MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-01-25 11:32:26

tincan

Possible Scan bug and moving directories

ACTIONS
Started 01/24/05

BUGS
-The following occurred after I moved my "My Music" directory from My Documents up to the root C:\. Since you appeared to have reasons for not trying to shorten the filepath name, I decided I would move the default music directory to one with a shorter filename. I first backed up the database on my second hard drive and tried to find a simple way to get MP3B to recognize my change. Nothing in the utilities seemed to do the job except to rescan with an overwrite. (See requests).

I ran a rescan with the overwrite checked and selected three directories that have music (my moved "My Music," one associated with RipCast, and one that has old radio shows). The scan seemed to run ok, but ended with "Error: (91) Object variable or with block variable not set. Occurred in Switchboard/Form_Timer." I tried to select "Utilities" button and received "Unable to switch to the specified window when the main MP3 database is empty." I had the same error message on the other view buttons. So I exited MP3B and restarted it. I was given the initial startup request to scan all drives, which I avoided until I could again select the specific directories and that scan went ok.

QUESTIONS
-Utilties\Missing files. What do I do with the list? I'd like to delete them from the database (while in this window). There is no selection to delete them and right clicking gave no option.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
-Total length of a filtered list. I use MP3B to move files to a folder for easier use of Roxio in making CDs. This would make it easier to estimate play time.
-This is somewhat related to an earlier question on directories. Simply put, why can I not remove directories? I first ran into this on the initial installation of MP3B when I let it run a scan of all directories, thinking that only directories with MP3 and WAV files would be listed. Instead, I had huge list of directories, most of which had no music files. So I removed MP3B (way back then) and reinstalled it, choosing only the music-containing directories. I am back with the same question. It seems that directory review will only allow me to change tags based on directories. Scan will allow me to scan other directories, and I can remove all the files in a directory in the List View, but I can't, apparently, delete a directory. This does not seem to be user intuitive.

#2 2005-01-25 16:27:35

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Possible Scan bug and moving directories

tincan wrote:

...tried to find a simple way to get MP3B to recognize my change. Nothing in the utilities seemed to do the job except to rescan with an overwrite. (See requests).

Instead of moving within Explorer, you could move from within MP3-Boss (either manually in List View or with AutoMove/AutoRename)...that would automatically update the database.  An advantage of doing it in MP3-Boss is that it will automatically CRC check the move before deleting the original (if you move across drives).   If you move the files within Explorer, you would need to change the Filepath in List View for MP3-Boss to recognize the change.  If the file doesn't exist at the original location, MP3-Boss simply updates the path.  As long as there aren't a lot of different paths...this wouldn't be too hard with CopyDown.  However, if there are a lot of different paths, updating the path in this way is tedious.

tincan wrote:

The scan seemed to run ok, but ended with "Error: (91) Object variable or with block variable not set. Occurred in Switchboard/Form_Timer."

Whenever you get an error in scan, please send me the file.  This probably means there is some unusual tag information that I'm not expecting.  Are you using v0.592?  This sounds like the Lyrics bug that was fixed in beta v0.593.

tincan wrote:

I tried to select "Utilities" button and received "Unable to switch to the specified window when the main MP3 database is empty."

Normally the database will auto-refresh every 30-60 seconds...so if you get this message for longer than that, the database really must be empty.

tincan wrote:

QUESTIONS-Utilties\Missing files. What do I do with the list? I'd like to delete them

Good point!  I guess I haven't worried about it because normally that list is short.

tincan wrote:

OTHER SUGGESTIONS-Total length of a filtered list.

The TotalFileSize and TotalTime for the files shown in ListView is in very small type in the upper-left-hand corner of the ListView screen (right next to the "MP3 Boss List View" labels).

tincan wrote:

Why can I not remove directories?

Good point!  I can add a "Delete Directory" button to Directory Review just like the "Delete Volume" button in Volume Review.

tincan wrote:

...thinking that only directories with MP3 and WAV files would be listed...

I don't know why other directories would be listed.  MP3-Boss should only add directories when it finds a song file.  However, if you have ANY files that would match *.MP? or *.WAV (even if they are MP3 or WAV files)...the directory is added to the list.  What version were you using?  I can't remember ever releasing a version that would add every directory...but maybe a very early release?  Maybe you could backup your database and scan all drives...and see if things are working now.

#3 2005-01-28 16:19:23

tincan

Re: Possible Scan bug and moving directories

Re: Moving directories within MP3B rather than Explorer. Very good point and I should have recognized that since I really like MP3B's ability to make new directories on the fly (KUDO). I use the copy down quite a bit and since I have few music paths, that is the way to go.

Re: scan errors. If I get another scan error, I will send the file. I am using 0.593.

Re: Empty database warning. The database was really, really empty.

Re: TotalFileSize & Time. You're right - it's there. Now I am one of those who tends to scan a window and I sometimes miss things, but you learn to do these quick scans because there is so much trash on most web pages. However, I have gone over the List View several times, looking for things I can play with (that is - test) and I missed those two lines every time. Maybe I expected such totals to be near the bottom of the track window, like they were totals of the above columns.

Re: All those other directories. I might have been overwhelmed when I first tried MP3B, but I know there were scads of filepaths when I let MP3B scan everything. There were system directories, but several of those do contain WAV files. Maybe a full system scan should exclude system files?

Board footer