MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-13 03:42:22

AtlGuy

Customize Reports

In the reports options you have a few good basic reports. Is there any way to expand on those reports.(without cutting and pasting to excel)So I can pick and chose which colums will print on the report. Should this be under new features request?

#2 2004-12-13 04:01:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Customize Reports

It is very difficult to create a "select whatever you want" report that still looks reasonable, particularly when some of the obvious columns like title can be very long.

The reason reports selection is in a Tab View dialog is so there is plenty of room for new reports.

If there is a report you need, give me an example and I'll see what I can do...

#3 2004-12-13 04:27:28

AtlGuy

No big deal.. I let you in on a secret. I have set up a ODBC connection to the Data.mdb and I access that as a read only in a new access project. I link to the fields that I want and create the sorts that I want Artist Title ect.. Then I go int Reports and create my own reports there... and Data access Pages..(I just thought you stuff was pretty cool).....

Jim

#4 2004-12-13 04:29:50

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Give me examples of the reports (or even send me the reports forms!), and I can add them directly.  Since you are already creating reports...you know what I mean when I say it is hard to create a good-looking generic 'do-whatever-you-want' report.  All of my reports have underlying code.

Your link to DATA.MDB sounds like a good idea...amazing what you can do with the underlying Access database data!  Maybe someone should come up with an mp3 database based on an Access database? wink

#5 2004-12-13 04:48:02

AtlGuy

Hummm...I am a firm beliver in sharing the knowledge...As I create reports I will document to you what I did and send you the finish product with the way (forms ect)I arrived to that report.. and you do what ever you want.. I am also working on html reports using realtime mp3 data so my friends can access my mp3 catalog from my personal website(think SQL)

#6 2004-12-13 04:51:07

AtlGuy

Maybe have another board for just reports? see if people have any suggestions...

#7 2004-12-13 06:09:53

AtlGuy

i will also add to the mix once you set up a connection in ODBC you can basicly extract data from MP3 into any ODBC compliant application Word Excel, Crystal Reports Slice and Dice the Data in your favorite application without touching the data

#8 2004-12-18 20:57:55

Dr. G

I think the Excel way is the simplest answer. Embedded reports would add needless complexity to the already complex Boss interface.

Last edited by Dr. G (2004-12-18 20:58:38)

#9 2005-01-09 11:18:34

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Dr. G wrote:

I think the Excel way is the simplest answer. Embedded reports would add needless complexity to the already complex Boss interface.

Because of the multi-page tabbed layout for reports in MP3-Boss, I can add additional reports without too much trouble.  There is a single 'default' report...but if you want more, you go to the Reports page.

I agree with you though...if you want the utmost in flexibility...just Copy (Ctrl-C) from MP3-Boss List View and Paste (Ctrl-V) into Excel.  By combining sorting/filtering in MP3-Boss with the layout flexibility in Excel -- you can generate very fancy reports of just the information you need.

I used to have a link to some examples of Mp3-Boss/Excel reports that a customer had created -- anybody have some examples?

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

Board footer