MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2010-01-20 17:15:54

soltwej

Combining Directories??

I'm new to MP3 Boss and can't access any help file. When I click help, nothing happens. I have several computers and external hard drives with large directories of mp3s. I'd like to combine them into one NAS directory without duplicates to free up a vast amount of drive space. Can MP3 Boss move only files that are not contained in the "move to" directory? How can I do it? Oh by the way, GoodSync has deleted about 20K songs for me in the process, and I don't want that to happen again.

Any help is greatly appreciated! It's the nut behind the wheel, I think.

Rgds,

J

#2 2010-01-20 17:50:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Combining Directories??

Once you've scanned all of your files, you should be able to use MP3-Boss to find and list your duplicate files.  You then select the duplicates to delete.  I'd do that first before moving the files to a single directory.  I assume you mean a directory with some structure (and not just 20K files without structure)?

The easiest way to move files (after they've been cleaned of duplicates) is probably to use the AutoMove feature.  That will let you move everything to a new Drive/Directory while keeping (or adding) some subdirectory structure.

If you wanted to simply move everything to one directory (not recommended!), you could simply rename a FilePath at the top, and then use CopyDown to copy that path to as many additional songs as you'd want.  Mp3-Boss does an MD5 checksum to ensure that the copied file is identical to the original file before deleting the original.  The problem with doing things this way is that directory structures with more than a few thousand files in a single directory tend to get pretty slow.

HELP

MP3-Boss help hasn't been updated to include the newest features, although it is still quite useful for most features.

If you are running VISTA, Winhelp isn't included.  See the topic below for a way to fix the problem:
http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … hp?id=1184

You can also access online help:
http://www.mp3-boss.com/help/boss.htm
(although it may not display as nicely as the embedded help).

#3 2010-01-20 18:25:35

soltwej

Thank You - Your time and assistance is appreciated.

I haven't got the help working yet but I'll likely have to reboot to get it. The problem I'm having is that I have many duplicates. Using Vista, I moved one directory to another and had 14K duplicates, moving 20K songs to a directory with 15K. My tracks are Artist - Track Title.MP3 only with no subdirectories. Any Ideas?

Best Regards,

Jeff

#4 2010-01-20 18:38:49

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Once you scan, the Duplicates check will show you a bunch of duplicates.  With the exact duplicates, you can normally just select one column and delete.  If you have thousands of duplicates, you might need to run the duplicate scan a couple of times (since the scan only checks for duplicates and not triplicates or quadruplicates).

Once you move past the exact duplicates, it usually helps to filter the duplicates listing to help identify which of the songs you want to delete.

http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … php?id=238

#5 2011-07-29 19:14:44

sicaey

Can MP3 Boss move only files that are not contained in the "move to" directory? How can I do it? Oh by the way, GoodSync has deleted about 20K songs for me in the process, and I don't want that to happen again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#6 2011-07-30 09:39:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'm not sure I understand.  Exactly what do you want to do, just move all the files to a specific location?

The AutoMove will let you move files either to a specific location, or to a location that depends on the Artist/Album/Category etc.  I've copied some of the AutoMove section of the help below:

This dialog (callable ONLY from List View) lets you automatically rename or move files based on the Artist/Album/Category/Title information (and more!).  The files can be moved, renamed, or moved & renamed at the same time. Click on the AutoMove button in the Toolbar at the top of the List View window to bring up the dialog below.  There are LOTS of configurable options in AutoMove/AutoRename, but the main items can be set from the dialog below.
Click 'All Files' or 'Selected Files' to specify whether all of the files in List View will be moved/renamed, or just the highlighted (selected) files.  Click the "Move ONLY" checkbox if you want on ONLY move files, or the "Rename ONLY" checkbox if you want to ONLY rename files.  If those "ONLY" checkboxes aren't selected, you are able to move & rename the files at the same time.

If you just want to see what will happen (without actually moving/renaming the files), you can click on the 'Make FileList' button to generate a list of all the files that will be moved or renamed.  Click on the 'Show FileList' button to show a previously generated list of the files.  Click the "UNDO" button to undo the previous AutoMove/AutoRename operation. Note that UNDO is based on the same FileList that is shown when you click the "Show FileList" button.  Every time you click the "Make FileList" or "OK" button, the previous FileList is automatically erased (even if the operation is subsequently cancelled) -- which then means that you would no longer be able to UNDO the last full AutoMove/AutoRename.  After generating a list of the files to move, the file move operation is carried out in the background for any files that need to be moved between drives.  Files moved between directories on the same drive are moved 'instantly' as part of AutoMove, and don't need to be scheduled as a background process.   Note that because of this 'instant move' feature, if a song is being played when it needs to be moved (during AutoMove or UNDO), that song is skipped and Winamp plays the next song.

AUTOMOVE
On this dialog, you first specify the base directory in the "Move To:" entry (or click the Browse button to select a directory).  You also specify the "Directory Format" that you want to write.  For instance, if you specified a "Move To:" entry of "F:\MP3_Test" and a "Directory Format" of "Drive\Directory\Aritst\Album" then a song from the Beatles White Album would be written to F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album).  AutoMove will AUTOMATICALLY create any directories that are required.  While the files are being processed, the names of any missing files will be shown on the status bar (lower left corner of the MP3-Boss window).  The total number of files skipped is also displayed on the status bar.

The selection "Move to Drive\Directory, but keep original subdirectories" operates somewhat differently than the other choices.  Instead of using the database information to create new directories based on the Artist/Album/Title/Category information, this selection lets you keep the original directory structure from the source drive.  You should select this choice if you are already happy with your directory structure and simply want to move your files from 1 drive to another.  As an example, if the "Move To:" entry was D:\NEW and you had songs in the F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album directory, then after performing the move, the files would be in the D:\NEW\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album directory.

When the "Move to Drive\Directory, but keep original subdirectories" selection is made, a drop-down combo-box appears that lets you specify how many of the subdirectories on the source drive should be 'skipped' when creating the directory path.  Typically you will select "Skip NONE" but you are able to skip 1 to 5 subdirectories.  The move example just given assumed that "Skip NONE" was selected.  However, if "Skip 1" was selected, the files would end up in the D:\NEW\Beatles\White Album directory.  Additional examples are given in the table below.  In all cases, a "Move To:" entry of D:\NEW is assumed.

Source                Skip    Destination after Move
F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\    NONE    D:\NEW\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\
F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\    1    D:\NEW\Beatles\White Album\
F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\    2    D:\NEW\White Album\
F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\    3    D:\NEW\
F:\MP3_Test\Beatles\White Album\    4    NOT ALLOWED - too few directory levels on source drive
Note that when you specify more subdirectories to skip than actually exist, the file will NOT be moved.  The status bar will indicate the number of files Ignored during processing.  For instance, the status bar may show: "4th Pass - Filling table (10 files skipped, 25 files ignored)."   This means that 10 files couldn't be located (either because they had been deleted or because they were on removable drives), and 25 files were ignored because the source directory did not have enough subdirectory levels.

#7 2011-08-09 01:37:04

artince

I'm new to MP3 Boss and can't access any help file. When I click help, nothing happens. I have several computers and external hard drives with large directories of mp3s.

#8 2011-08-09 17:34:07

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Take a look here -- unfortunately VISTA has eliminated standard support for WinHelp (but you can download the required file).  There is also an online version of help (but it isn't as convenient):

http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … hp?id=1184

Board footer