MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-06-23 06:26:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Scan Times

MP3-Boss can scan 5 - 20 files/second, but if MusicIP is enabled...it can take 20 seconds (or more) to scan 1 file.

The MusicIP configuration includes a timeout (default 20 seconds) before skipping to the next file...but even 20 seconds per song can make scanning VERY slow.  Even after scanning...you won't get any useful information if this is the first time that song has been scanned.

The advantage of MusicIP is that it can often find song/artist/album information even if there isn't any embedded information in the file (and even if the filename is completely wrong).

I'm a bit worried that first-time users will think that MP3-Boss song scanning is very slow compared to other scanners out there...should I turn off MusicIP by default?  Or maybe have a first-time checkbox "Fast" when scanning everything?

Eventually...I'll add the ability to MusicIP scan selected files...so even if you don't do the scan the first time, you'll be able to lookup information easily.

Comments?

#2 2007-06-23 17:43:51

ugc

Re: Scan Times

I would turn it off by default if the times are that slow. Most of us have our music named correctly to start with I would think.

just my 2 cents.

#3 2007-07-07 14:04:22

fc

Maybe you can mark MusicIP tracks, then do them in batch at the end.  That way, you can rip through the files that are good to go, then put up a message regarding MusicIP at the end.

#4 2007-07-07 15:17:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Sounds like a good idea -- although it would mean quite a bit of programming.  Right now I don't have an easy way to call a specific file to scan -- although I intend to add that feature eventually (and also let you rescan any file for MusicIP -- since sometimes the embedded tag information is pretty lousy).

Board footer