MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-06-16 19:57:26

tiredkhan999

Vista?

Has your program been tested for compatibility with Vista?

I wanted to test it but ran into a 'Data execution prevention' problem. Is it the Access Runtime engine that comes with MP3-Boss what needs to be prevented from DEP? I wasn't sure so decided that I shouldn't go further with it.

Thanks for help

#2 2007-06-17 04:27:59

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Vista?

Are you running it in Administrator mode?

Was the DEP during the install or after the install?

You definitely need to install mp3-boss in administrator mode.  I have a few customers that are running Mp3-boss without problem -- the only known problem is that it isn't compatible with Access2007 (I plan to take care of this in the furture).

#3 2007-06-17 05:24:50

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'd like to get an idea of how many MP3-Boss users are running under VISTA.

If you are running under VISTA, please let me know, and let me know if there were any problems during installation or operation.

Thanks!

#4 2007-06-17 14:21:33

tiredkhan999

mccaffjt wrote:

Are you running it in Administrator mode?

Was the DEP during the install or after the install?

You definitely need to install mp3-boss in administrator mode.  I have a few customers that are running Mp3-boss without problem -- the only known problem is that it isn't compatible with Access2007 (I plan to take care of this in the furture).

I was Administrator. It happened after installing. I presume it happens as soon as Access is called upon. Maybe it is just a case of turning off DEP for the Access bit that comes with MP3-Boss (?).   Anyway, I didn't really want to play around with stuff that I don't really understand so I'll probably wait to hear from successful Vista users before trying again.

Thanks for your help

#5 2007-06-18 04:41:09

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Here's a reply from one person using MP3-Boss under VISTA:

Nope didn't have any problems with mp3 boss installation under Vista Home Premium, it was the first thid party application I installed and didn't have anything that doesn't come OEM (MS Works, etc.)

What version of VISTA are you using?

#6 2007-06-18 10:47:58

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I found this information about another Access97 runtime application -- so evidently some people see the problem (but not everyone!):

When I attempt to start <application X>, I get a "Data Execution Prevention" message and/or a "memory could not be written" message. The AppX splash screen shows, but AppX doesn't start.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature of Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 that only has effect on newer CPUs. DEP has an application compatability conflict with Microsoft Access 97, which AppX uses. Therefore Access must be allowed to DEP in order to avoid AppX startup problems in these environments.

To allow AppX to run, go into Control Panel, then click System. Choose the Advanced tab, then the Settings button of the Performance area. On the subsequent dialog, select the Data Execution Prevention tab. The option "Turn on DEP for all programs except those I select" should be checked. "Microsoft Access" is probably already in the list and needs to be checked; if it's not in the list, you can add it (pick "Microsoft Access" if it appears, or add "C:\Program Files\Access 97 Runtime\msaccess.exe".)

A reboot may be required after applying this change (but won't be in all environments).

Other keywords: faulting application msaccess.exe
Applicable to single PC and network (including Citrix, terminal server) environments

#7 2007-09-01 12:50:47

kblond

When do you plan to have an update for compatibility with Access2007?

#8 2007-09-01 13:12:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The MP3-Boss v0.633 beta and later is completely VISTA and Access2007 compatible.

v0.634 beta-test releases available:
Full install:
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3boss.zip
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3.exe

Update install:
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3update.zip
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3update.exe

Board footer