MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-02-24 17:09:45

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

v0.648 Beta Release February 25!

See the next message for a description of all that is new in v0.647.  An additional fix was made with the v0.648 release to automatically update a couple of ID3v2 fields when you change user_category.  After a few people give me feedback, I plan to make this the official release. 

Probably the biggest change over v0.646 is that this new version gets rid of the "enter parameter" problem when creating ID3v2 tags.

I'd like to make v0.648 the official version soon -- so it would be great if you could give me feedback as soon as possible.  As with all initial beta releases, please be sure to backup your current MP3-Boss installation before installing the beta.

Full install:
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3boss.zip
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3.exe

Update install:
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3update.zip
web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/beta/mp3update.exe

Please let me know if you find any problems with the beta.  Thanks!

#2 2008-02-24 19:10:19

downeast

Re: v0.648 Beta Release February 25!

Well the good news is that the enter parameter message
went away.

But the bad news it that I'm about to give up on MP3 Boss;
changes I make do NOT show up ... either when viewed from
Vista Explorer, or even when re-scanned by MP3 Boss.

Simple test:

1.  I changed the User_Category to "!Broadway" for all
tracks in a test folder (changed the first, then Copy Down).

2.  Went to "Tag" and chose "Edited Only" and it DOES
recognize the correct number of files to update.  Did
Auto-Update ALL and things seemed fine.  (The modified
dates on the files changed, so assumed things were OK.)

3.  However in Vista the Genre had not changed (when I
did the same change 2 or 3 Betas ago they did show up).

4.  Next I changed the Album name for all the same files.
Seemed to work, but no change when viewed from Windows.

5.  Copyied the entire (album) folder to another folder
(using a DOS based C-Shell) and rescanned with MP3-Boss.

6.  NONE of the changes I had made showed up when viewed
by MP3-Boss List View.

Am I clueless, or are the changes not really being made
in the MP3 files???

#3 2008-02-24 21:51:57

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I've made another change -- automatically updating the ID3v2 TCON (content group) and TIT1 (category) fields when you update user_category.  I also automatically update Genre (ID3v1) when it is allowed.

I tracked down the category problem that you saw to this -- because I wasn't updating all of those fields, the results would revert back if you just changed user_category.

I used your files and did the following:
1) Changed User_Category to a new category
2) Used CopyDown to change a number of additional files
3) Updated all edited tags
4) Overwrote the database & rescanned -- new information was shown.
...I also saw the updated information in the "Genre" category in WinXP

However, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you saw with the Album.  Are you certain you wrote out the tags after updating the albums?  I performed the same test as shown above, and all of the album information was updated -- both in a rescan of the files, and under WinXP.

New version (0.648) is being uploaded now, so should be available in about 45minutes or so...

#4 2008-02-25 05:46:26

downeast

Am downloading 0.648 and will test tonight.  I swear I also updated after the Album change, but who knows.  I did notice soon after that the modified time on the files didn't seem to have been updated after that change.  Will test again with 648.  It was the exact same 16 files I had just changed in the first test ... again when I selected Edited Only all 16 were identified ... it's possible I didn't press Auto-Update at that point, but ...

Maybe it decided it had already updated all those files, and once was enough smile

BTY, I like having a separate topic for each release.  It allows discussion of that release, but unless there is a way to subscribe to every new topic in this section I still recommend you create a "Latest Release" topic which if we subscribe to will notify us when you post a release.

Thanks, Wren

#5 2008-02-25 05:57:57

downeast

Just did a VERY QUICK test, duplicating the "Simple Test" above.  Everything worked great!

You can write the "Album" problem off to operator error, I'll claim 648 fixed that problem too smile

#6 2008-02-26 07:56:12

downeast

Have found no new problems, 648 looks like a good candidate to become the official release.

Have subscribed to the "Latest Release" topic, thanks!

#7 2008-02-27 05:06:22

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks!

I plan to eventually upgrade this forum to the latest release so that you can get notified when any email is added to a group -- but have been trying to figure out how to backup the MySQL database on my webserver.

I've found 3 minor problems with v0.648, and plan to fix those by the weekend ... and then that will be the release.

1) If an invalid Genre (integer <255, but doesn't correspond to known genre) is embedded in the tag, you'll get an error.  I will add code to skip that genre and write-out to the MP3Boss.LOG file.

2) Speedup the "Please wait while main program is loaded" by about 5s -- for some reason I was refreshing all of the table links at every startup, even if they weren't changed.

3) Changing User_Category for filetypes that don't natively support ID3v2 tags (e.g., WMA) could cause an error.

#8 2008-02-28 20:02:18

markrob

John, this beta is working better than the results I've had in the past, but again several (probably around 50 out of roughly 15k) of the records seem to be losing the correct user_category and genre. Seems to be artist-dependent to some degree (mostly Incubus, Peter Gabriel).

Also - one other change I've seen in this beta that I didn't expect is that I'm running into a lot of problems trying to copy down two columns (genre,user_category or compilation,select) at the same time. This used to work but now generates an error message:
(3420). Object invalid or no longer set.. Retry or Cancel". Retry nets the same message repeatedly.

#9 2008-02-29 04:17:34

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Please send me a few of your mp3 files that are showing that user_category/genre problem.  Also, please send me your mp3boss.log file.

I'll take a look at CopyDown with:
genre,user_category or compilation,select

...the change I made recently to User_Category probably explains the 1st problem.  However, I'm really surprised by compilation/select -- since I don't think I've made a change to those in ages.  All the fun of programming!

#10 2008-03-01 06:33:12

markrob

John - update on copy down issue. Not working on even a single column most of the time, occasionally it does, haven't been able to find a pattern. Trying to do single column select copy down this morning, I've been getting error (3265). Item not found in this collection..Retry or Cancel?

#11 2008-03-01 07:17:55

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I found the problem with copydown -- should have started to be a problem quite a few versions ago, although because I've increased the number of default columns it's now more likely to show up.

Fixed in v0.649.  I hope to get this out today -- as an official release.

It would be great if you could send me a few of those troublesome songs so I can make sure the problem is fixed in v0.649.

Board footer