MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-04-21 09:42:06

reiah

Does MP3-Boss support unicode filenames?

Hi,
My library has quite a lot of chinese songs and I am using the latest winamp 5.33 BETA version which supports Unicode file names and file paths.

Before I try to install MP3- Boss, would like to know if this program supports unicode file names and tags and paths.

thanks,
reiah

#2 2007-04-21 09:53:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Does MP3-Boss support unicode filenames?

MP3-Boss does have code to specifically support unicode (as a matter of fact, MP3-Boss automatically installs UNICOWS.DLL to provide unicode support for Win95/Win98).

However, I don't have a lot of experience with Unicode, and I'm not sure if the underlying database does a great job supporting unicode -- although I do have customers from around the world, including quite a number of sales to china & japan.

MP3-Boss includes a 30-day risk free evaluation, with full uninstall -- so feel free to give it a spin & let me know what you find.

#3 2007-04-21 12:39:41

reiah

Just installed and tried the software. 
This does not support unicode filenames.  It does not even pull in any music files that has chinese or japanese filenames.  It skips paths that has chinese characters. 

I'm not sure how the people in the past have used it, perhaps they changed the chinese file names to english file names.  But I know that this won't satisfy my needs.

thanks anyways.
reiah

#4 2007-04-21 14:00:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Could you send me a couple sample files so I can see the problem?

If you can, send them to:
john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net

I looked up some of my old records -- the last time I was working on japanese & chinese language, DBCS (double-byte code system) was being used instead of unicode.  I think to fully support unicode, I'll need to upgrade the database engine.  I need to wait at least 6 months to do that...since Access2007 was only just introduced (and a good installer isn't even available yet).

Thanks!

Board footer