MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2008-08-10 14:39:34

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

UseNet files...

Newsguy now has unlimited usenet access accounts for $19.95 a month (includes website storage + email).  Or, 50GB/month costs about $9.95/month.  Usenet is a great way to quickly build up your mp3 collection.  Newsguy makes it easy...just search the alt.binaries.mp3 and alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.????  newsgroups.

http://www.mp3-boss.com/newsguy_freetrial.gif

In addition, you can get a 2-day free trial (20MB) or a 3-day spot signup (3GB).  A great way to see what is available.  Newsguy gives you direct web access to the newsgroups (making it easy to download the complete mp3 as a single file), so you don't need to install a newsreader.  Or, if you prefer, use a newsreader like Agent to manage the downloads.  You'll find all sorts of files, from original old-time radio broadcasts to live bootlegs of new groups.

I've been a fan of newsgroups for awhile, and use Agent -- coupled with PAR Buddy to automatically check and move files.  You'll also want QuickPAR to verify/reconstruct the files.

I also have used PAR&RAR to auto-check and move PAR and RAR files.

Let me know if you have any questions!

#2 2010-04-17 10:44:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: UseNet files...

MP3-Boss now directly supports quite a bit of PAR file cleanup in the Utilities/MISC tab -- it can look in the directory where you store PAR files, and automatically cleanup those files (or wait until they are complete).

You can see a bit of information about PAR Cleanup at:
http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … php?id=764

http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … php?id=696
PAR/PAR2 cleanup to help with file cleanup after Usenet downloads.  Much like PAR Buddy (or PAR & RAR), but supports PAR/PAR2 files (even if misnamed), Unicode filenames, and auto-moving the recovered files into a new location with Artist/Album directory structure (or Unknown/UnknownZZ, where ZZ auto-increments, if the Artist/Album can't be determined).  Automatically moves all of the files listed in the PAR/PAR2 into the new directory, along with the PAR/PAR2 file for later validation (while deleting the Name.VOL*.PAR2 files after files have been recovered/verified).  Searches any number of specified directories for 'lost' files, and will auto-delete exact duplicates.  Requires QuickPAR for automatic recovery of corrupted files.

It can do a better job of Usenet cleanup than anything out there.  Because it uses Access tables to store all of the MD5 information, it can locate exact duplicates very quickly even if there are tens-of-thousands of files to cleanup.

In addition to MP3-Boss and QuickPAR (free), you may want:
WINRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/ ($29 for full registration)
You'll use WINRAR to unRAR any files with a .RAR extension.  Normally, I'll just right-click the .RAR and select "Extract to RAR_Filename\".  You can also highlight the first .RAR of any collection you've brought up in QuickPAR and do the same thing ... quite convenient.  WinRAR will also unZIP files.

MasterSpliter: http://www.tomasoft.com/ ($10 for full registration)
This is needed if you have files that you need to JOIN before you can unarchive.  Usually they will have a filename like Filename.RAR.001 or Filename.ZIP.001 ... just browse for the .001 file and then JOIN to create the .RAR or .ZIP ... and then use WinRAR to unRAR/unZIP that file.

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have more questions.

#3 2012-03-02 18:26:05

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Anybody out there tried PAR cleanup?

I took another look, and found two/three bugs:
1) If there are more than 2048 files in a PAR2, you'll get an overflow that will stop the cleanup
2) If there are (empty?) subdirectories in the directory to be cleaned, you may get a PARCleanup(0) error that needs to be ignored.
3) You may have to run the cleanup a few times to move all files.  Not sure I should consider this a bug or a feature.  Determining matches among thousands of files is quite time-consuming, particularly when there may be multi-matches or naming conflicts within different sets.  Probably best to leave this as is, with the suggestion that you should run it again if there are more than a few dozne files remaining in the incoming directory.

PAR Cleanup is an amazing utility if you are doing mp3 usenet downloads, since it verifies/unpacks/moves based on the PAR2 files -- so it auto-moves the mp3 files into folders based on the original packages.  This can save you countless hours...

Let me know if you are using PAR cleanup.  I haven't had any feedback, so don't know if anyone out there needs these 2 fixes (which are only important for really big downloads).

#4 2012-03-06 06:58:41

Discover Health

Requires QuickPAR for automatic recovery of corrupted files.

Board footer