MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-01-17 02:31:56

yahs

Winamp Problems

Hi John,

I know this is nothing to do with Mp3Boss but I cant really use the program any more.
As mentioned before, my problems with registraton weren't solved by my latest Pc but I now have another problem.
The base unit I now have has a Pentium D "dual core "processor, (seems like there has been correspondence on Winamp forum about this)
I have always stored my music on a separate hard drive so I have always had 2 hard drives installed. No problems.
Now when I use Mp3Boss (v593) on loading Winamp there is heavy duty hard disk activity, the computer temporarily freezes then after about 2 minutes winamp starts playing. However there is constant hard disk activity , so much so that I have to close the program.
I am using the same Winamp pro 5.32 as worked perfectly well on my old AMD pc. I tried copying all my music onto C: but winamp still insists on reading the 2nd hard drive even though I'm not pointing it there.
This is a real pain so at the moment I don't use Winamp and consequently MP3Boss. I am checking out WInamp forum to see if this problem has been identified etc. In the meantime I'll keep checking back on the Mp3Boss forum.

SK

#2 2007-01-17 03:57:43

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Winamp Problems

Horrible!

Maybe you need to turn off the media library portion?

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual ("dual-core"), and use Winamp 5.32 fine.

I have seen that the Winamp media library creates a number of large files...

Have you turned off Media Library -- "Local Media/Watch Folders"?  That would definitely cause a lot of activity.  Take a look there -- there are quite a few settings that would cause both startup & continuous activity.

Let me know what you find!

#3 2007-01-17 10:22:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I found a thread suggesting that the solution is to go to WinXP x64 edition (see below).  Certainly other people are seeing exactly the same problem.

Have you tried telling Winamp to use only 1 processor (using Task manager to associate with either CPU1 or CPU2 only?).  I know I have that ability on my AMD dual, and assume you can do the same on the pentium D.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php … nextnewest
Problem solved!

I installed Windows XP x64 edition yesterday, and all seems well. I am no longer able to replicate the problem with any of the programs that caused lock-ups in the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

I also noticed that everything runs faster, but boot-up time is longer. I rarely turn off the computer so that's okay with me.

You might want to try out the x64 edition.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...acts/trial.mspx

Some of your peripherals might not work though. I only lost the MCE remote control, which I don't really need.

Good luck!

#4 2007-01-18 19:14:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

What player are you using instead of Winamp?

#5 2007-01-19 08:02:33

yahs

Hi John

Success with Winamp.

As well as having 2 hard disks installed I have an external disk for backup which plugs into a USB port. When I plugged it in to copy over some music onto my new hard disk, Winamp identified my Drive K: as a portable device. After I had disconnected, Winamp retained the info and I was unable to rename or remove so every time I started Winamp it was looking for k: but even when I plugged it back in it still froze initially and continued to read the disk while playing music. I had to uninstall Winamp, clear out the registry and remove the Prefetch info before I got success. Now when I look at the device list in Media Library there is no entry for Portables and I can connect and disconnect as normal with no problem. Iím not sure why it was initially recognised as a portable as I havenít had this problem before. Anyway I can now use Mp3Boss again (Iím on version 598, gradually working my way up to 611 trying to identify anything that is different as regards registration). Maybe 612 will help. Thanks for your help with suggestions. The player I have been using is Creative MediaSource which you get as part of the installation for the Soundblaster card. All sorts of programs want to be the default player these days - I have Tag & Rename, PowerDVD, Nero Essentials, Real Player, Quicktime and of course Windows Media but I know there are many more

SK

#6 2007-01-19 09:44:07

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Fantastic information!

Board footer