MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » Difference between user_category and user_category1

#1 2005-03-13 22:04:29

broclain

Difference between user_category and user_category1

I have my own list of categories and never use the genre list.

When MP3Boss scanned my collection for the first time (tagged with iTunes in IdV3 format), my categories were unhappily not imported into the user_category field. I found them though in the IdV2 table within the data.mdb file. I then designed a query in a new Access database with the data.mdb tables attached, in order to update manually this precious information. Is there an other way?

My second question is about user_category1 : what is it aimed for? A priori, it looks like a duplicate of user_category, but I guess it is not....

Dominique

#2 2005-03-14 04:16:25

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Difference between user_category and user_category1

broclain wrote:

I have my own list of categories and never use the genre list.

The genre list is the only 'standard' list, and is the only list supported by ID3v1 tags.  It is unfortunate that the list is missing so many common categories.

... my categories were unhappily not imported into the user_category field. I found them though in the IdV2 table within the data.mdb file.

What field were they in?  By default, ID3v2 information over-rides ID3v1 information...so I'm surprised the ID3v2 tag category information wasn't used.  Could you send me a couple of mp3 files that show this problem?

My second question is about user_category1 : what is it aimed for?

MP3-Boss lets you identify 3 categories for every song: genre (fixed list), category (genre list + your own categories), and category1 (your own categories).  In the latest beta versions, you can create a short category1 list to make it very easy to select the categories you actually use (drop-down right next to the mp3 player in List View).

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » Difference between user_category and user_category1

Board footer