MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-10-09 14:36:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Could not open INSTALL.LOG file

Just had a report:
When the customer tried to uninstall, he gets the error "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file".

Anyone else seen this during an installation of v0.607?

#2 2006-10-09 16:20:58

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Could not open INSTALL.LOG file

If you do see this problem, I'd like the following information:

* What version of the program did you install?  (Was it the latest release (v0.607)?)
* What operating system? 
* Do you have administrative rights? 
* Were there any error messages during the installation? 
* Did you run out of disk space during the installation? 
* Do you get the error both when you click the "Uninstall MP3Boss" from Start/Programs/MP3Boss and when you try Add/Remove Programs from your control panel?

Here's some general information about what gets installed:

Normally, the properties for "Uninstall MP3Boss" from Start/Programs/MP3Boss should be:
"C:\Program Files\MP3Boss\Uninstall.exe" C:\PROGRA~1\MP3Boss\install.log (with startup in C:\program files\mp3boss)

Assuming you installed MP3Boss to your C drive, the INSTALL.LOG should be found in your:
c:\program files\mp3boss directory.

MP3-Boss installs the following directories:
C:\Program Files\MP3Boss (and subdirectories) C:\Program Files\Access 97 Runtime

It also installs the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MoleZip.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\crcdll32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Blofsh10.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AudioGenie2.ocx
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ASPIshim.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uFREEDB.ocx
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MCDBurnerCon.ocx

I've only had one other report of someone not being able to automatically uninstall MP3Boss -- and apparently that was caused when the user didn't have administrative rights to the c:\windows\fonts directory (Mp3-Boss will install the smalle.fon file if it doesn't already exist).  I added an extra check in recent installs that I hope got rid of that problem.

#3 2006-10-16 06:05:28

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

As always, please feel free to post ANY failure information to either this forum or as an email to john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net

I'll try to fix all problems ASAP -- and the more information I get, the better!

Thanks!

#4 2006-11-13 06:31:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I recently saw a problem with a Wise Installer based installation (although not mp3-boss) where the Install.log was placed in the c:\windows\system32 directory instead of the application program directory.

My guess is this must be happening for this customer.  To uninstal if that happens, just click the UNINSTAL.EXE in the c:\program files\mp3boss directory, and then browse to the INSTALL.LOG found in c:\windows\system32 directory.

If you can't find the INSTALL.LOG there, do a file search for "INSTALL.LOG" with a recent date.  The file is a simple text file and it will be obvious if it is the correct MP3-Boss installation log.

No idea why the install.log would be put in the wrong directory...I'll see if I can track that down.  So far I've only heard of it happening twice.  Any information you have is appreciated!

Another reason for a missing INSTALL.LOG file is that some cleanup programs will automatically delete all .LOG files as part of their file/disk cleanup.  If that is the problem, your best bet is to re-install the program (overwriting the original location) and then uninstall immediately.

#5 2006-12-16 05:39:10

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

This should be fixed in v0.609 -- the installer has been re-written.

Please let me know if you see it in v0.609 or later!

Board footer