MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-11-11 23:44:56

t_e_z_a

checking for dupes

Hello,   I am not sure if this is obvious but is there an easy way to search for dupes based on there tags?  I have many duplicates that are different files (lengths or filesize etc.) but same song.  The looking the dupes utility seems to find only exact copies.  Am I missing something.

Cheers

#2 2007-11-12 03:18:41

t_e_z_a

Re: checking for dupes

Also Is there anyway to quickly tick all of a column in the exact dupes page?  For example I added all the files off my dads computer which contained around 5000 identical files but around 2000 new files.  I had to click down and space many times choosing file 1 or 2 to be deleted.  It would be much easier if there was a way to auto delete exact dupes (specifiying master directory as default keep file) or auto click the whole of delete1 or delete2 columns.   Do you know what I mean.

Cheers

#3 2007-11-12 05:12:14

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If you deselect the "Exact duplicates ONLY" checkbox, then MP3-Boss will find partial duplicates -- the length won't matter, but the partial match would have to be the same bitrate.

I plan to add duplicate checking based on MusicIP -- the song quality, format, and length won't matter.  I also want to add "sounds-like" based on artist/album/title.

Here's how you tick off hundreds or thousands of checkboxes at once:
In Duplicates/DataSheet/2-File -- use the right-mouse button to "Select ALL" and "Clear ALL" to select all Delete1 or Delete2 in a column. 

Have you tried using filters in the duplicates screen?  Highlight a word or words (for instance, if you just want to look for duplicates in your "c:\mp3\new_songs" directory, then right-click and select "Filter by Selection".  I find that it really helps speed up the selection process.

I find that the combination of filters and "Mark ALL Selected" for a column really speeds things up...even if you have thousands of duplicates.

#4 2007-11-14 00:03:16

t_e_z_a

For example I now have 4 versions of Grinspoon - Hard Act To Follow.mp3 (#1, #2, etc)   is there a way bring them all up and compair (e.g filesize, length, bitrate, etc)   its is painfully slow to do it manualy and for all my duplicates.   No matter what I press in the dupes screen it is not finding any duplicate files.

Thanks

#5 2007-11-14 00:49:00

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Could you send me the duplicate files so I can take a look?  Just keep the file size per email down below 10MB --
john.t.mccaffreyXXXsnet.net

(change the X's to @).

Thanks,
John

#6 2007-11-14 02:25:02

t_e_z_a

emails sent to comments@mp3-boss.com   let me know what you find

#7 2007-11-14 04:57:13

t_e_z_a

sorry i didnt read your message properly .. sending to the correct address, they didnt go through to the other one anyway . had to send one file at a time   -  I didnt actually have 6 files it just renamed the dupes #5 and #6.  Looking through the files it has chosen many seemingly random numbers for the duplicates.  Is this normal?

#8 2007-11-14 14:44:03

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

MP3-Boss isn't renaming your files when it finds duplicates (at least it shouldn't be!) -- instead it is just finding the files on your computer and putting them in the list.  Can you send me a screen shot of the problem?

#9 2007-11-14 23:28:54

t_e_z_a

No it renames the dupes like that after I move/rename them in list view.   Like if I have three files with the tags  Artist - grinspoon Title - hard act to follow  I choose to move to D:/music/artist and rename the file artist - title.  Because there is more than one with the tag it renames them #1, #2, etc. (in these cases #5 & #6 - i dont know why) .

I cant take a screen shot of the problem cause the only problem I have is that i dont know an easy way to go through my thousands of duplicates with same artist/title.  The numbering issue is not a problem because I am hoping to get rid of all the duplicates so it wont have to rename them.   

I dont even think i can just search for files with a # because in most search things it is a wild card.   That would not be ideal either because I want to be able to choose to keep the best quality file - obviusly.

#10 2007-11-15 04:19:43

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'll take a look at this in detail this weekend.

Anybody else have comments regarding duplicate checking?  I've not figured out a way to make sure that Mp3-Boss auto-selects the "worst" file -- because so many things can be different about a file -- format, bitrate, length, glitches...

#11 2007-11-15 22:32:53

t_e_z_a

thanks .. have a look into it.   the auto-select is not vital im just after a way for the dupe checker to bring up files with the same artist and title tag.  I dont mind going through and checking which one ill keep though normally i would choose the file with best bitrate.

#12 2007-11-16 19:58:04

t_e_z_a

been looking around and there is a programs call abee dupe finder or something like that.   it looks simple but the evaulation software sucks and puts a banner over eveything so its hard to use.   as if when there is a program as powerfull as your out there people would want to pay $20 for a program that just finds mp3 dupes ... lame.

#13 2007-11-17 06:00:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks for your comments!

Feel free to let others know what you think about MP3-Boss -- I really like to see people use it!

#14 2007-11-18 08:16:27

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I checked out your duplicates.

2 of the files were identified as exact duplicates with normal duplicate checking.

Of the 3 remaining, 2 were at 128K and 1 at 192K.  I need to look further into why the 128K files weren't identified as partial duplicates -- it may be that the tag information at the start of the file caused the problem.

Good news though -- the MusicIP identifier was identical for all three.  I'll add duplicate checking based on MusicIP soon -- even better than Artist/Title checking, since it doesn't depend on correctly entering that information...

#15 2007-11-19 03:35:28

t_e_z_a

that would be great  ill keep an eye out - any approx timeframe untill that is released?  Will that take awhile to perform as it will need to look up each file with music ID?  probally have to leave it work overnight.  Thanks for you help

#16 2007-11-19 04:34:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've been meaning to add a new 'scan-type' of "MusicIP lookup" -- that would fill in the MusicIP information for any files that don't already have it.

It would be slow (which is why I don't think most people should use the "MusicIP lookup for ALL files" option during scanning), but as long as it could be done in the background...I think it is a good option.  I find that MusicIP is now finding the information for the majority of 'real' music files.  'Real' meaning something that was sold as a music CD (not sound-effects).

I'm still trying to figure out my holiday schedule (Thanksgiving & Christmas).  There is a chance that I can do a good bit of programming over Thanksgiving...

#17 2007-11-19 05:47:29

t_e_z_a

well i suggest putting a pause button to allow a break for large collections or someway to ensure if the computer is shutdown or the program freezes it saves what has already downloaded.  Good luck

#18 2007-11-19 17:42:08

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Scanning can always be stopped/restarted (although each restart first does the file scan to locate the files) -- MusicIP is stored as part of the database record (you can see that information in the Detail View for a song).

#19 2007-11-22 00:19:46

t_e_z_a

another suggestion regarding dupes is to make a tickbox, button - or something similar to auto choose to keep the file that is already in a folder of your choice.

For example I store my music in D:/music.  If i goto a mates house and grab some songs on a portable hard drive and bring it home, add the files to mp3 boss and click find dupes and it come up with 500 songs.   I would prefer not to go through, looking at the directories to keep the orginal file as this takes a long time, but i dont just want to click delete all column two as mp3 boss seems to randomily put the D;/music files on one side and the J: songs on the other side and visa versa.   Are you following me?  I ramble a bit.   

In other words it would be good for a button like "remove file(s) not in default directory" or something similar.

My reasoning for this is one, I try to have my files tagged correctly and i dont know what the new songs are tagged like (so deleting the one I already have may make me loose info) and two, it saves time in the transfer/moving/renaming of the new file.   Thanks

Board footer