MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2007-11-25 18:25:15

percepto

This might be a 'newb' question!

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for a fantastic program. I just downloaded it today, so maybe I need to read the help files (I have done but not extensively) a little more. I have a couple of questions before I commit to purchasing.
1. If I move files or change them in explorer, how do I make the database reflect the changes? Is scanning the only way as this takes a long time, even if I've only changed the title of 1 folder for example.
2. If my 'artist' and 'title' tags are the wrong way around (artist is in the title field and vice-versa) how do I change this? I have been using MP3Tag to edit the tags as it's much easier to use than your program (but without the versatility!), but I have the same problem to 'sync' the results with the database. I would imagine MP3-Boss can do it but I can't find out how!
Many thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

#2 2007-11-25 19:04:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: This might be a 'newb' question!

The easiest way to move files around (and keep them up to date in MP3-Boss) is to just do it within MP3-Boss.

Changing the Filepath or Filename in Mp3-Boss will actually update the file.  It is particularly easy in MP3-Boss if you want to change a bunch of files -- since you can just use "CopyDown" in List View to move a bunch of files to the same place.  Even easier, you can use AutoMove (a toolbar button near the top of ListView) to automatically move and/or rename files).

If you don't want to name/move in MP3-Boss, then you'll either have to rescan, or you can name the file again in MP3-Boss -- it will detect that the original file is missing and update the information.

There is a SWAP button in List View (right to the right of Filter/Category selection) that lets you swap the artist & title automatically.  I probably should also add this as a right-click drop-down, but haven't yet...

Glad you like the program!

#3 2007-11-26 10:47:46

percepto

Thanks a lot for your rapid response! I'm still having problems I'm afraid and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong!
I'll try and be as clear as possible.
I tried to use the 'Automove' to rename a file but it behaved very erratically!
I have a file named in this configuration:
01 - Summer Sky - Honeyroot.mp3
I tried to rename it using the 'Automove' button and I created the format :
Track - Artist - Title (I created the ' - ' by inserting them in the empty box in the 'Autorename Custom Template' tab. I got the following result:
01HoneyrootSummer Sky01- - 01 - Honeyroot - Summer Sky01 - Honeyroot - Summer Sky01-Honeyroot-Summer Sky01 - HoneyrootSummer Sky - Honeyroot01 - Honeyroot - Summer Sky.mp3 (I cut and pasted this directly from explorer)
???
This is an operation that would take me about 30 seconds (for a couple of albums, to reverse the artist and title tags and that automatically updates the file in explorer) in MP3 Tag (please don't think I am rude to keep mentioning this program, it's just that I expected at least the same functionality from your program which is much more detailed and versatile)
If I use the 'swap' button it also changes the filename (which I don't want to happen, it's only the tags that are wrong). For example, I tried the 'swap' button on a file and it removed the track number (in the filename) also???
Presuming there is something I have overlooked and it works as you say it does how do I perform swap on multiple files?
If I change the tags by 'copy down' how do I get that to reflect in the file ie to save the changes I made? Again, for example I changed the 'user category' (genre)  field for an album but that doesn't show when I right click/properties the file in windows explorer??
I hope these are just 'teething troubles' that will disappear when I use the program a little more. The trouble is I am wasting a lot of time trying to do something very basic.
Again, I appreciate any help you can give as I certainly don't expect you to spend all your time answering my questions, but I see these as intrinsic operations that I would perform on a regular basis.
I'm using version 0.637
Many thanks
Chris

#4 2007-11-26 18:02:28

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

You are right -- there is a bug when using Track - Artist - Title.

I got:
Track - Artist - Title - Artist - TItle.mp3

as a result.  I will fix the problem in the next release -- no idea yet why that happens, but I don't think I had tried Track as the first item in the list.

The SWAP button was really designed to change both the filename AND Artist/Title -- you are right that it would be nice to change just the tags separately.  Most MP3-Boss features are the result of user requests, and I guess in most cases, both have been wrong.  I'll have to think about the best way to separate tags & filenames.  Do you have a suggestion?

When you make a change in Mp3-Boss, it doesn't automatically rewrite the tag.   Once you have made the changes you want, just click the TAG button in List View, and select "Edited ONLY" and "Auto-Update ALL" to update all the tags that you've edited.

No problem answering questions -- it is the only way I find out what people are using...and what I need to improve.  Thanks!

#5 2007-11-26 18:48:24

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've corrected the rename bug for v0.639.

It turns out that any existing template isn't cleared when you open Custom.  That explains why I saw somewhat different results than you did.

Right now, it should work fine for the first custom template you create -- but if you open and close the custom dialog multiple times ... each time you'll append the new information (even though it looks OK -- the actual template wasn't cleared).

Fixed in v0.639 ... I hope to get that out soon.

#6 2007-11-27 01:16:10

percepto

Once again, thanks for your rapid reply! I'm just surprised at the excellent level of service you provide as it's certainly not the norm!
The problem is I name all my files with the 'track - title - artist' format. When you say 'do you have a suggestion' for the tags and filenames, I hope you don't mind me pointing you to this program.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
I have been using this for about a year and it's a really excellent little app and does everything I wish for naming files. If you had this functionality your program would be a killer!
I followed your advice about changing tags, sorry, it doesn't work! I changed the user category (to 'Chillout' which is not 1 of the presets) in 1 file clicked the tag button, 'edited only' and then 'auto-update all' but this did not update the tag info in the actual file itself only in the database.
Also what about renaming multiple files?
Is there no way to include a 'watching' functionality so if any changes are made the program lets you know that something doesn't match up? For example if a file or path is changed and you double click the file in MP3Boss to play it it doesn't play (obviously!) but also gives you no indication of what has changed. It would be invaluable if it could then search only for files/paths that were missing rather than scanning a complete drive again.
I have an Ipod and a Creative Zen so a program like yours (with all the functions I need actually working!) is invaluable. The Creative Media Source Organiser is actually very good, much better than Itunes but I'm looking for something that can manage and organise my library in a functional and efficient way.
Thanks again for your input
Chris

#7 2007-11-27 04:54:23

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'll take a look at mp3tag and see what I could add -- are there specific features that you really need that are missing?

The custom format problem will be fixed in the next release (and I'll add 'track - title - artist' as a new format), but if you want to try to create the format again, you'd need to:
1) Delete the custom format you have
2) Exit and Re-start Mp3-Boss (to make sure the template is cleared)
3) Re-create the custom format...but make sure you don't make any mistakes along the way.

Really sorry about this one -- I don't know when the bug crept in ... but it has been awhile since I've used it much.  Sorry!

Regarding the tags -- does Winamp show the updated information?  If Windows explorer only shows ID3v1 information, it can't show any new user categories.  ID3v1 is limited to the original list of categories.

I don't know what you mean about renaming multiple files -- what do you need (besides having me fix AutoName/AutoRename! smile)?

"Watching" sounds like a good idea -- I should probably add it as an option to "Utilities/Cleanup" -- so instead of removing the database information it would show the missing files in List View.  I'll have to think about how best to do that...

Thanks for your help!

#8 2007-11-27 05:49:59

percepto

Thanks again for the reply.
I want to be able to rename multiple tags or files without having to do it individually. I think if you fix this problem in 'Automove' maybe I'll be able to do what I need. The best thing (in my humble opinion!) is to look at the functionality of MP3Tag and work these in to MP3Boss.
Regarding the tags I tried just changing a file's user category from 'Rock' to 'Rock & Roll' (both presets). It doesn't reflect the changes in the actual file itself even after using the tag button and 'Auto-update-all'.
If you could work out how to make the database 'watch' the folders and files for changes it would make life a lot simpler. I want my database to exactly reflect my drives without having to manually rescan every time. It would be nice to have the option to make the database reflect the files or the files to reflect the database with regards to filenaming and tags.
I'll wait for the new version then we'll go from there.
Keep up the good work
Thanks
Chris

#9 2007-11-27 17:56:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'll let you know when I release v0.639.

Anybody else seeing a tag update problem?

Board footer