MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-01-20 12:13:13

Steve K

Skip Errors

Hello,

I just downloaded and am using the tool. Very Nice.. I immediately paid for it.

I do have a question... I have about 9K of files most mp3 but a lot of m4a. It seems like ever one of them gets skipped. On initial scan I have 1000+ skipped files. They do play and are greater than 256...

How can I correct these so they will be in the database? Is there an automated way? At the top of the list screen for the skipped files it talks about deleting the tag. How is that done.

Also during scanning next to MUSICIP in the bottom of the window has 2 numbers 1254/1325. What are those?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

#2 2008-01-21 08:29:43

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Skip Errors

Try the v0.640 beta of Mp3-Boss and see if that fixes the skip error problem.  v0.640 does a more thorough check of the m4a files to make sure that they aren't good before skipping them.  Make sure you backup your mp3boss directory before doing the upgrade, because a couple of people have had problems with the upgrade (I'm trying to track down the problem).

If you find an mp3 file that is skipped (and shouldn't have been), please send me the file -- I'm not aware of any skip problem with those...

The musipIP 1254/1325 means that 1325 files were sent to the MusicIP server for information, and information was available for 1254 of those files.  The other files will eventually be processed by MusicIP to come up with an identifier.  Last month, almost 300K files were sent to the MusicIP server by Mp3-Boss users (which means about 3M files were scanned!).  Because so many files are sent to MusicIP -- the hit ratio is getting very good (originally, I saw a ratio of perhaps 1 hit of 4 files...you are seeing more than 9 out of 10!).

#3 2008-01-26 08:32:23

Steve K

John,

HELP...
I copied my entire MP3 directory to a new one so I would have a backup. Installed the update version of .640. Rescaned ny drive and only a few files were skipped and these were valid.. 1 Problem fixed.

Here is now where I am.... I was renaming some files both inside and outside of MP3-BOSS. I then wanted to do a look for dups and it was complaining that it could not file directories because I renamed them. Ok that made since so I did a rescan probably left the add new files only button checked so that did not fix the problem.

I de installed the program and went and got the full .640 install file since I had only downloaded the update. It installed OK but I checked the box to automatically start the program so it did but then I notice a button from the install that says I have to restart my machine. I did that. Now I am trying to scan to create the database all over. When the scan gets to what looks like the last directory it just hangs and never completes. I I hit stop scan or done it asks me if I really want to and I say yes. I close the program and come back in and it makes me start the scan all over and hangs again.

I am on XP SP2. I'm going to reinstall again and see what happens.

Also I paid for my licence on Jan 19 and still don't have it.

#4 2008-01-26 09:23:03

Steve K

Update.. The problem is caused when you stop scan or click done during the first pass. It is never able to recover from that. I completely re installed and set all my options like I wanted them when program first opened and all is working fine now.

Suggested updates
1) When first starting the program and you get the message to set the music player it might be good to say something like check/modify all options before starting scan.
2) remove the Start MP3-Boss Automatically check box if a re-boot is required. If no reboot required that prompt should be shut off.
3) When modifying the list of exclusions and after typing what you want in the open line a carriage return should take you to the next line. Not sure if that can be done in access.

Thanks
Steve

#5 2008-01-26 09:58:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Steve,

Wow -- thanks for all this information!

I will check out the 'click done during first pass' -- that may be exactly the problem a couple other people are having.  I've never seen the problem here...but if I create an empty table...and then try to move to the first (nonexistent) record...that could explain what is happening.  If it is, I should be able to get an update out tomorrow.

You are right...that it is a good idea to check all the options before doing a scan.  The only reason I haven't said that is that I don't want to scare away too many customers!  There are probably too many options, and I've tried to assign reasonable defaults.

My installer (Wise) doesn't tell me if a reboot is required, so either I need to remove the "Start MP3-Boss" option, or always show it.  I've never been able to figure out why a reboot is required ... I think sometimes the installer forces a reboot when it isn't required.  Other times (for example, when installing over a running copy of MP3-Boss), it is definitely required.

When you say modifying the list of exclusions -- do you mean paths to skip, or somewhere else?

Sorry about not sending you the registration immediately -- I've been at Photonics West all week, and so wasn't able to easily send out registrations.

John

#6 2008-01-27 07:19:23

Steve K

John... Thanks.

It is not only the Done button it is also the stop scan button either one will cause the problem.

Wow This new version not only cleared up all the skip errors but seems to have identified a lot of Dups that did not show in .639. Saving me about 500M.

Yes Paths to skip.. Sorry the scan was running when I posted and I could not get to the options to get the right name.

Another suggestion. Because the list of dups is so long it would be good to have a sort option in the dups list by filename 1.

Also in the list of dups. If I click one of the delete boxes on the last line showing on the screen it moves the list up (GOOD) but does not check the box (bad).

Also.. And this might be a windows bug. In the dups list if I move the right hand side of the ope window to the right to make the box bigger and then move it to the left the scroll bar disappears but then if I drag it to the right again just 1/4 inch the scroll bar comes back. It is as if when dragging the side of the box the scroll bar is covered and moving it to the right uncovers it. You can see it show up a little at a time. It's as if the box does not resize correctly.

No problem on the license I just wanted to make sure the order went in.

Thanks again
Steve

#7 2008-01-27 11:41:43

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I can't duplicate the problem with the Done/Stop buttons.  However, I did find that I had a problem after selecting Overwrite -- it would clear all the extensions to scan...so wouldn't scan anything after that.  This will be fixed in next release.  However, anyone seeing 'unable to locate new files' should look in configuration and make sure that some file extensions (e.g., MP3) are checked.

I've fixed Paths2Skip in next release.

To sort the Duplicates -- just Right-Click in the field you want to sort and select "Sort Ascending" or "Sort Descending".

For the scroll bar problem -- is that the horizontal scroll bar, when the form isn't maximized?  I don't think there is anything I can do about that...you are right that Windows takes care of showing/hiding the scrollbar.

Board footer