Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager
You are not logged in.
v0.683 -- Made Official release MAY 16, 2010:
Fixed a minor problem with scanning a file that included full date in the filename (but didn't include Track Number). The date was interpreted as Track Number ... and was too long ("field too small" error). Added code to verify that track number found in filename was <999.
Fixed PARScan -- using new ShellBrowser ActiveX deactivated the file selection areas. Improved handling of filenames with characters not supported by Windows.
UnZip would crash if the file was longer than 2GB. Perform a filesize before attempt to unzip (and log the file if >2GB).
Improved error detection & logging -- detects if MP3-Boss has found an uncorrectable error and allows exit after logging file. If such errors are seen, please send me your log (and the file that caused the problem).
Please let me know if you find any problems. I plan to make this the official release TOMMORROW if no problems are detected.
I'm working on upgrading the engine to Access2010.
I'll definitely be able to add alternate-row color (helps quite a bit!) and column-by-column filtering (not sure what will happen when over 1000 records shown).
I actually have MP3-Boss running under the new environment, but need to cleanup scanning and make sure the linked libraries are all correct.
...My guess is that I'll be asking for alpha testing in about a month.
Some more information (and a link to a screen capture):
http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … hp?id=2042
I've mainly completed the migration to Access2010, but there are a few problems:
1) Main screen blinks when the song timer is updated. This problem was originally seen with the Access97 engine, but I was able to resolve it by changing to a graphics timer (instead of text). It looks like I might need to change back to text.
2) The detail view flickers when you change songs. The "Limit to ListView" mode especially, and it looks like that mode doesn't always work correctly.
3) The List View drag&drop song name truncates the selected filename (with trailing dots). I saw this with the Access97 engine, but found a workaround (that no longer works!).
4) Using the standard Microsoft MSI installer doesn't work well if you have other versions of Access (or even if you have other runtime versions).
It looks like some of these problems won't be easy to resolve -- I might need to wait for the first service pack...
Upgrading to the new Office 2010 has been more difficult than expected -- so should I start again? Should I concentrate on how to get web applications like Spotify to play with MP3-Boss? Or something else?
MP3-Boss does "safe" file management much better than anything I've found out there -- maybe I should concentrate on that part of the program? Or is there another area that I should concentrate on?
For next upgrade, I've thought about the following:
1) Simply upgrade "as is" to Office 2010, probably having to remove some features like Drag & Drop (because underlying libraries are perhaps the cause of the instability).
2) Start again ... and hope that Office 2010 provides some of the missing functionality (I still don't think Office has native drag & drop!).
3) Complete rewrite -- for instance, with SQL Server Compact mode.