MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2010-06-18 22:11:34

ralph

Wrong Artist on Scan

Today i scanned a new folder in and realized that the artist that populated the DB is not the same as what I had in the tag field.  I assumed that MusicIP was the offender.  Not knowing what to do, I just unchecked all fields in MusicIP.  Then rescanned and everything came in okay.   

Is that the right way to turn all that off?  I'm not sure what the benefit of MusicIP is, but I sure don't want it to be messing up my database.

#2 2010-06-19 00:45:22

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Wrong Artist on Scan

Can you send me one of the songs?

I'm really surprised that MusicIP would be the problem, since the default scan setting is that MusicIP is called only if the tags are missing.

Had you selected 'Enable lookup for ALL files' instead of the default 'Enable lookup if Artist missing'?

#3 2010-06-21 20:21:51

ralph

mccaffjt wrote:

Can you send me one of the songs?

I'm really surprised that MusicIP would be the problem, since the default scan setting is that MusicIP is called only if the tags are missing.

Had you selected 'Enable lookup for ALL files' instead of the default 'Enable lookup if Artist missing'?

Since I deselected all the options in MusicIP, I now can't remember which ones were selected.  I guess what should be selected is "enable if artist missing".  I'll send you one of the tracks so you can see what there is on the MusicIP database. 

I tried a net search to find out something about what MusicIP is and couldn't find much.  How is the database built?  Since I've been frustrated in the past with scanning imperfect MP3 files, I've resorted to "pre-processing" mp3 files.  I've tried several programs; Tag and Rename is one that I use most to get data from the Amazon database to complete the mp3 tags.  Amazon seems to have over a 95% accuracy.

#4 2010-06-22 04:41:14

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

MusicIP went completely commercial, and so it no longer shows any information about how it works ... but in my testing it seems like usually it is still available to fill in the tag information.

I've found that it works pretty good -- and the big advantage it has is that it calculates an ID from the music content -- so even if the song is incorrectly named and there is no tag information, it can locate the correct information.

With Amazon, I believe you need to know quite a bit about the song to get additional information.  Is that correct?

#5 2010-06-22 20:09:23

ralph

I guess that is true about having to know something about the song.  Actually, Amazon I think only works at the Album level.  You Artist & Album title is the entry point.  And yes if you have a bad sort of the tracks then everything can get confused.  I'll send you an email with an image of what the screen looks like when I update the tags.

Board footer