MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-07-08 12:37:13

Horst

sort sequence according ASCII code?

Hi John, my MP3 collection consists of 80% classical music and 20% pop music. When I sorted the album titles alphabetically on my iriver mp3 player, I got a mix of classical and pop albums. For example, it sorted BACH - BEATLES - BEETHOVEN, etc. Not very user-friendly ;-) To keep classical music and pop music apart, I added a '|' character to
the beginning of each pop music album tag. So the Beatles-albums are called '|Beatles...'. Because the ASCII code of '|' is higher than that of any letter or number, I expected to get the pop music albums added at the end of the list. On the iriver and all tag-editors it has worked perfectly so far. However, MP3-boss seems to use a different sort sequence. My pop albums appear at the beginning of the list. Would it be possible to adjust the sort sequence that way that it follows the ASCII-code of the characters?
Horst

#2 2007-07-08 14:00:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: sort sequence according ASCII code?

Unfortunately, the pipe/vertical bar character you selected | (ASCII 124) happens to be a reserved character for the Jet database engine. It tells the Jet database engine to evaluate the identifier before evaluating the rest of the expression.

There are 3 characters that are a problem for Jet -- the single quote ('), the double quote (") and the pipe/vertical bar (|).  The single & double quote characters aren't too big a deal as long as a single sequence doesn't contain both a single & double quote -- so I handle those two characters separately.

Because | is a problem when filtering or sorting, MP3-Boss automatically replaces it with a similar looking character -- the exclamation point (!).  I've actually been playing around with this a little recently (because I found an artist-tag of:
!..:neutral:.||[R]eal.neutral:.[C]rystal.neutral:.[C]rew||.neutral::..|
...which caused a number of problems.

Instead of replacing the | with !, I could replace it with { (ASCII 123) or } (ASCII 125), which would then give you the same sort order you see on the iRiver player.

One problem with adding a character to the artist name is that Mp3-Boss won't be able to automatically lookup/verify that the artist is valid, and won't be able to auto-link to a Wiki/AMG webpage giving information about the artist.

The best way to sort in MP3-Boss is probably to just use a multi-column sort based on both the category and the artist:
http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … php?id=267

Because Mp3-Boss keeps a separate database, it would be possible to have the 'real' artist name in Mp3-Boss and the "|" artist name in the tag -- but I know that could quickly become a problem to maintain (since it would mean you couldn't use Mp3-Boss to update the embedded tags).

How do you manage the songs on the iRiver?  Is there a separate utility or do you use MP3-Boss?  Can you sort the iRiver based on Category + Artist?

I have a simple 3GB player, and just use MP3-Boss to copy files to the SD card used by the player.  I intend to add a few new features to the Copy function -- so that it can automatically copy to a directory based on Artist, and also improve error handling (e.g., when same-named files already exist, or when the SD card is full).  Right now, the way I handle this is to just select all the songs I want, then have a combined filter of the particular artist + "Selected" -- then copy those songs to a subdirectory based on the artist name on the SD card.

#3 2007-07-10 15:16:59

Horst

Hi John, thanks a lot for your detailled explanation. Seems as if I was just in bad luck when I selected the pipe character...
Let's see if I got your right: You could change the replacement (pipe replaced by !) so that I get the 'normal' sort order, but it won't solve all other problems that are related to those special characters. Therefore you don't want to change it.

I use a special tool to transfer my songs to the Iriver. During transfer mode, the Iriver works like a universal USB drive, so I actually could simply drag and drop the files. However, the database building process is pretty slow on the Iriver. Therefore this tool does both, it transfers the files and it creates the database files for the iriver within seconds. After that, the database handling is done on the Iriver, and the sorting algorithm is burried somewhere in the firmware, i.e. not accessible.

I have just had another idea: I have consequently set the user categories to 'classical' and 'pop'. Doing a multi-column-sort, sorting the category firstly and album title secondly should solve my problem if 'pop' is sorted behind 'classical'. I will try that and come back later.
Horst

#4 2007-07-10 16:46:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I actually don't mind changing the character -- I could make it selectable.  Perhaps I could even ignore that first character when doing an artist search...

Harder for me would be to allow you to keep the character -- because then I'd have to do a bit of coding to handle it wherever it occurs (instead of removing it during the scan).

Let me know what you think...

Board footer