MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » How to move files out of hundreds of directories to only 5 to 10 direc

#1 2008-10-25 17:23:43

mychucky

How to move files out of hundreds of directories to only 5 to 10 direc

Does anyone know the settings to automove cuts to a specific directory.
I would like to move all Artists from A to C to a folder called "A to C" Then "D to F" for example and so on.
Just the Artist and Title.

The drive has about 150 folders and all it needs to be is Alphabetical.

Copying takes toooooo long and to get an accurate list again a complete scan has to be done and that takes 4 hours.

Copying does NOT update my list and once the cuts are deleted off the table I tried to scan for new cuts and the new cuts found instead of the 36 I coppied reported 106 and then errored out with a nasty error message.

I wuld even settle for moveing them to two or three directories, whatever windows can handle there is a total of 20,000 cuts

#2 2008-10-25 17:55:14

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: How to move files out of hundreds of directories to only 5 to 10 direc

Probably the easiest way to do this is to:
1) Sort your List View by Artist (A->Z)
2) Go to the first 'A' artist is the list, and change the directory name to the name of the directory (e.g., c:\A to C\)
3) Now highlight that directory name and highlight the directory name through to the last file that should be moved to the new directory
4) Click the CopyDown button.

...you will be asked if you want to copy that directory name down through all the records.  Click OK and Mp3-Boss will start moving those files (and updating List View at the same time).

If you are moving to the same drive, the move is very fast.  If you are moving to a new drive, the move is much slower (since hundreds of megabytes of files are being copied).  MP3-Boss first copies each file, compares the file to the original, and as long as there is an exact match it then deletes the original and updates the table (so this copy is safer than doing the equivalent copy under Windows).

Let me know if you have any questions.

It would also be possible to do the same thing with AutoMove (selecting destination with Browse), but since you are only selecting 'some' files (artists A to C), the CopyDown method is probably easier in this case.

#3 2008-10-31 13:39:30

HaraldF

Re: How to move files out of hundreds of directories to only 5 to 10 direc

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » How to move files out of hundreds of directories to only 5 to 10 direc

Board footer