MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-06-22 20:21:20

ralph

Scanning Error

I'm in the final stages of rebuilding my music directories after disc failure.  I scanned a directory thai I had scanned before a couple of days ago, but I wanted to make sure all the folders (CD) were scanned correctly.  Now, in that prior scan event I had to terminate the scan because the scans became very, very slow around file # 400 or so. (There are 569 files in 44 folders in this "Jazz" directory).  I attributed the problem to Music IP.  Since, I have no idea what MusicIP is supposed to do I terminated the scan.   

Q#1.  Can your instructions to MP3B include details of MusicIP and when one would want/need to use it?

I turned MusicIP off in configuration today and re initiated the scan.  This time I also turned volume review on, so that I could see the new folders.  I was presented with a page full that I guess included folders I had previously scanned.  Once again I was presented with a quandry of what to do with the Artist/category/Album options.  I really don't understand what these will do for me.  I spent some time re-reading the help pages on this subject, but they don't really tell me if I should use and when. 

Q#2  Can your instructions provide a little more insight to the advantages of the category /artist/album options?  My folders are organized by Genre with each CD beneath.

I made a few random selections of the category/albom options to see if I could see their effect on the scan and committed the scan.  The scan proceeded counting up the files processed until I became concerned as it passed file 2000.  The scanner window said "Total Files Found 52".  I finally terminated the scan as it passed files processed 12,208.  This is 50% more than the total of all my music files. After termination i checked my data base and files and could find no error   i rescanned a CD folder in this larger folder and everything proceeded correctly.  Not sure what was going on here.

#2 2008-06-22 20:22:28

ralph

Re: Scanning Error

Re my prior post.   My version number is .652.  I guess I need to update soon.

#3 2008-06-22 20:49:51

ralph

RE My prior post.

I was able to duplicate the "runaway scan".  It happens when I select one previously scanned folder to scan in.  What I want to to accomplish is update the ID3 info in the list database.  I unselect the "Add new files ONLY" since these are not new files but just ones with update information.  Once I  press scan selected directories, the scan runs away.

#4 2008-06-23 05:39:13

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Definitely you should update to v0.655.  The bug you are reporting sounds like one that I thought I fixed in v0.652, but I haven't seen the 'scan-forever' problem in at least a couple releases.

Q1: MusicIP/MusicDNS:
----------
MusicDNS is a fingerprint-based metadata lookup system.

MusicDNS is built on the Open Fingerprint Architecture, which lets anyone in the world identify their music acoustically.  By creating a music fingerprint:

- Find duplicate songs (songs which have the same portable unique identifier will be from the same master recordings).  This will enhance duplicate lookup in MP3-Boss so that it can find the same song recorded at different bitrates.
- Fix your metadata (you can retrieve accurate artist and title metadata and update your tags)
- Connect into a bigger world of data (you can use portable unique identifiers <PUID> to find out more about your tracks from MusicBrainz the biggest community music metadatabase in the world)

Right now, the main use of MusicIP in MP3-Boss is to search the online database when a song doesn't include ANY tag information.  Because MusicIP is slow, by default MP3-Boss by default doesn't lookup the MusicIP for every song.  However, because the MusicIP database keeps getting bigger...soon it will make sense that every song should include the MusicIP scan.  200K - 400K songs are scanned every month using MP3-Boss.  As more songs are fingerprinted, the fingerprinting process gets a faster (since the full acoustic analysis has already been done).

Q2: Artist/Album/Category information is only used when there isn't any tagging information (and MusicIP isn't available to fill in the information) and you have an organized directory structure.  When MP3-Boss was first created, good tags were pretty rare.  Nowadays, many songs include embedded tags ... so Artist/Album/Category information is less useful. 

However, if you really have your songs organized 'perfectly' in a known directory structure, you could turn off tag-reading ... and just fill in the information based on the directory structure.  This usually isn't a good idea, since almost always you'd be losing some using tag information.

For most people, Category/Artist/Album directory structure can be ignored.

#5 2008-06-23 07:25:48

ralph

I just updated to .655.  I attempted scan of existing music folder of 12 files.  First with "add new files only" it reported no new files found.  Correct.

Next I unchecked the "add new files only".  Now the scan runs away.  There are 12 files, I terminated scan after 89 reviewed.

#6 2008-06-23 16:37:27

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Please send me your mp3boss.log.

Did MP3-Boss actually add 89 files to the list?  Or was it ignoring the selection to scan the music folder ... and instead started scanning all your drives?

Can you try it again and send me a screen capture so I can try to duplicate it here?

Thanks,

#7 2008-06-23 19:38:04

ralph

Right.  I will see if I can the files together to send you.  No new files were really added.  It seemed like it was looking at some file (who knows which?) and going on the next.  Even though there were 12 only files to review, it went all the way up to 89. 

Can you duplicate this?  What I'm trying to accomplish is to refresh the data in the db for a set files that have already previously been scanned in.  Not trying to add any new records, just change the ones already there by scanning.

#8 2008-06-23 20:31:53

ralph

I think I got this going correctly.  Looks like if every folder is checked in directory review as "ignore this folder" then the scan runs indefinitely.

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know of other problems

Board footer