MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-02-06 09:35:08

JensE

"Scan Selected Directories" and network drives

Because of its size I moved my mp3 directory to a NAS (Buffalo Linkstation). There are no access problems. But scanning any subdirectories on that drive MP3 Boss returns:
"(3163) The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add.  Try inserting or pasting less data.
DAO.Field
Z:\mp3\80er\A Flock Of Seagulls - Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) (The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls).mp3".
For testing I copied one subdirectory to a local drive: it works.
But if I select the subdirectory with the same content on network drive I got this error?
What can I do?

#2 2007-02-06 17:30:12

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: "Scan Selected Directories" and network drives

What version of Mp3-Boss are you using?

If you are using a recent release (later than v0.57), please send a copy of a problem file to:
john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net

so I can reproduce the problem here.

Thanks for reporting the problem!

#3 2007-02-07 11:55:19

JensE

Thank you!
I tested the same MP3-Boss version with the same network drive just on another pc. It works, no Access 97 error message. I can't reproduce the error on the other pc.
On the first pc there was only the error message when scanning for files. All other things are OK!
Maybe there are two reasons:
1st: any problems with configuration/installation of Win xp x64 system
2nd: problem with the Access library or a runtime environment needed for Access

I'm not an Access expert but I'm sure that's not a problem concerning MP3-Boss.
But I'm still testing several things....

Greetings Jens

#4 2007-02-07 12:54:15

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The problem sounds like one that happened pretty frequently in v0.57 (because of unexpected data in some of the ID3v2 tags).  In v0.57, I think I only allowed 10 or 25 chars for the year -- fine for "2007" or "May2007", but not "Midnight on the 3rd of January 2007".  It is always possible that I've missed something in the new release.

It would be great if you could send me the file:
Z:\mp3\80er\A Flock Of Seagulls - Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) (The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls).mp3".

...and I'll check it out here.

#5 2008-06-24 15:42:14

Zanzispot

I have installed the program 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months.  Each time, when I run the program, I never get through the intitial scan.  I installed 0.655 this afternoon, this time the scan ran till the very end,  before returning an error.

Unable to continue scan, shutting down scanning form.  Please try scanning again.  If unsuccessful, contact technical support.

(3163) The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add.  Try inserting or pasting less data.

DAO.field
G:\Mp3s\Bluegrass\Brother Where Art Thou\john hartford - i am a man of constant sorrow.mp3

The mp3 drive is on a nas volume.  I back that up occasionally to a usb hard drive plugged into my laptop.  So the files on the local usb drive are exactly the same as on the network drive.

I decided to run the scan on the back up usb drive to see if the files or the location of the files is the problem.  The scan ran perfectly, ie: without any errors, on the usb drive containing the same song files.

I am mailing the song in question to you.

And this is not a question of just one song, one or two installs back, I tried removing each offending song as it would error, and the next scan would stop at another file further down the list.

#6 2008-06-24 19:02:46

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I received the song -- I'll check it out and let you know if I can reproduce the problem.

Usually I can reproduce the problem once I get the file, so thanks for sending it.

#7 2014-05-28 18:24:22

symasoret

thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.

Board footer