
Register on 7th changing the date to 8 produces the error. Change the date to anything other than 8 and the error disappears.

I have managed to produce the following errors but they don't always appear. ( They appeared after I changed the date from 7 to 8)

(3420) Object invalid or no longer set.. Occurred in Switchboard/Form_Load

(91) Object variable or With block varaible not set. Occurred in Switchboard/Form_Load

Today I finished putting together a new base unit Pentium D chip with Media Centre installed. So I thought Id check out Mp3Boss. Tried a 611 install. Exactly same errors as above - changing the system times causes all sorts of problems. Registered copy becomes unregistered have to re-enter my reg details then receive the error messages and Mp3Boss appears as unregistered.
Change the clock back and my registration returns and I can access all items on the switchboard.

Weird

SK

#13 2007-01-12 04:08:56

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks for all this information -- I'll try to reproduce the problem here.

The next rev. will write out an error log when the error occurs -- so hopefully that will help.  Plus, some code was (accidently) only active the first day of use...so that might help.

I agree that it is weird!

#14 2007-01-18 19:21:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've made some minor changes and changed a file reference -- hopefully those changes will eliminate the problem entirely...but if not, the v0.612 release writes out a logfile that will help to diagnose the problem.

#15 2007-01-19 08:28:33

yahs

Hi John

Just noticed the 612 release so I have downloaded the full and upgrade versions. Tried putting 612 upgrade on top of 598, this produced the same error with registration. So removed everything and did a clean install of 612 but unfortunately got the same result when I rolled the system clock forward. Where do I find the logfile that you mentioned?

SK

#16 2007-01-19 09:43:11

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The logfile is located at:
c:\program files\mp3boss\MP3Boss.log

Please email me a copy and I'll take a look -- thanks!

Board footer