MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-06-28 01:48:57

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Compare MP3-Boss to MediaMonkey?

I'm sure some of you have taken a look at MediaMonkey.

I've been asked how it compares to MP3-Boss.

I know that MP3-Boss is able to handle at least 150K files (about a TB of data) ... but don't know how else it compares.  Looking at the website, I'd say probably that MediaMonkey does a better job with graphics and user interface, and MP3-Boss does a better job of down & dirty functions & utilities.

Is that about right?

Feel free to post your reply to the newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.musi … 006?hl=en#

...or just let me know.

I'm ALWAYS trying to make MP3-Boss better, so I really appreciate your comments -- both what you like and what I need to change or add.

THANKS!

#2 2008-06-30 09:54:12

HaraldF

Re: Compare MP3-Boss to MediaMonkey?

I installed mediamonkey and some functions are very nice

for example
Global Hotkeysupport
Nice shortcut to play a song with user rating 1-5.
The field "ignore prefixes when sorting mp3 files" - There is an similar function in mp3-boss too, isnīt it? - The Rolling stones= Rolling Stones, The
The speed of adding new songs is as usual, but I think it is a good idea to lookup for duplicates, when new Songs where added to archive.
But this would only work with a preview function for knowing the better version of the duplicate.
The field "find more from this ... (artist, album) is good.
There is no way to sort files into \first column of artist\artistname - you can collect plus points, if you ad this feature smile
Treeview is good for searching for one specification like year, artist, album or so.
I didnīt find a tool searching for several specifications.
The lookout of MediaMonkey is better than the list view in mp3-boss - not necessary but nice.
No volume and directory manager

Fazit for me:
Both programs have an automatic tag-searching function (cddb, amazon (annoying), music ip) and
for me its quite the same adding metadata to my files in mp3-boss-list-view or in Media-Monkey-list-view.
Plus Mp3 Boss: SUPPORT, a lot of tools for organizing, stable
Plus Mediamonkey: funtools for playlists, lookout. drag&drop

I think I found out a function, which both of this programs donīt have:
Media Monkey has a Songticker, but Iīm not able to customize it, for example to show Artist, Interpret, genre, category, tempo and so on and to use this song ticker with global hotkeys to change the tag- or metadata.

Harald

Last edited by HaraldF (2008-06-30 09:59:16)

#3 2008-06-30 15:41:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Based on your evaluation, what features should I add after Drag & Drop?

#4 2008-07-01 12:36:34

HaraldF

Hello

I donīt know, what the most important feature could be for all users.

I think, a new design would increase the popularity of mp3-boss,

A customizing songticker with global hotkeys would it make easier to add information (tag and metadata) and working on other programs without using the list view. But this is only important for adding information for one title, and not for a couple of titles.

dupelist: 
Playing songs
I always add new songs, then I add informations and after that I know which song is a bad or a good dupe. With playing a song in a dupelist I would hear bad dupes and delete them without adding information.
Mark similar values
For a better overview is it possible to mark similar values in dupeview?

tab view
What do you think about a tabview for filterresults? Is this important?

I am very proud about you add my biggest wish: Drag&Drop

Harald

Board footer