MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-05-05 16:49:02

paulmccowan

Scanning Options

Since the latest version 602 is out and seems real good, how about an over view of what each scaaning option in the configuration does, and how it works.

#2 2005-05-06 04:17:50

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Scanning Options

paulmccowan wrote:

Since the latest version 602 is out and seems real good, how about an over view of what each scaaning option in the configuration does, and how it works.

Do you mean the "Scanning" tab of configuration?  All of those have to do with how to handle CD-RW or DVD-RW disks before they've been closed.  Once the CD has been finalized (or if it is a CD-R), those settings shouldn't matter.

The problem with CD-RW and DVD-RW disks is that most CD/DVD burning software changes the identifiers on the disk each time it is burned.  Windows updates the serial number automatically -- so I can't rely on that number to identify/update a list of files from the last time it was scanned.

In many cases though, you can manually control the Volume_Label -- so as long as you are careful to set the same volume_label when you add files to the disk...MP3-Boss will then assume that the same volume_label MIGHT mean it is the same disk.

MP3-Boss always tries to fingerprint writeable CD/DVD disks based on the files on the disk, and if it thinks that the disk is just an update, it simply updates the list of files on that disk.

The second set of parameters ("Treat writeable CD/DVD like a closed disk if free space is less than XX") simply tells MP3-Boss when it shouldn't care if a disk is finalized.  Since typically it takes 25MB of header information every time you write to a CD...that is a good estimate for a CD. 

The "Auto-Update CD" just tells MP3-Boss how to handle the disk if it determines that probably it is a CD/DVD that is already in the database.  It either treats it like a new disk, updates the serial number for all the files already on the disk, or updates serial number & volume label.

I haven't had a lot of beta feedback on this section of MP3-Boss.  Re-scanning a writeable disk causes big headaches because the serial number changes...so I'm trying to do the best I can in identifying/updating the information instead of treating it like new information. 

The reason I added this section is because some people treat CD/DVD disks a lot like floppies -- and before MP3-Boss would add the re-written CD/DVD as if it were a brand new CD each time it was updated.  Now it is a lot more intelligent, but identifying an updated CD/DVD is remarkably complicated.  Comments welcome!

Board footer