MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-02-05 21:49:30

ralph

How to rebuild my data base?

The inevitable happened and my computer crashed.  I had over 9000 tracks scanned, rated and commented in MP3 Boss.  I'm pretty sure I have preserved correctly all the MP3 files on an external drive.  Now I need to know how to set up MP3 Boss for the new system.  If I load my old database (mdb) files, they will point to directories that no longer exist, or certainly have different drive letters.

I think I did find my registration # from over 5 years ago.  So I may be ready to download the latest edition. 

Is there something written that tells me how to deal with this issue - having to reconstruct  the database and setup music files?

Thanks

#2 2008-02-05 23:49:03

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: How to rebuild my data base?

First -- my condolences!  I know how awful it is to recover from a hard disk crash.  So much work to get everything back!

A few questions:

1) Do you have a good copy of at least the MP3-Boss DATA.MDB file?  Try to save  all your *.MD? files if you can.

2) How old was the version of MP3-Boss that you were using?

3) Do your copies of the mp3 files include the updated comment and tag information (in other words, did you use MP3-Boss to write the tag information out to those files)?  If they include all the updated information ... then simply rescanning would create a new database with all your comments ... but wouldn't rename your files or organize your drive.

This is a really good question.   There are some things that Mp3-Boss does in a manual way to help recover (it knows enough to simply update the database when you update the path/name for any file that doesn't exist at the original location) -- but I haven't automated a 'crash recovery'.  The update works well if the files are in order enough that a copydown of the path would update large blocks of files ... but if the names and locations are completely random ... then this would be a big job.

The MD5 calculation in more recent versions of Mp3-Boss might make an automated crash recovery feasible.  If you send me a copy of your DATA.MDB ... I will take a look and see if I can do a quick update to create a crash recovery feature.  Theoretically...I could completely rebuild everything from the DATA.MDB file -- including recreating the original filenames and directory structure.

The good news ... is that I think you'll like the new v0.641 beta version of MP3-Boss (if you haven't taken a look at new versions in awhile).  It supports many more music formats, MusicIP means that it recognizes lots of files automatically even if the tags aren't present, and it scans quite quickly.  v0.641 will almost certainly be the new official release this weekend ... so don't bother with v0.637.  Get the beta here:
http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … php?id=436

I'd also appreciate comments from others on what they've done to recover from a hard disk crash.

#3 2008-02-06 18:35:08

ralph

So are you saying that to make it easy, i need to set up my new disk in pretty much the same structure as before?   For instance, before I had the mp3 folders in a structure such as D:\MUSIC\COUNTRY...LATIN....JAZZ....BLUES.....ETC. ETC.  If I then set this same structure up on some other drive,  C: for example, would the changeover would be pretty easy?  Correct?   

But I guess It would be more difficult if I put my mp3s in a structure that is deeper or shallower than the old.  For instance:  MyDocuments/my music/mp3s/COUNTRY....LATIN...ETC, ETC.  This would be a tougher nut to crack.  correct?

Currently, I have all my MP3s on an external hard drive.  I think it is a complete collection, a mirror of the old.  I suppose I could point the MDB somehow to the external drive.  Then use MP3 Boss to move the files where I wanted them to be on my new computer.

#4 2008-02-06 19:09:13

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Ralph,

Correct -- but if you have a newer version that supports MD5 files (I think 0.618 or later), then I can probably make a quick 'crash-update' scan that would automatically locate all the files in your DATA.MDB.

...I could even auto-move them to the original location if desired.  Do you know what version of MP3-Boss you were running?

#5 2008-04-12 21:06:36

ralph

I think I'm really in trouble now.  Here's where I am:   I lost the partion and MFT on my disk that contained the MP3 Boss directory.  I have a few backups and I was able to recover some data using "GetTheData"  but I have to be careful about corrupted files.

I downloaded and installed .652.  I copied whatever md? files I had, but now the progam wants me to rescan, and does not seem to want to use my DATA.MDB   

Also, I am no longer registered as a user.   In previous upgrades and replacements I never lost my registration.   

Wonder how to proceed.   What is the minimum number *.md? files that I should have for a backup.  I had these files dated Jul 2007 in a backup directory labeled ver 630.
ArtistList.mdb
config.mdb
data.mdb
dupework.mdb
mpeg.mde
profiles.mdb
If there are other files I need to "look for" please let me know.

Hope I'm not totally lost.  Thanks

#6 2008-04-12 21:18:52

ralph

NEW INFO!

I figured out .652 installed into C:\Program Files\OPAL Network\MP3Boss rather than just C:\Program Files\MP3Boss.  So I copied the files I had (see prior post)  to there and the database came up okay.  However, It now says version .620???   How did I go back so many versions?

How should I update/proceed now?

#7 2008-04-13 04:09:48

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The really important data is all in DATA.MDB.

Your List View Profiles information is all kept in the PROFILES.MDB file.

MPEG.MDE is mainly program code -- so normally you don't need to restore that file.

First, make sure you have copies of the files.  Make sure you keep a good copy of DATA.MDB -- if needed, I can always take a look at it and see if it can be repaired (or I can write that MD5 recovery utility).

Then, run OPTIMIZE DATA and OPTIMIZE DATABASE (Start/Programs/MP3Boss).  Do you get a message saying that the files are OK?

Then, I'd update using v0.652 again ... the update will overwrite the MPEG.MDE file, but keep the DATA.MDB file.  When you bring up MP3-Boss again, it will tell you that DATA.MDB is out of date and then perform the update.

#8 2008-04-30 21:21:37

ralph

I reinstalled .652 and now MP3 Boss shows me unregistered.   I guess when I reinstalled one of the mdb files that carry the registration got overwritten.   Is this a glitch?

Interestingly though, it says I've been using MP3 Boss for 1943 days!  Probably about right.

#9 2008-04-30 21:34:06

ralph

It fixed itself!!    I closed MP3B then reopened.  It said "calculating" for some reason.  About 15 seconds later I got a "registered" notification.  Sweet! and Smooth too John.   I guess it's magic.

#10 2008-04-30 21:45:08

ralph

Looks like I'm pretty close to being back in business now.  I read the "bugs" post about drive mapping and decided to give that test.  Once I opened the mapping window and pressed update all the pointers in the database were updated. I was back to playing music and rating again.  I lost some records when I had to recover using 6 mos old version of DATA.MDB, but I can rescan.

#11 2008-05-01 02:21:03

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Good to hear that the recovery wasn't too painful.

I'll add 'automatic crash recovery' to my list of desired features, although it sounds like drive mapping took care of most of it for you.

Did the 'unregistered' message mean you couldn't work with MP3-Boss, or were you able to continue working.  The first time up with a new database will probably give the unregistered message, because mp3-boss rebuilds a table based on a combination of old and new data.  The next time up, you should be registered.  Sometimes it might take a couple rebuilds...if a lot of new fields have to be added.

Board footer