MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2009-09-05 06:28:15

Sterke-Jerke

Share the Library on multiple PC's?

Is it possible to share the mp3 library acros multiple PC's (I have my music file an a small NAS)

#2 2009-09-05 07:31:57

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Share the Library on multiple PC's?

The DATA.MDB file (that holds all of the scanned song information) must be in the same location as the MPEG.MDE file (that controls the MP3-Boss program).

This makes it a bit difficult to share the library -- since you'd need to run the application off a common drive.  A second problem is that (unless you always use UNC filenames when scanning), the DATA.MDB file will point to a specific drive letter -- so unless all computers have the same drive mapping, the song location won't be correct.  I assume single-user access to the DATA.MDB file, so you might want to set all but the primary computer to read-only access to the database. If you don't force single-user access, there might be situations where two computers want to lock the same data range (which might mean you wouldn't be able to write some data that you just edited).

If the drive mapping was identical between computers, copying the DATA.MDB to multiple locations would let you access the information from multiple computers (even if each computer had its own copy of MP3-Boss).  The problem with this approach is that any changes to the DATA.MDB on one computer wouldn't be reflected across all computers.

I've not been able to think of an easy way to resolve these problems.  Since I've only been asked about this a few times, I haven't spent the time to try to resolve it.

Question for others:
Has anyone out there done a lot of testing with creating a common program directory accessed across the network by multiple computers?  Any problems?

#3 2014-08-11 07:03:47

jamesbarbara

How to convert the file?

#4 2014-08-11 16:58:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

MDB is the standard Access database format.
You can also simply copy the list (List View) and paste into Excel (although this only captures the information you see in list view).

Board footer