MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-04-27 15:21:26

rythemton

Newer Access

I know you use MS Access 97 runtime because it's smaller then the new runtimes, but can you use the newer MS Access runtimes with MP3 Boss, or will it cause strange errors? If it can work, what needs to be changed to use the newer version?

Also, if it does work fine, can future versions of MP3 Boss have a smaller version available to those who already have MS Access?

#2 2005-04-27 18:05:20

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Newer Access

rythemton wrote:

I know you use MS Access 97 runtime because it's smaller than the new runtimes, but can you use the newer MS Access runtimes with MP3 Boss, or will it cause strange errors? If it can work, what needs to be changed to use the newer version?

Also, if it does work fine, can future versions of MP3 Boss have a smaller version available to those who already have MS Access?

It is possible for me to create an Access2000 runtime (since I own that developer kit)...but it requires a separate compile/review cycle and is a bit of a pain to do.  I've only had a couple people ask for the file...and because of the trouble in creating it, I stopped updating that runtime.  It is a bit worse for me now, since I haven't even installed Access2000 ... my company uses Office2003.  I'm not sure if I could simply compile it under Access2003...but my guess is that it would take some changes to the code (A2K is code compatible).  Other than the initial Access97 runtime installation (12MB), MP3-Boss is really quite small (only 3MB updates...tiny nowadays! LOL). 

The only real reason to create an MDE under a different version of Access is so you don't have to worry about the database format (i.e., it can be read/write directly from A2K).  However, I'm not sure which Access database formats are compatible...probably I'd have to create A2K, A2003, and AccessXP versions to make everyone happy...

I keep waiting for Microsoft to realize that the newer versions of Access prohibit easy application distribution...but it seems that it is a LONG wait! LOL

Board footer