MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-03-02 02:09:18

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

ID3v2.x tag support

Do I need to make sure I never overwrite existing ID3v2 information when updating the ID3v2 tag? 

Let's say I support 30 different ID3v2 fields...is it enough that I never lose any of that information, but might overwrite custom fields? 

What does Winamp do?  What do the other ID3v2 tag editors do?  The ID3v2 tag format is so complicated that it seems very difficult to ensure that you never overwrite unknown tag fields.

#2 2005-03-02 16:11:13

bbrodka

Re: ID3v2.x tag support

Don't know much about the programing side, but in many casses custom feilds are pretty imortand, and may of involved many hours to cunstruct, in my case I use Music magic mixer to generate mixes based on song fingerprints (stored in custom feilds) http://music.predixis.com/  Fingerprinting songs take alot of time

One Idea I could think of is to let us define custom fields in MP3Boss that we want to preserve, and not want overwritten

don't want to post competitor links in yor fourm, but there are several taggers that can hand custom feilds, so it must be posible

#3 2005-03-03 04:28:16

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

bbrodka wrote:

Don't know much about the programing side, but in many casses custom feilds are pretty imortand, and may of involved many hours to cunstruct, in my case I use Music magic mixer to generate mixes based on song fingerprints (stored in custom feilds) http://music.predixis.com/  Fingerprinting songs take alot of time

One Idea I could think of is to let us define custom fields in MP3Boss that we want to preserve, and not want overwritten

don't want to post competitor links in yor fourm, but there are several taggers that can hand custom feilds, so it must be posible

You'd be surprised how inconsistent ID3v2.x tags are -- even reading all the tags is a problem because the tagging programs interpret the spec differently (and sometimes there are simply major errors).  Could you send me a link for a tagger that does things 'correctly'?

Also...you should be asking me to add important custom fields to the detail view.  Could you give me a list?  Also, it would be great if you could send me a song or two with those fields so I can take a look.

#4 2005-03-05 17:20:08

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Rob wrote:

When my mp3 file have a ID3v2 tag but not a ID3v1 tag, Mp3boss wil not put the name of the artist from the ID3v2 tag in the table artist but write the name of the directory in the table artist. I use the default setting when I scan my mp3 files
I send you a file via private mail.

Keep on doing great work!
Rob

Fixed v0.597

Board footer