MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » What is MP3 boss actually doing during the scanning process?

#1 2010-07-03 12:01:04

tunesmanca

What is MP3 boss actually doing during the scanning process?

I have started off with a blank data file and am trying to scan in my first CD of 167 files.

MP3 boss indicates that it has found the 167 files. It presumably has brought in the information extracted from the files' MP3 tags. I get that. A status bar at the bottom of the screen keeps indicating that it is processing files. The number of files keeps on increasing, actually far exceeding the physical number of files I have.  What else is it doing that the number of processed files keeps on increasing? I stopped the scan after ten minutes once it reached 1000 files. Upon doing that there was no information whatsoever entered into the database.

I made one more attempt and left things running. In the time I've taken to write this there are now some 16,000 files showing in that status bar at the bottom of the screen. It has now run for over twenty minutes.

Do I presume correctly that this is the music IP function? I did think I had turned that off in configuration. I do like the idea of that function but am concerned about how long that likely will take.

This is taking far longer to scan in files than the earlier versions of the program did. How long should the scanning of one disk take? I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of waiting an inordinate amount of time for one CD to scan in. I do have some 400 discs altogether to go through.

If I can understand just how this is designed to behave I may be able to work around things. I either need to add other disks to the 400 I have or start over from scratch. At this point either option looks prohibitive timewise. How do I get MP3 Boss to just scan a disk straight in without engaging in all the other gymnastics? Like the earlier versions did?

As always, thank you ever so much for your time and consideration. You build so much great functionality into the program that sometimes it takes a while to figure out. Cheers.

#2 2010-07-03 12:45:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: What is MP3 boss actually doing during the scanning process?

Did you select "Scan Selected Directories" (with only the CD drive selected), or did you select "Scan ALL drives"?

If you selected "Scan ALL drives" then Mp3-Boss will scan all hard drives in addition.

Is it possible that there are a lot of non-mp3 files on that CD?

It has been awhile since I've tested CD-only scanning ... I'll take a look and see if it works OK here.

#3 2010-07-03 12:56:11

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Just completed a scan of an mp3 CD with 200 files -- it required 8-9 minutes to complete.

Do you have an MP3BOSS.LOG file?  Any unusual filenames (like "...this is the name.mp3"?)

It could be a specific filename is the problem.

#4 2010-07-03 19:23:27

tunesmanca

I definitely had only the CD drive selected.

The MP3Boss.log file doesn't flag any unusual file names. It was finding a number of file errors when I was allowing it to fully run, though. I don't quite understand why it was finding errors; the names all looked perfectly fine to my eyes.

The thing I am wondering about, John, is just what is the program doing when it continues to process so many hundreds of files over and above what you scanned. I asked it to scan 167 files and it did. So what else is it trying to do once it has done that? I last stopped the "scan" when it showed it was processing upward of 6000 files.

The CD in question has a grand total of 177 files. Other than the music files, there are a few images and text files.

Thanks a lot for responding so quickly.

#5 2010-07-04 00:37:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Can you send me the MP3BOSS.LOG file, and also a screen-capture of the scanning page when it shows it is processing too many files?

I'm sure we can track this down.  You might want to scan another CD to confirm that it is a problem only with this particular CD.

#6 2010-07-04 12:38:21

tunesmanca

I may actually have found a few answers, John.

I was having issues with Windows being unable to find the DVD drive (error 41) on my main machine. I thus tried scanning the particular CD on a shared CD drive on another machine in my network.

I am guessing that the program got confused by the way the data arrived over the network. Trying to scan it over the network, every single file flagged as "error".

Once I got the CD running on the main machine again, I tried scanning that same CD locally. It did not specifically flag any of the particular files as "error" in that scenario, although I did get a dandy "(53) File Not Found MP3Boss H:\Edited~3" error. I have actually run into this same error with several of the CD's I've tried to scan (it gives that very same directory name in the error message every time even though each CD has a different name for that directory).

Many of these CD's were originally burned around 1999; MP3 Boss just appears to not like certain ones. The very best time I've realized for scanning a CD so far has been 12 minutes (I can live with that). Others have taken upwards of 45 minutes.

I've found that if MP3 Boss likes a particular disk, it will calculate the CRC within about a minute. If it takes longer than that I abort the scan. This is making for an average of between 12 and 15 minutes to scan a disk.

With a few of the disks MP3 Boss appeared to have "liked" the scanner would actually be flagged to shut down with five or six files left (the same error 53). In that instance I find there is no way to get those remaining few files to scan again. I do have a few disks entered a few files short. When this happens MP3 Boss has sometimes written the information to the database, sometimes not. I never know until I actually open the main database window to check. Quite frustrating.

My CD's do appear to be the main culprit here. In an ideal world it would be nice if MP3 Boss wouldn't quite be so "picky". All of the offenders might be a bit slow to access but do ultimately play the files fine.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to work around some of this? There is some pretty rare music on these disks.

Thank you ever so much.

#7 2010-07-04 16:33:28

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I think this is a result of .ZIP scanning -- I forgot to exclude .ZIP when scanning a read-only drive.  Unzipping (to the same drive) can never work, and that causes the problem (I think).

Exclude .ZIP as a file extension to scan and see if that fixes the problem.  Once you confirm that .ZIP is a problem, it should be easy to fix.

#8 2012-03-14 06:17:52

Peter Perepel

he thing I am wondering about, John, is just what is the program doing when it continues to process so many hundreds of files over and above what you scanned. I asked it to scan 167 files and it did. So what else is it trying to do once it has done that? I last stopped the "scan" when it showed it was processing upward of 6000 files.

#9 2012-03-14 16:52:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If you asked it to process only a small set of files (by limiting the directories to scan), it should only scan those files.

Is it possible that you selected a number of different extensions (e.g., mp3, wma, aac, shn...) -- and you saw the 167 mp3 files, but didn't realize there were 6000 wma files in addition?

Normally, mp3-boss first scans all the directories you've specified (first pass scan), then matches those to files that have already been scanned (so you'll see the number of files to scan decrease).  Once it does that, then it begins actually scanning the files.

The scans can take a long time if the files are on slow or network drives, since the entire file has to be processed to create an MD5 checksum (if you've specified that it create a checksum).

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » What is MP3 boss actually doing during the scanning process?

Board footer