MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-01-14 16:27:40

tincan

Some new issues

ACTIONS
Notes started 7:16 PM 1/12/2005
Added new directory on C:\ and tested finding duplicates.

SYSTEM
-Upgraded from 0.4 something.
-Windows XP, 512Mb, P4 (2.3MHz), many peripherals, one-way satellite internet.

BUGS
- Process Duplicates. A tag error (not an MP3B error) caused four tracks to have the same artist/title. I deleted two of the tracks, but with two tracks remaining, attempting to delete either track returned the message: "(3021) No current record.. Do you want to retry?" The two files remain in the Duplicates first screen (where you select "Find" and "ViewProcess"), and returning to the ViewProcess screen give empty records in all three views. Doing a find dublicates again results in the same two files. The Full and Music CRCs are idential for these two files. Returning to the List View, I find there are four tracks with the same name remaining in the database. Three of these tracks are identical but all four have the same title/artist. I am leaving the two in my database in case you want to see them.

-Artist Fixup interaction with List View changes: Found bad title/artist tags in Artist Fixup and changed to List View to change title to "Deep Purple" and artist to "Unknown." Returned to Artist Fixup and that track artist now showed "#deleted" in the Change From window and "Track 5" in the Change To window. And an attempt to edit the artist gave the following error: Admin_Shortcut "The expression On Dbl Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Type mismatch." Hitting "Detail" showed the two changes made in the List View were correctly recorded, but I could find no way to get around the Artist Fixup problem. After moving to other artists, I hit "Auto-Artist Cleanup" and found the above "#deleted" was corrected. However, I made another correction in the List View (changed an artist from unknown to Skyliner) and Artist Fixup did not reflect the change even after Auto-Artist Cleanup. I could guess that this is a problem with saving the database since it appears that the Artist Fixup is looking at a different record set than the List View.

QUESTIONS
- I can't seem to make the profiles work and now I am not sure I had them working before the upgrade. I must be missing some concept. In the profiles window, there is a note that "Normally, you won't modify the DEFAULT profile." Yet it is modified everytime I move or resize a column. Ok, my changing some things and having Default automatically save them makes sense but the statement is misleading. I guess that one cannot do is remove or edit the name Default. I've added and deleted profile names and set up the profiles with different column
orders. I've used the Update Profile to make two different profiles. I exited the Profile window with Apply and then ok, or with just ok. In either case, when I then select the other profile, it is the same as the first profile. My changes seem to be applied to both profiles (and now this morning, to three profiles). Also, the long bar on the left hand side requires I hit the delete key to delete a profile - this is
quite confusing since I would think a very long bar would do more than just turn black and sit there waiting for some other input without telling me what to do (and not in the help file). Also, an attempt to delete a profile by deleting or cutting the name produces "The expression After Update you entered as the event property setting  produced the following error: *The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]    *There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro."

- My understanding of what Profiles should do may be wrong. I am not so much interested in backgrounds and skinning since they only clutter the screen - others do seem to like the clutter, but even with WinAmp I choose skins from those that are readable. I am interested in seeing a set of columns that are useful for the task at hand. If I want to select some tracks for burning, I need to see my "hold until processed folder," title, artist, filepath, select, user_category, and album. 
If I want to review and sort tracks I would need filepath, title, artist, album, rating,and bit rate. I should be able to select either of these profiles. Does that make sense?

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
- Show Profile-in-use name somewhere on the List View. Or better yet, offer a profile selector which shows the profiles available for selection (in the List View).Because the number fields is so large, the only way I can make use of all those fields and still see the fields important to my task at hand is through the profiles. The current 2-step selection of profiles is ungainly.
- It would also be helpful is column widths were saved with the profiles.
-Button bar items should also be in Menu Bar, specifically Profile and AutoMove in List View.
-Configuration name needs to be consistent. "MP3Boss Configuration" in  Scanner and Utilities; "Configuration" in other views.
-Move "Change" button in Artist Fixup up close to the "Change To:" box.

REQUESTS
- Minor gripe - wheel scroll for list view.
- Track delete option in Artist Fixup would be nice. I've found several tracks that have tag errors are also just plain bad tracks.

KUDOS
-I don't remember the two views available in Duplicates before my upgrade, but I like the choice. The DataSheet/2-file was slightly easier to use, but the DataSheet/1-File allowed me to play part of the tracks. A note: the files were from RipCast and one station seemed to be having a problem. One track was repeated in MP3B but that was because the tag data, as ripped, were incorrect. Another track was repeated 4 times, two of which had the tag errors, but I can't explain the other two. First time that's happened.
-Artist Fixup: very well thought out.

#2 2005-01-14 20:43:56

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Some new issues

- Process Duplicates. A tag error

Does this problem still exist after exiting/restarting MP3-Boss?  If not, could you send me a ZIP copy of your DATA.MDB file?

-Artist Fixup interaction with List View changes

Use "Records/Refresh" from the List View menu to make sure that the updates from Artist Fixup are shown in List View.

Profiles

I'm going to have to take a longer look at this. You have a really good idea about having a profile combo-box in List View.  You are correct about Profiles -- not only colors/fonts/backgrounds, but also sort-order, column order, and which columns...are saved/restored.

Wheel-scroll

This is a common complaint, usually with a 'real' Microsoft Mouse.  It is dependent on the mouse driver.  Intellipoint 4.12 (I have a link) and earlier will give you a scrollable list view with a real Microsoft mouse...later versions disabled support.  If you don't have a Microsoft Mouse, make sure you are using the newest driver.

Other/Requests

I'll review all of this as I make my list of new features...and also review it for items to include in help (like Record/Refresh comment for Artist Fixup...I THOUGHT that was already there in help, but it isn't!)

Thanks!

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#3 2005-01-19 15:39:35

tincan

The error problem disappears on a restart of MP3B.

Wheel-scroll
I had to give up on Intellipoint some time ago. The software conflicts with my Direcway satellite software - and MS admits it but has done nothing about it. I've tried to figure out how it could conflict but it doesn't make sense - it just does. I really miss setting the wheel button to maximize windows. I have an MS mouse with the latest PS2 driver, but not Intellipoint.

I'm sort of stuck on the Profiles issue. Any ideas on why I can't seem to create different profiles? Must be me. If I can get that working, then I'll move on to some other test.
Bob

#4 2005-01-19 18:20:49

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The error problem disappears on a restart of MP3B.

This means that somehow the underlying data wasn't refreshed.  Did this start after trying to delete the group of duplicates?

Wheel-scroll
I had to give up on Intellipoint some time ago. The software conflicts with my Direcway satellite software - and MS admits it but has done nothing about it. I've tried to figure out how it could conflict but it doesn't make sense - it just does. I really miss setting the wheel button to maximize windows. I have an MS mouse with the latest PS2 driver, but not Intellipoint.

Did you install the Intellipoint software specifically for MP3-Boss, or had you installed it earlier?  I'm not sure there is anything else I can do to provide support.

Have you tried Freewheel:
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/ … wheel.html

I'm sort of stuck on the Profiles issue. Any ideas on why I can't seem to create different profiles? Must be me. If I can get that working, then I'll move on to some other test.
Bob

I'm going to need to do additional profiles testing...it has been quite a long time since I've looked at them, and it is possible that some of the underlying database changes caused problems.

#5 2005-01-22 08:40:17

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Profiles:
You are right...looks like I broke something, probably by adding new fields to the List View.  It looks like a simple fix -- the first time a new profile is created, usually the column order won't be saved.  It looks like if you create it a couple of times, the order is saved.  The problem is fixed in the next beta (v.594).
John

#6 2005-01-24 06:02:08

tincan

>- Process Duplicates. A tag error
>The error problem disappears on a restart of MP3B.
>This means that somehow the underlying data wasn't refreshed.  Did >this start after trying to delete the group of duplicates?
That was the first time I had seen the error. I had processed duplicates perhaps only twice prior to this and saw no error or odd behavior. I do not remember if those times were before or after installing the newer version.

>Wheel-scroll
I wouldn't try to fix my problem since it seems to be unique to me. My wheel-scroll problem goes back at least 3 years. It occurs to me that the last version of Intellipoint I tried was 4.12 but I should check on that and a newer version might help. Also, Hughes forced a new version of DirecWay on me and that could also possibly have fixed the problem. The Freewheel looks interesting also.

>Profiles
I tried the Profiles again last night with no success. I printed out the Help file on profiles and re-read it with underlining - my old paper skills are sometimes handy when I need to make sure I've read everything. Here's my sequence: 1-Create two or more profiles (including the default). 2-Move one column in Profile 2 and update Profile 2, then exit with Apply and ok. 3-Switch to Default and see if the moved column moves back. 4-If no change, repeat step 2 with an exit of ok only. Since steps 1-3 always change both Default and Profile 2, I go to step 4-Open Default profile and move one column, then exit with OK (no update or Apply). 5-Open Profile 2 and see if moved column moves back to position given when Profile 2 was last updated. Again, additional steps didn't help. I also tried creating a Profile 3 but any changes I make to column order is reflected in all three profiles, regardless of whether I select Update, or Apply before OK.

My reading of the Help file on this says that the Default is automatically updated. At first this made sense, but with my Profile problems, I now read that as saying that whatever changes I make to Profile 2 or 3, will automatically be applied to the Default also. I am sure that was not the intended meaning but it seems to be what is happening to me. But it does not explain why I get no differences between Profiles 2 and 3.

#7 2005-01-24 14:11:30

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

tincan wrote:

>Wheel-scroll...the last version of Intellipoint I tried was 4.12 but I should check on that and a newer version might help...

Amazingly, Microsoft removed Access97 support from versions of Intellipoint after 4.12...so I don't think a newer version will help.  However, I think Freewheel will probably fix your problem.

tincan wrote:

>Profiles...I tried the Profiles again last night with no success.

I would give up on your testing of Profiles until the next beta.  You are correct that the default is automatically updated...but the individual profiles should only be updated when you click 'Update'.  The problem is that the first creation of the profile doesn't store the column order...and after that it gets confusing.  I've fixed this initialization problem in the v0.594 beta, and hope to get that out soon (after fixing a few more things).

#8 2005-01-28 15:51:32

tincan

Re: Freewheel. The site says I need Intellipoint installed and that Freewheel is an enhancement to Intellipoint. Given that, I don't think it would help me.

I'm glad the Profiles is a problem. After not seeing the forest for the trees on MP3B not reading audio CDs (I should have known that), I was beginning to wonder if I was hallucinating. Thanks.

#9 2005-01-28 19:38:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

tincan wrote:

Re: Freewheel. The site says I need Intellipoint installed and that Freewheel is an enhancement to Intellipoint. Given that, I don't think it would help me.

I use Freewheel under WinXP with a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical,  without Intellipoint, and it fixes the scrolling problem for me.  I'd give it a try and see if it helps.

Board footer