MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-01-01 18:17:32

Anonymous User

Multiple Albums for one MP3

not strictly the domain of MP3BOSS but you may have some coding ideas
for the full guts of the "problem" check out the following links

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto … mp;start=8
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto … p;start=18

the crux of it is duplicate entries in database I believe that a table repicating a subset of data advailable from <SOURCE> (ie: musicbrainz is mentioned in the above examples IMHO because of its XML style output) containing information on WHOLE ALBUMS that you select (IE upon freedb (gateway) lookup) and list matching files stored locally,(possibily null) I have ideas here (can share at a later date if interested)

then either reference this "WHOLE ALBUM" data during lookups, or my personal favorite, entries in the main table for each time a file appears in a album you have selected (it is this bogus entry method I shall explan)

take for example "new york mining Disaster 1941"
music brainz query reveals that this album is on numorious "best of" compliations and atleast two studio albums
http://musicbrainz.org/search/textsearc … rguments=1

say for example you have ripped a copy of "The Very Best of the Bee Gees"
then you put in the "Bee Gees Story" cd in this case both complations

although purist would want both copys, im guessing based on the length of song according to musicbrainz that there is a 80%+ chance that they were in fact pressed with the same master copy of song (but I degress,)

I suggest that in this case before "adding second cd" there is an existing entry in database for    "The Very Best of the Bee Gees" -- New Your min,,,,, (filename) etc

the entry for the "Bee Gees Story" -- New york,,, etc would point to the same file as the first with a field (or note in comments etc) to alert to the fact it is a dup entry,

#2 2008-01-10 22:54:41

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Multiple Albums for one MP3

I've thought about this in the past -- allowing multiple records to point to the same files. (right?)

Definitely some good points...although then I have to be very careful about what deleting the file means ... only delete the file after deleting all copies of the record (although that might confuse people trying to cleanup their hard disk).

I've tried making MP3-Boss fully relational in regards to Album/Artist -- but it is harder than you'd think because of the number of times you get Albums without artist (and so many Albums have the same name).  So...I do a pretty good job with an Artist table, but haven't ever done the same with an Album table.

Always interested in hearing new ideas on how to handle this...

#3 2008-01-12 18:28:21

Anonymous User

Re: Multiple Albums for one MP3

inline reply so bare with me,,

<qoute>
I've thought about this in the past -- allowing multiple records to point to the same files. (right?)
</qoute>

that was my original thinking, yeah, since decided that should I get around to tracking down my programming knowledge and time to create everything from scratch I might have the app move the files that are added to a "secret" folder and create OS hard links in a <Artist>/<Album>/<filename> type hirechy but thats beyond the scope of this current discussion

<QUOTE>
Definitely some good points...although then I have to be very careful about what deleting the file means ... only delete the file after deleting all copies of the record (although that might confuse people trying to cleanup their hard disk).
</QUOTE>

how bout a tick box in the delete dialog, (like delete all instances)

<QUOTE>
I've tried making MP3-Boss fully relational in regards to Album/Artist -- but it is harder than you'd think because of the number of times you get Albums without artist (and so many Albums have the same name).  So...I do a pretty good job with an Artist table, but haven't ever done the same with an Album table.
</QUOTE>

musicbrainz method is to each Album has seperate track entries each album and each of its tracks has a unique number (12 digit Primary key??)

now accessing by searching musicbrainz XMLwebservice for each of the Artists in your artist table you could possibably access the list of albums said artist has released and track titles etc...

I would only have APP query musicbrainz database when album is selected to be added to Application (IE via FREEDBID lookup)

import list of songs on album in to large list (table?) of songs with some way of idendifying that the song is on that album possibly a large field with all of the musicbrainz ids for the albums that you have selected,

IE  using privious example of New york mining disster (not the best example because of the name change at some point but,,,,)

user selects that they have "Bee Gees Story" the song has 1 musicbrainz id for  "Bee Gees Story"  next when "The Very Best of the Bee Gees" is added to application the musicbrainz id for that album is
also added,

it would be this ID/referance that would be used during population of main database that would create the multiple entries

some how the program would know that its the same file during duplicate checking purhaps it only checks once for each filename I do belive that this is a seperate and easliy handle problem for later)

Board footer