MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-02-04 06:42:55

tincan

More List View Issues

ACTIONS
Started 01/25/05, but some other things got in the way. Finished playing with all I can think of in the List View. Will start on other views in a couple days.

SYSTEM
-Upgraded from 0.4 something.
-Windows XP, 512Mb, P4 (2.3MHz), many peripherals, one-way satellite internet.

BUGS
-When I have a track selected (highlighted) in the List View and then click on the "Select" column, it takes two or three clicks to place a checkmark there. I couldn't detect the reason for sometimes two and sometimes three clicks. I can understand two clicks with one click required to "wake up" the list window and another to actually make the click, but three seems excessive.

-Unable to check Select box in one, non-repeatable instance. I tried to repeat this problem but couldn't, yet it did happen once. The sequence: Opened MP3B (it opened non-maximized even though I have the properties set to open max - it's done this before but not always). Played part of one track, then selected "X" in Select for that track. Selected another track and played that track. While the track was playing, I attempted to check the Select field and the track was still highlighted. Not only could I not put and "X" in Select, the entire list of tracks window was not responding. I clicked outside that window, somewhere near the menu bar or title banner and then was able
to make changes within the track listings. I went back through this sequence and couldn't repeat the problem. I should also say that I have WinAmp always on top with the D-Reliction skin. It's about the size of your player stub and I can position it over that. It gives me access to the track position indicator.

-StartPlay/EndPlay: I don't find the small CAP button on the details window as explained in the Help file. Also, I don't understand the help file explanation of StartPlay. "Set the StartPlay time (the time to jump to before beginning to play a song)" indicates a jump to a specific time, but I think it must mean a delay or gap time. Yet, if it refers to a gap between tracks, why would one want to set both a
start and end time? I'd be glad to take a cut at re-writing that help file section once I understand what it all means.

-Tag Editor Help file description: Great explanation but needs to be updated for the two new filters 'hide CDROM' and 'Hide ALL Removeable.'

OTHER SUGGESTIONS
-Track title inside the player stub window would be nice but not essential.

REQUESTS
-One more line in the Filter stub for filtering by directory. The "Filter for" line works but the additional option would be nice.

KUDOS
-I love the ease of use in Artist Fixup. I also like the fact that the record pointer stays in the same place when I switch to List view and back to Fixup.

-I had a request for SELECT=True/False until I just now discovered the "Show Select Filters." Neat feature and even better than my sort on the Select column.

- I have several nitpicky problems with MP3B, but overall I am still impressed by the overall logic that went in to the design and by the general stability of the program - not a bad feature for database programs.

#2 2005-02-04 15:24:40

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: More List View Issues

tincan wrote:

-When I have a track selected (highlighted) in the List View and then click on the "Select" column, it takes two or three clicks to place a checkmark there  and unable to check Select box in one, non-repeatable instance.

I'm not able to duplicate this problem -- it selects in one click as long as I click close to the box.  Is the Select column position moved or width changed?  Any unusual sorting?

MP3B opened non-maximized even though I have the properties set to open max - it's done this before but not always).

You'd be surprised how difficult it is to do this consistently.  If I can figure out the cause, I'll fix it.  The big problem is that you really can't debug the problem since having the code window up means you can't see things the way they are without that window.

-StartPlay/EndPlay: I don't find the small CAP button on the details window as explained in the Help file.

The [CAP] button only appears when you are playing THAT song (click the Play button on the top line of detail to see [CAP]).

StartPlay time indicates a jump to a specific time

Let's say that you have some live music where the artist talks for 30s before playing the song, and then the audience applauds for 20s at the end of the song.  Startplay would skip the first 30s of the song, and Endplay would skip to the next song when it was 20s from the end.  This WOULD be a really cool feature if only MP3B would control songs in the playlist.  Until it controls all the songs though, it is only useful when you are clicking a single song to play. My 450MHz PIII development computer has trouble with song latency, so I haven't been able to write a clean playlist controller yet.  Of course...how many people are still using 450MHz PIII computers???

-Tag Editor Help file description: Great explanation but needs to be updated for the two new filters 'hide CDROM' and 'Hide ALL Removeable.'

I really should update help for all the new features in this beta.  I'll add it to the list.

-Track title inside the player stub window would be nice but not essential.

Is this in addition to the track title at the bottom left of the screen?  Also, the MP3B caption changes to the song title.  Adding it to the player stub means I'd have to scroll...and that tends to flash the screen.

-One more line in the Filter stub for filtering by directory.

The problem has been that I'm out of room on an 800x600 screen unless I make the List View even shorter.  The nice thing about "Filter For" is that it can find the information even if it isn't in the directory (you'd be surprised how often directory names aren't quite right!).

Great to hear that MP3B is still stable!

Board footer